Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: screenexile on June 04, 2019, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: Franko on June 04, 2019, 05:01:53 PM
We didn't need to hear it as we knew it already... but the prize for no deal is that the US gets it's grubby mitts on the NHS.

Confirmed today by the orangutan.

Can wait until the legal US drug dealing conglomerates get in the door here.

Divide and conquer.

The first decent thing Teresa May has done in a long time was get him to confirm that!!!

Totally f**ks the Brexiteers up there is no way that the country wants to lose the NHS not a f**king chance and now Remain have something concrete to use for the next election/confirmatory vote etc.

Video of Farage talking about moving to an insurance type system as well this should be gold to remain politicians and they need to drive it home!!

I thought the same myself. I can't help wonder how history will remember Theresa. Yes, she was a clueless PM. Can't help now reflect back thinking she tried her best (not good enough) to avoid a hard Brexit or no deal Brexit. Now that she has been defeat, fire that in now to show that the big casualty for Britain will be -  the NHS.
Testing Accessibility

five points

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2019, 12:21:27 PM
I wouldn't be so sure remain would win a referendum.A lot of Brits and that includes Asian and Irish immigrants are pro Brexit and white anglos are so self obsessed that they believe that the sun still doesn't set on the Empire and that free trade agreements will all be one way traffic.

No white anglo under 80 years of age can remember the Empire. The notion that the ordinary mass of Brit citizens ever cared for Empire is kinda funny too.

screenexile

Quote from: ziggysego on June 06, 2019, 12:38:24 PM
We didn't need to hear it as we knew it already... but the prize for no deal is that the US gets it's grubby mitts on the NHS.

Divide and conquer.

The first decent thing Teresa May has done in a long time was get him to confirm that!!!

Totally f**ks the Brexiteers up there is no way that the country wants to lose the NHS not a f**king chance and now Remain have something concrete to use for the next election/confirmatory vote etc.

Video of Farage talking about moving to an insurance type system as well this should be gold to remain politicians and they need to drive it home!!

I thought the same myself. I can't help wonder how history will remember Theresa. Yes, she was a clueless PM. Can't help now reflect back thinking she tried her best (not good enough) to avoid a hard Brexit or no deal Brexit. Now that she has been defeat, fire that in now to show that the big casualty for Britain will be -  the NHS.

Her calling of the General Election was the biggest mistake she made and set the scene for the shambles that followed!!

She did that herself thinking she was bulletproof!

sensethetone

Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2019, 12:47:16 PM

Divide and conquer.

Her calling of the General Election was the biggest mistake she made and set the scene for the shambles that followed!!

She did that herself thinking she was bulletproof!

She called the GE because the ERG told her to.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

93-DY-SAM

Divide and conquer.

If that was her trying her best it was woeful. She let the tail wag the dog the whole way through this process - both the hardline Brexiteers in her party and the DUP. Triggering Article 50 without any clue as to the deal that was to lie ahead was utter stupidity. The various back tracking proved she was weak. Mind you she was probably the best of a bad lot which says all you need to know about the state of politicians in Westminster. The fact Corbyn and the Labour party can't get any traction or make any headway against a Tory party tearing itself apart shows how incompetent they are as well. The genie is well and truly out of the box and that is in no small part to May and Cameron before her constantly trying to appease this group and to hell with everyone else.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on May 31, 2019, 10:52:23 PM
Quote from: maddog on May 30, 2019, 11:01:13 AM
Fairly convinced it would be 60/40 to remain.
Not sure of that, judging by the euros. It was a great chance for the people to make themselves heard in what was a meaningless election but effectively a very important opinion poll. This was the Guardian's synopsis:

The results of the European elections told us exactly what we already knew: that the country is hopelessly split. Just over a third of the country want a no-deal Brexit and roughly another 40% want to remain in the EU. The remainder want to leave with a deal, though they are unable to say exactly what kind of deal, just not the one that was offered.

Plus telling people they didn't understand what they initially voted for will backfire badly!
Again, it'll probably come down to who runs the best campaign, and not sure that's a strong point of the remainers...

