Dubai

Started by heffo, August 16, 2013, 02:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Have a long haul work trip coming up and am flying through Dubai.

Is it worth stopping off for a night or two? Is it expensive? Anything worth seeing?

SLIGONIAN

yes and yes, look up trip adviser, theres loads to do, hotels are cheap because of oversupply. enjoy but remember its muslim country so dont do anything to crazy.. weather is very hot this time of yr though so you maybe limited in that way...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

God14

Its expensive for booze Heffo, food prices vary as to where your eating. If your in a 5star hotel expect to pay top dollar, but likewise there are food courts etc that cater to all tastes & budgets. Its definitely worth a stop over, some great sites including indoor ski slope at the mall of the emirates, some great architecture! Serious bling, and tacky at times but if you can fit it in - do just that.

supersarsfields

We stopped of on our Honeymoon when heading to Kenya. Stayed for 3 days and loved it. It was two years ago next week actually. It should be just after Ramadan as well IIRC. It was definitely expensive, but would definitely reccommend it.

armaghniac

Not the best time of year though, a bit hot for me.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Could try the Irish Village pub. Was stuck in Dubai for 6 days during the volcano shenanigans in 2010 and after doing all the touristy things in first day or so this place kept me sane

heffo

93-DY-SAM

Def worth a stop over but 2 or 3 days will be more than ample. One bit of advice I would give you, if you want to go up to the top of the Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world) book your tickets in advance before you go esp. if you are only going to be there for a few days as it tends to be pretty much booked up. Was there a few years ago and the next available slot to go up was day after we left.

They do a ticket where you can pay extra (think it was about £75) which meant you could jump the queue and go up there and then. I was pretty disappointed we didn't get up. Looking back wish I hadn't been such a tight f**ker and just paid it.

lynchbhoy

Give me a shout heffo if you want any more info - been there twice.
First time it was cheap enough , but 5 years later ( 3 yrs ago) it had went ott exp and changed into a more strict muslim place from the fairly liberal place it was.
If you like kebabs, shwarma, mezze, middle eastern food then you can ask a cab to bring you to an ethnic local Pakistani, Persian, Iranian, Lebanese restaurant where the locals go. Enjoyable food and culture etc. also try the Beirut cafe. Loads of great cheap and good middle eastern food. No booze though - but that didnt bother me

heffo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2013, 10:48:06 AM
Give me a shout heffo if you want any more info - been there twice.
First time it was cheap enough , but 5 years later ( 3 yrs ago) it had went ott exp and changed into a more strict muslim place from the fairly liberal place it was.
If you like kebabs, shwarma, mezze, middle eastern food then you can ask a cab to bring you to an ethnic local Pakistani, Persian, Iranian, Lebanese restaurant where the locals go. Enjoyable food and culture etc. also try the Beirut cafe. Loads of great cheap and good middle eastern food. No booze though - but that didnt bother me

Cheers Lynchboy - have to the Middle East before and like the food so sounds up my road