Red card for Gordon and first prize in acting to..

Started by wobbller, July 27, 2008, 11:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Hopefully the weekend of the last Sunday in September ;D

Maguire01

Nice to see they highlighted the Roper (non)incident too. He went down like he has been shot, the only difference being that the ref waved play on and told him to get up. He tried a dive later in the game too and it didn't work that time either.

Hardy

When are we going to tackle this play-acting poison in the game? If we can use video evidence to hang a lad for losing his temper, why can't we use it to punish severely these cowardly, cynical cheats who are doing the exact opposite and acting in a calculated, pre-meditated way to cheat their opponents and the rest of us?

Injury-feigning, face-clutching, exaggerated collapsing and other such nancy-boy histrionics are far worse offences against the spirit and purpose of sport than a slap thrown in anger, and even worse again than an accidental collision or a mistimed tackle. Yet every minor physical transgression is ruthlessly pursued while the cheats get away with it every time.

We have our priorities arseways.

screenexile

Quote from: Tyrones own on July 28, 2008, 02:01:16 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 28, 2008, 12:58:02 AM
Quote from: downgirl on July 27, 2008, 11:46:34 PM
Yea they showed a few mins of it there on the Sunday game...highlighted the red card incident and they all agreed it was a legitimate shoulder with no intent and he should get his appeal!

It was nt a legitimate shoulder - the ball was nt even in play. What it was though was a disgraceful act by Clancy , feigning a contact to his face that did not happen. Ref was conned but even the best professional refs get conned in other sports. Why are top players behaving like this. Dooher made a meal of his issues as well. Do these players feel the Ref is not giving them enough protection in general and try to even things up when they get a chance? If this shite was happening in club/underage matches you would nt be able to run off competitions.

I didn't see the Gordon incident so won't comment but with regards to Dooher and your question above,
for obvious reasons he's a marked man to slow down or stop any chance a marker would get and from what i see they don't miss too many.
With that said, explain to me why Dooher didn't have every right to go down after being punched regardless of where he's struck,
A strike is a strike is it not ???
It's not like it doesn't happen up and down the length of the country but then that seems to get lost in the mist ::)

Nonsense! Dooher lay down like a calf when there wasn't much wrong with him. Rumour from Tyrone training that he can hold 'the plank' for well over 10 mins so nobody's going to tell me that a crappy rabbit punch like the one he received would actually hurt him so much that he falls to the ground like he's ruptured his spleen. And as for "Have every right to go down"... what the hell does that mean? No of course you don't have any right to go down unless the blow you receive means that you must fall to the ground. If the ref saw it the Westmeath fella deserved to go but in my opinion Dooher tried to con the ref into thinking it was worrse than it was! I don't think the punch Dooher received was enough to warrant him going down as if his kidney exploded, for me the only reason he went down was to get the man sent off and in this case it is a cowardly act not in the spirit of the game! But then it is Tyrone so I wouldn't expect much else really!

phpearse

..I take it Screenexile you were equally as outraged that Liam Hinephy went down like his 'kidney exploded' when Kevin Hughes tickled his ribs in the first round game in 2006. I believe Hinephy was down for long enough to see Hughes sent off and was then back on his feet again very quickly. Point is that if you stike off the ball you get the line. A slap like that with the ball in hand and the player goes on ahead, if it's off the ball why should the player try and save the fool that struck. The Dooher incident is not comparable to Rooper and Clancy who I'm sure will be quite embarrased to see those incidents again on TV

bingobus

Three horrible incidents over the weekend, where players are trying to get opponents sent-off. Westmeath man deserved to go for his punch . Clancy should have a real look at himself, as should Roper. These 3 apart, it is becoming more and more common for players on every team to go down easy to get a cheap free.

As Tommy Lyons said last night, footballers need to get some integrity and have a look at where they are going with the game. Once again the Hurlers from yesterday are prime examples of how it should be done.

If footballers are going to continue to go down this route it is yet poison taking grip of the game.

loughshore lad

Quote from: phpearse on July 28, 2008, 09:43:20 AM
..I take it Screenexile you were equally as outraged that Liam Hinephy went down like his 'kidney exploded' when Kevin Hughes tickled his ribs in the first round game in 2006. I believe Hinephy was down for long enough to see Hughes sent off and was then back on his feet again very quickly. Point is that if you stike off the ball you get the line. A slap like that with the ball in hand and the player goes on ahead, if it's off the ball why should the player try and save the fool that struck. The Dooher incident is not comparable to Rooper and Clancy who I'm sure will be quite embarrased to see those incidents again on TV

phpearse - pay no attention to Screenexiles comments RE Dooher. He permanently has the anti Tyrone hat on but then again now that his beloved Derry have sh#t in the nest (again) despite all his talk of how good they are/were I suppose he has little else to occupy his time  ;D  ;)

screenexile

What do you want from me? Hinphey shouldn't have went down like he needed surgery that time? Of course he shouldn't it was basically the same thing and I'm not about to introduce any double standards and make up lies about it. Do you want me to go through the list of Tyrone's play actors? I could be here all day!!!