This is exactly correct. Anyone who thinks Remain would certainly be the result of a new referendum is living in a fantasy world....there is simply no evidence to back that up. Britain is hopelessly divided over this with none of the three broad options (no-deal, deal, remain) able to get to 50% or even close. Farage stole a huge % of the Conservative vote becasue those people just want out of the EU at any cost. Lib Dems doubling down for remain took a lot of committed remainers, frustrated with Corbyn's inability to conjure the impossible (a majority for Remain and a new referendum), off Labour. Will they vote that way in a GE? We may soon get to find out. I find it hard to see the Tories electing someone who will get a majority in the parliament.

seafoid

There is a 3 way civil war in the UK between fascists (No deal), Neoliberals (Remain Lib Dems ) and Lefties (Labour)
None can muster a majority but a GE would shake things up , most likely in favour of Labour

Maiden1

Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2019, 03:52:29 PM
There is a 3 way civil war in the UK between fascists (No deal), Neoliberals (Remain Lib Dems ) and Lefties (Labour)
None can muster a majority but a GE would shake things up , most likely in favour of Labour
What if a GE matched the results of the European elections?  First past the post in each constituency.

There are no proofs, only opinions.

Rossfan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 06, 2019, 12:01:44 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 05, 2019, 11:55:28 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 24, 2019, 03:24:22 PM
I think Boris will reverse the long trend of favourites not winning and win.

He will try to deliver a no-deal Brexit by circumventing Parliament - it is the only way it CAN be delivered in the current situation, you can be sure that that  is the manoeuvring going on in the background with all Brexit hardliners.

Gove is the most capable and slippiest of all imo.

Edit - just realised no matter what manoeuvres they try to pull they'll still have to pass legislation in some form so they can't totally circumvent HP.
Just read on Twitter there that Rabb (& ERG in general) are advocating Parliament be proroged in late October to ensure UK leaves without Parliament being able to halt it.
Surely that would be a constitutional crisis and would surely end in a legal challenge. Rabb is a t**ser.
I believe Speaker Bercow has said he wont allow Parliament to be prorogued for such a purpose.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Maiden1 on June 06, 2019, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2019, 03:52:29 PM
What if a GE matched the results of the European elections?  First past the post in each constituency.

Turnout was 13 m I think

Basically committed voters
GE would be higher
Referendum had 33m

Also Euro elections are like a free vote . gE is more disciplined
See these 2 polls from April and see how Brexit/Con proportions change

Westminster voting intention (ft. new parties):

LAB: 32% (+1)
CON: 28% (-4)
LDEM: 11% (-1)
BREX: 8% (+3)
UKIP: 6% (-1)
CHUK: 3% (+3)
GRN: 3% (-1)

via
‪@YouGov‬
, 10 - 11 Apr
Chgs. w/ 03 Apr

First Labour lead with YouGov since July 2018. W

Britain Elects

@britainelects

European Parliament voting intention:

BREX: 27%
LAB: 22%
CON: 15%
GRN: 10%
LDEM: 9%
UKIP: 7%
CHUK: 6%

Applesisapples

Quote from: five points on June 06, 2019, 12:44:01 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2019, 12:21:27 PM
I wouldn't be so sure remain would win a referendum.A lot of Brits and that includes Asian and Irish immigrants are pro Brexit and white anglos are so self obsessed that they believe that the sun still doesn't set on the Empire and that free trade agreements will all be one way traffic.

No white anglo under 80 years of age can remember the Empire. The notion that the ordinary mass of Brit citizens ever cared for Empire is kinda funny too.
Did not say they remembered it but it culturally ingrained in them, and also a lot of the higher class Indians whose families were part of the ruling class in the Raj. People of my generation do not remember the famine, but culturally it is still ingrained in our attitudes to food, food waste etc...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Ronnie on May 30, 2019, 07:55:24 AM
Conservatives as led by May and Labour as led by Corbyn were both elected on manifestos promising to 'deliver Brexit', therefore, all else being equal and with the land as it stands (and presuming it will continue to stand), the UK wants to leave the EU.

Most of the voters are that stupid and set in their ways that if both parties campaigned on nuking the country, they'd probably still get elected 1st and 2nd (in no particular order).

How many utter retards would say: "I voted XXXX because my da voted XXXX and his da before him voted XXXX"
i usse an speelchekor

Eamonnca1

Dominic Raab wants to prorogue Parliament to force a no-deal Brexit through. So much for "taking back control" and restoring power to national parliaments. If this isn't a right-wing power grab I don't know what is.

Maiden1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 06, 2019, 05:13:22 PM
Quote from: Ronnie on May 30, 2019, 07:55:24 AM
Conservatives as led by May and Labour as led by Corbyn were both elected on manifestos promising to 'deliver Brexit', therefore, all else being equal and with the land as it stands (and presuming it will continue to stand), the UK wants to leave the EU.

Most of the voters are that stupid and set in their ways that if both parties campaigned on nuking the country, they'd probably still get elected 1st and 2nd (in no particular order).

How many utter retards would say: "I voted XXXX because my da voted XXXX and his da before him voted XXXX"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TDGSZDZhM
There are no proofs, only opinions.