Muineachán v Aointrim - USFC QF - 09/06/13

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 03, 2013, 11:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

I wasn't at the game but it looked pretty poor from the highlights and what was being said on the radio.  It was very poor from Antrim and I really can't see us winning a qualifier on that performance.  Three points from play in 70-odd minutes of football is well,...embarrassing.  No score from play in the 2nd half and no score at all for approx. 35 mins.  It seems the plan, if there were one, was damage limitation and try to win 0-6 to 0-5.

I'm not sure what Dawson's thinking is.  Maybe he thinks deep down that with that panel of players if he tries to play football the score will end up 3-18 to 1-12.  Personally I'd take that over 0-6.  It's only 4 years since we were in an Ulster Final.  Yesterday took us back to the dark days of 18 years without a championship win.  I would like to think that we're better than that but maybe we aren't.

I spoke to someone who was at the game and the only positives were Mark Sweeney, Sean McVeigh and he had a good word for young Patrick McBride who as my friend put it "at least looked like he was trying".

johnneycool

Quote from: ck on June 10, 2013, 12:02:09 AM
Quote from: babarino on June 09, 2013, 11:31:50 PM
Quote from: cville on June 09, 2013, 11:16:53 PM
That was absolutely abysmal from an ANTRIM perspective. They had no vision, coordination and, an the end of the day, no BALLS! They were a man up and hadn't a clue how to play the game out. The number of 'turnovers' was appalling. It basically boiled down to a team of inexperienced, inept, passion-less individuals running about embarrassing their county. Really need to go back to the drawing board. But, Spillane hit the nail on the head and the other 31 counties are laughing. Gutless! Mr Dawson .. explain.. if u can?

I think you're being a bit harsh there. I'm sure the players did their best, but weren't good enough against better, if not quality, opposition. Your manager seems a bit deluded though. Also Antrim lost 3 of their better players after what looks like poor man management. Antrim attacks were snuffed out by physically stronger players. If I was an Antrim supporter I wouldn't gang up on the players.

Who suggested ganging up on players?!
The manager has a huge case to answer though. Players not playing for him, others being dropped and more players being brought in weeks before the cship. You couldn't make it up. Then we witness this showpiece today.

When I see this talked about it takes me back to a statement made by Damian Fitzhenry, the former Wexford goal keeper, when asked if he'd ever refused to play for a manager around the time of the Cork hurlers strike, his response was along the lines of; 'I play for no manager, I play for Wexford'.

Sometimes deluded players need to remind themselves of that.

Glensman

Quote from: johnneycool on June 10, 2013, 10:50:02 AM
Quote from: ck on June 10, 2013, 12:02:09 AM
Quote from: babarino on June 09, 2013, 11:31:50 PM
Quote from: cville on June 09, 2013, 11:16:53 PM
That was absolutely abysmal from an ANTRIM perspective. They had no vision, coordination and, an the end of the day, no BALLS! They were a man up and hadn't a clue how to play the game out. The number of 'turnovers' was appalling. It basically boiled down to a team of inexperienced, inept, passion-less individuals running about embarrassing their county. Really need to go back to the drawing board. But, Spillane hit the nail on the head and the other 31 counties are laughing. Gutless! Mr Dawson .. explain.. if u can?

I think you're being a bit harsh there. I'm sure the players did their best, but weren't good enough against better, if not quality, opposition. Your manager seems a bit deluded though. Also Antrim lost 3 of their better players after what looks like poor man management. Antrim attacks were snuffed out by physically stronger players. If I was an Antrim supporter I wouldn't gang up on the players.

Who suggested ganging up on players?!
The manager has a huge case to answer though. Players not playing for him, others being dropped and more players being brought in weeks before the cship. You couldn't make it up. Then we witness this showpiece today.

When I see this talked about it takes me back to a statement made by Damian Fitzhenry, the former Wexford goal keeper, when asked if he'd ever refused to play for a manager around the time of the Cork hurlers strike, his response was along the lines of; 'I play for no manager, I play for Wexford'.

Sometimes deluded players need to remind themselves of that.

I could not agree more with this. Having played under a number of different managers I know the effort/commitment/time that goes into it. Significantly more effort and thought than a player in my opinion.

A bit of respect is the least that is deserved.

Buswhacker

Yes I think that our prima donna players should remind themselves that they are playing for their county instead of manager.
They would need to hurry up as some of them are getting a bit long in the tooth and their chances of playing county football is coming to an end. Of course most of them wouldn't get a game for any other county. One of our best will struggle to get a game with Cork, I'm watching that one with interest.

Wildweasel74

well we give that lad the benefit of the doubt, couldnt see the county board paying for his air miles to train and hes at the other end of the country