As for Derry shitting the nest it is also a true statement but I could honestly say that if we's played Tyrone on any day this year we would've beaten them... talk about your easy runs! I wouldn't be gloating too much about this season yet loughshore!!

SCENTOFSAM

Quote from: bingobus on July 28, 2008, 09:44:42 AM
Three horrible incidents over the weekend, where players are trying to get opponents sent-off. Westmeath man deserved to go for his punch but Dooher is due a proper slap that really will put him down. Clancy should have a real look at himself, as should Roper. These 3 apart, it is becoming more and more common for players on every team to go down easy to get a cheap free.

As Tommy Lyons said last night, footballers need to get some integrity and have a look at where they are going with the game. Once again the Hurlers from yesterday are prime examples of how it should be done.

If footballers are going to continue to go down this route it is yet poison taking grip of the game.
I must agree with a lot that Tommy lyons said last night, particularly the role of the GPA in all this. I think it is imperative that they come out clearly on this issue on the side of the Games and the integrity of the association itself. This nonsense has crept in over the last few years and there is no one county more guilty than another nor one club more guilty than another, but it is ruining the game.

loughshore lad

I am not gloating about Tyrones season at all exile, it could easily be over this weekend or we could stretch it out a bit more.  Most clued in Tyrone fans know we are not the team of old, to me the fact we are still there and have hopes of going further illustrates more about the lack of quality else where than the quality of our team.  With respect to your original post about diving, play acting etc I agree its something that needs to stamped out of the game and also agree some Tyrone players including Dooher go down far too easy, however, its a widespread issue and every county inclding your own has a number of culprits.

lynchbhoy

regarding ropers shameful dive, I think he has already had his punishement...
he has cost his county side the game and progression to the next round by his actions

by diving like a soccer player, he coughed up the ball for an easy monaghan score , and as Donegal lost by a point - I would blame roper.

his team mates shouldnt be too happy with him either.

nrico2006

QuoteNonsense! Dooher lay down like a calf when there wasn't much wrong with him. Rumour from Tyrone training that he can hold 'the plank' for well over 10 mins so nobody's going to tell me that a crappy rabbit punch like the one he received would actually hurt him so much that he falls to the ground like he's ruptured his spleen. And as for "Have every right to go down"... what the hell does that mean? No of course you don't have any right to go down unless the blow you receive means that you must fall to the ground. If the ref saw it the Westmeath fella deserved to go but in my opinion Dooher tried to con the ref into thinking it was worrse than it was! I don't think the punch Dooher received was enough to warrant him going down as if his kidney exploded, for me the only reason he went down was to get the man sent off and in this case it is a cowardly act not in the spirit of the game! But then it is Tyrone so I wouldn't expect much else really!

It didn't look to be the hardest punch in the world but unless you are the one who took it then you wouldn't know how hard or effective it was.  If someone strikes out at you then why would you not go down?  Why should Dooher let tramps like that constantly beat the shit out of him throughout a match?  He takes enough punishment and these players are obviously trying to grind away at him in order to have a detrimental effect on his performance.  Dooher was only after getting wrestled to the ground and subsequently Harte tries to hit him – fair play to Dooher!!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

I'm no fan of Tommy Lyons but he is 100% right on this. His call for the GPA to take a stance is right also but we all know they're only interested in cash so you won't be hearing from them. Clancy should be ashamed of himself for his actions yesterday. Maybe he was watching his team mate Tom Kelly too much. Dooher made a meal of the clip he got too which I don't like to see. Some might say he got the punch right on the solar plexus so even if it wasn't a haymaker it might have hurt (no matter how tough you are there are sensitive places to get a slap). I wouldn't be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though. Roper's one looked awful bad - he was hardly touched.

Its widespread though and singling out these 3 lads might be a tad unfair. I wholeheartedly agree that every game should be reviewed on video and this cheating charged and suspended.

stephenite

Surely the managers are encouraging this also?

Tyrone Dreamer

If you's take the anti Tyrone glasses off first and then review that 03 final you'll see that Jordan clearly got struck on the head. I sitll dont think Marsden should have got sent off and Jordan was at fault for the incident but he did receive a blow to the head. Dooher did not dive on Saturday and was clearly struck on the stomach which at the best of times isnt nice, again if the anti Tyrone glasses are taken of you'll see Dooher does not deserved to be mentioned here.