Where,What,How for the GAA in Down?

Started by wobbller, July 14, 2007, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

The main argument against the sale of Newcastle iseems to be  concern over there being no playing fields within the confines of Newcastle-a very fair point.Especially since soccer is well catered for within the town boundary.
Presumably,Bryansford club will have to be provided with a quality pitch for underage training/matches within the town.
The pitch behind st pats park could be developed-if this is suitable or available,but more importantly the council owned pitches at Donard park should have a dedicated Gaelic pitch,and regular access to the floodlit astroturf.
The Bredagh situation highlights that GAA clubs will find it impossible to afford their own facilities in urban areas-therefore local council authorities MUST provide more of their urban playing fields for the GAA.

If the understandable concern over urban playing fields by the Bryansford club is the main barrier to the county getting proper training facilities-then surely this should be the main focus of discussion.Some may say that this issue is purely for the Bryansford club,but surely it affects us all as we don't want to lose another urban area.Newcastle up to know has been the only major urban area in Down to have a continual presence in Division 1,and significant underage success.It is imperative that Bryansford club are well looked after in any new deal.

6th sam

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 27, 2007, 12:39:38 PM
The wobller although you make some good points, I think you are missing my point. I used Cross as an example, as I feel they tipify all that is good in the modern GAA. Despite all the distractions of modern life, young people still aspire to play for Cross, because they are the best in the business. Locals reckon the sight of the Cross jersey is enough to beat most teams. We in Down could learn a lot from them and should have teams beat before they enter the field  of play. Sadly we are a long way off.

You've hit the nail on the head 5ive times-young people aspire to play for Cross because they are the BEST.
Wobbler highlights that most clubs have the same opposing distractions-so if any local GAA club is going to succeed ,it has to aspire to be the BEST sporting club in that locality.

Though Cross had always a proud tradition within Armagh,their recent success  commenced on the back of a fairly barren spell for them.
The reason why Cross have dominated is that during that barren spell they committed alot of resources to quality organisation and coaching at underage level.They established a production line of talent which is the reason why they remain at the top table.
They work to a template that should be the gold standard for every club--what do you think the chances are of a Down man getting that template  off Cross???

spiritof91and94

6th, the pitch behind St Pat's park is already passed for a new school with the St Mary's boys and girls amalgalmating onto one site with a bigger school to cater for them being built there. The parish own this land at present but have no imput to local Gaa as there is no money in it for them! The current girls school in Tullybrannigan has been ear marked by the vultures already for housing units with many rumours around that the deal is done and dusted with our PP. Any land inside Newcastle 30mph limits is going at 1.5m an acre so the town sites are out.

Although a old man told me that there is a covenant that was signed years ago stating that St Pat's Pk can only be used by locals for Gaelic Games - this apparently was thrashed out by the Annesley Family when the land was bought all those years ago - if this is the case alot of people will have egg on their faces!!!

southdown

I would love to see state of the art facilities in Down as much as anyone, but the fact is that good facilities dont make a good county team.

They may of course help the development of younger players coming up through the ranks, but that will be a long way off.

The point made earlier that niether Newry or Downpatrick have no teams in Down's top division speak volumes.  Promoting GAA in these two towns is key, simply because of the large catchment areas involved the huge potentilal to unearth new talent.

nrico2006

QuoteTyrone and Armagh have won the last 8 Ulster titles and between them have no training facilities. Tyrone fully rely on the use of club grounds

Tyrone don't fully rely on club grounds.  They frquently use the Youth Sport Omagh complex  and the Mid Ulster Sports Complex in Cookstown.  They have recently bought a site in Garvaghy (halfway between Omagh and Dungannon) to build a major GAA Training complex.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

No1

Never thought I'd see the day when Wobbler would be extolling the virtues of the county board.

Was it 40 pieces of silver or what?  Sell out!  Bar him from the club 5 Sams!

6th sam

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on July 27, 2007, 02:57:20 PM
6th, the pitch behind St Pat's park is already passed for a new school with the St Mary's boys and girls amalgalmating onto one site with a bigger school to cater for them being built there. The parish own this land at present but have no imput to local Gaa as there is no money in it for them! The current girls school in Tullybrannigan has been ear marked by the vultures already for housing units with many rumours around that the deal is done and dusted with our PP. Any land inside Newcastle 30mph limits is going at 1.5m an acre so the town sites are out.

Although a old man told me that there is a covenant that was signed years ago stating that St Pat's Pk can only be used by locals for Gaelic Games - this apparently was thrashed out by the Annesley Family when the land was bought all those years ago - if this is the case alot of people will have egg on their faces!!!

That's unfortunate re lack of availability of land in the town-so it brings back the question of council facilities made available to the GAA.
Regardless of the future of st pats park,Bryansford have a need for further ground anyway.The current state of the surface of st pats park is horrendous--presumably due to overuse.With the recent development of ladies football and inceased training and competitions across all teams, almost every club in the county now requires a 2nd pitch.

How many  Bryansford gaels would welcome the sale of st pat's park if they had access to a greenfield site with 4-5 pitches, some floodlit for training and matches,a sportshall,gym close to the town?In addition a dedicated GAA pitch at Donard park for underage matches/training,and protected use of the floodlit astroturf.With the inevitable loss of the existing school pitch,likely to result in further overuse of st pats park,an urgent solution is required.It seems that regardless of the county's needs-Bryansford have a headache!

Pangurban

If Byransford move closer to Castlewellan, i forsee conflict and poaching raids to equal the The Brown Bull of Cooley

thewobbler

No.1 - this wobbler cannot be bought!

Seriously though,my original point stands. The county board shouldn't be blamed for our performances on the pitch. For that, we should look at the players and management.

bcarrier

We arent as bad as we thought.

Both teams who beat us in last 8.

orangeman

I've already said - Down just don't have ENOUGH good players - they do have some good players and they're surrounded by average enough players in significant positions. No disresepct intended.

mc_grens

spiritof91and94

looks like an announcement is imminent lads - Bryansford have called a Extraordinary AGM for 16th August.

downgael

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on July 30, 2007, 10:01:58 PM
looks like an announcement is imminent lads - Bryansford have called a Extraordinary AGM for 16th August.
If Bryansford agree to sell - i assume next up will be to get County Board to agree to sell - the 16th August also happens to be the night of the next county board meeting?

Lecale2

Any sale has to be approved by Croke Park as well, but that shouldn't be a problem if Bryansford and County Board agree.