TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on May 26, 2020, 12:40:30 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2020, 08:35:03 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2020, 05:52:32 PM
That's interesting reading gold. Was pj ohare a basket baller? Was he any good? I mind seeing big John Kennedy playing for st galls. If I remember rightly he was a notable basket baller too?

PJ and the MvGourtys and Michael Gribben were all big players on that team Fra Dick also great player and all turned out for the club, hurling and football!

Apparently PJ was great as was Sean McGourty but just before my time.

Big John Kennedy was v strong, great player, as was his brother Paul, v classy player. Aidan Donnelly who played GAA for St Pauls and Antrim for years was a lightening fast point guard for St Galls as was his brother Fergie. All those men wouldve travelled serious miles to play away games in packed Saturday night halls in places like Cork and maybe drove home straight after.  Serious commitment but id say the craic was good too...the noise in Andytown leisure centre was serious...all us kids allowed on at half time to shoot...class times.
Andytown also hosted the Allstar Game 1 year (now defunct) which was basically just 6 foot 5, giant American players dunking on each other...the athleticism was off the charts to see up close...class occasion!

Great sport for helping control a ball in tight spaces and keeping your head up and eyes open.

The fitness levels to go up and down the court constantly is crazy, we played during PE classes at school and I've been pretty fit as a kid but i was gassed quickly during it.

I remember Maguire used to say you train at 3/4 pace with the odd burst in between. But it never felt like that. Remember Aidan playing too, serious spring
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I never knew any of that about st galls. Basketball I haven't watched much of but used to play a bit with a friend growing up but he was a touch better than me and did some jump training so could dunk it on a 10 foot board. If there was something like that in belfast these days I'd likely go to it a bit.

johnnycool

Went to college in Belfast with a lad who played basketball for Dungannon back in the late 80's. I think they played in that league also.

Are those teams still on the go?

bennydorano

Aidan Donnelly (& maybe a brother or some other Belfast lad?) won A grade All Irelands with St Pat's Armagh. Remember him coming down to play in the past pupils blitz that used to be a big thing in Armagh too.

screenexile

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 24, 2020, 11:53:42 PM
Stumbled across a 6 part mini-series called from 2017 Broken on Netflix that I hadn't seen discussed on here.

Sean Bean plays a priest in a poor part of Sheffield.
I found it enjoyable - well written and shot. Sean Bean puts in some great performances.

His versatility as an actor is sublime along with the range of accents he has!!  ;D ;D

To be fair I really like him but he doesn't stray too far from the comfort zone if there's anything decent being filmed in the north of England I'd say he gets the first call!

Denn Forever

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2020, 09:49:35 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 24, 2020, 11:53:42 PM
Stumbled across a 6 part mini-series called from 2017 Broken on Netflix that I hadn't seen discussed on here.

Sean Bean plays a priest in a poor part of Sheffield.
I found it enjoyable - well written and shot. Sean Bean puts in some great performances.

His versatility as an actor is sublime along with the range of accents he has!!  ;D ;D

To be fair I really like him but he doesn't stray too far from the comfort zone if there's anything decent being filmed in the north of England I'd say he gets the first call!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gold

Quote from: johnnycool on May 26, 2020, 09:14:25 AM
Went to college in Belfast with a lad who played basketball for Dungannon back in the late 80's. I think they played in that league also.

Yeah Dungannon/Tyrone Towers still play but arent Superleague anymore

Belfast Star as i said won this years All Ireland Superleague, beating Kieran Donaghys Tralee into 2nd spot. Games are played in La Salle School in Andytown. Great weekend entertainment and atmosphere....especially when a big game v Donaghy etc
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Gold on May 27, 2020, 01:30:46 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 26, 2020, 09:14:25 AM

Yeah Dungannon/Tyrone Towers still play but arent Superleague anymore

Belfast Star as i said won this years All Ireland Superleague, beating Kieran Donaghys Tralee into 2nd spot. Games are played in La Salle School in Andytown. Great weekend entertainment and atmosphere....especially when a big game v Donaghy etc

Didn't st Galls Basketball team go on to become Team Corona?

Tony Baloney

Permission to ask a tv question on the basketball thread? Anyone seen Snowpiercer and is it worth a watch?

JimStynes

Little Fires Everywhere is decent on Amazon Prime. Had watched the trailer for that Snowpiercer today. Doesn't seem to my sort of show but nothing else to watch so might give it a go.

quit yo jibbajabba

"I know this much is true" sky atlantic, pretty decent. Ruffalo always decent viewing

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 27, 2020, 09:45:50 AM
Permission to ask a tv question on the basketball thread? Anyone seen Snowpiercer and is it worth a watch?

Watch the movie. It's brilliant.

Don't watch the TV show. It's shite.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on May 27, 2020, 01:36:12 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 27, 2020, 09:45:50 AM

Watch the movie. It's brilliant.

Don't watch the TV show. It's shite.
Ach balls I thought when I got the reminder from Netflix it was for the movie by Director Bong. Aye I'll seek out the movie.

bennydorano

Found a show on Amazon Prime called Loudermilk, 3 episodes into S1 and it's getting pretty funny

Main Street

Quote from: JoG2 on May 22, 2020, 10:16:49 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 22, 2020, 10:02:38 PM
I never would have guessed that basketball was such a popular sport here with so many knowledgeable followers, who must have played the game at some level themselves and avidly followed the fortunes of Michael Jordon et al in the NBA in the 1990s, however that was possible -  perhaps by a transatlantic phone connection?
Perhaps we just knew things differently before broadband. We'd look at a photo in the newspaper and just know that such and such was a class act.

No Channel 4 in the Free State?
In my secondary school in the 1970s there was a basketball set up in the gym but nobody played it. I don't recall any reference to basketball as a sport in Ireland the 1980s.
I'm not a resident of the free state nor haven't been for decades. I got a skybox at the end of the 1990s and don't recall any basketball on it.
I presumed because Ireland are as poor internationally at basketball as they are at say team handball, that it was a sport that irish people don't take to in numbers. But perhaps it is a very popular sport these days, even though competively it's at a low standard.