rule 42 again

Started by winsamsoon, August 21, 2007, 12:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Just mulling over the article by JJ Barrett threatening to take the medals won by his father back if god save the queen had been played before the past rugby games. I was wondering was the rugby international the first time the Queen was played in Croke park? Was it played at events like the special olympics for example? It is open to the floor lads.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 21, 2007, 12:33:24 AM
Just mulling over the article by JJ Barrett threatening to take the medals won by his father back if god save the queen had been played before the past rugby games. I was wondering was the rugby international the first time the Queen was played in Croke park? Was it played at events like the special olympics for example? It is open to the floor lads.

I wouldn't have thought so. Unless Notre Dame or Navy decided to honour her majesty or Tina Turner finished the show with it.  The opening and closing ceremonies of the Special Olympics (you're thinking paralympics hardstation) took place at Croker but I don't recall any anthems.

his holiness nb

Quote from: hardstation on August 21, 2007, 12:36:45 AM
Nah, they played the wheels on the chair go round and round.

Jesus Hardstation. Below the belt.
Ask me holy bollix

ildanach

I think it was played during the special olympics, i remember it being said in the media around the time of the ireland v england rugby game.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

magpie seanie

Quotei remember it being said in the media around the time of the ireland v england rugby game

Must be true so.

Star Spangler

QuoteI think it was played during the special olympics,

Why would they have played the British National anthem at the opening/closing ceremony of the special olympics? It was a world games - if they'd played every national anthem when would U2 have got time to play?  ???

we are blue... etc

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 21, 2007, 10:53:42 AM
Quotei remember it being said in the media around the time of the ireland v england rugby game

Must be true so.

Exactly. There were no medal presentations in Croke Park so I'd love to know at what point in between the Corrs and Bono and releasing of doves or balloons all the national anthems were actually played.

Tankie

Yes God Save the Queen was played before the Special Oylimpics. But that doesnt count apparently...... ???
Grand Slam Saturday!

Star Spangler

Quote from: Tankie on August 21, 2007, 11:00:59 AM
Yes God Save the Queen was played before the Special Oylimpics. But that doesnt count apparently...... ???

Why was it played?

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 21, 2007, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: Tankie on August 21, 2007, 11:00:59 AM

Why was it played?

And when? And was every single other anthem played? In Croke Park?

cill_dara

They played snippets of every countrys national anthem as the athletes entered the stadium for the opening ceremony.

we are blue... etc

So if the story is true now it's been downgraded to a snippet...

Bord na Mona man

Slightly off topic, had Australia not changed their National from "God Save the Queen" to "Advance Australia Fair" before the 1984 Olympics, it would have been played in Croke Park for the International Rules Series that year. Talk about a lapdog Uncle Tom nation ...

Had it happened in '84, when the Cafe society were still drinking Maxwell House, the media would have missed a great chance to lecture the GAA about growing up, moving on and whatever else.

Hardy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 21, 2007, 04:50:11 PM
... '84, when the Cafe society were still drinking Maxwell House ...

:D :D

Speaking of Rule 42, does anyone have any comment on the €38 million proceeds from renting Croke Park (so far) that is going straight to grass roots development?

ziggysego

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 21, 2007, 09:51:07 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 21, 2007, 12:36:45 AM
Nah, they played the wheels on the chair go round and round.

Jesus Hardstation. Below the belt.

Made me giggle  :D
Testing Accessibility