Cork folk and "you know"

Started by winsamsoon, July 06, 2008, 04:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

What is it with cork ones, everytime i hear a cork person being interviewed every second word seems to be "you" and the third seems to be "Know" . Graham canty was on today after the game and he exhibitted his version of it, though i have heard worse on tv eg sean og .Now it has been a while since i have been in cork but christ almighty if two cork dudes where in a bar conversing the amount of you knows would be staggering. Where does this come from??? and is it a recently new phenomenon.????
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Maguire01

It's the same as northern people saying "like" or Ballymena people saying "hi". The "you know" thing did stand out a few times today for me to though.

winsamsoon

suppose when you are in that environment you don't really know you are even doing it till it is pointed out.

ringy

You know biy thats the way some us talk down here like ;)

winsamsoon

Sandy Hill

Do you know WSS that the word "folk" is one that is a huge favourite of northern Protestants?
"Stercus accidit"

mannix

rosnarun

Im not one for board policing but isnt 'non gaa discussion ' for mindless crap like this. maybe we need to start a  ' Im really really bored'  thread
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Maguire01

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2008, 10:30:26 AM
Im not one for board policing but isnt 'non gaa discussion ' for mindless crap like this. maybe we need to start a  ' Im really really bored'  thread
It is indeed mindless crap, but I assumed the observation was made from Sunday's post-match interviews.

rosnarun

so  if he was wearing an 'interesting' hairstyle we could all discuss hairdressing without threat to our masculinity. Think i know how this works now/

though im as bad for keeping it going
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

billy the kid

Armagh people saying "boy" (pronounced BOI), Belfast spides people saying "mate" and certain parts of North Derry saying Sir (Pronounced SUR) after ever sentence are other examples.  Derry city spides also say "Hi" after every sentence.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

billy the kid

This really is the "my head is melted with boredom thread"
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!