International Rules Squad

Started by WT4E, November 11, 2015, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: yellowcard on November 23, 2015, 05:40:55 PM
A game where the score doesn't really matter to anyone bar those involved is hard to get too excited about. That said, it passed an hour and it is always interesting to see how some of the top gaelic players react in a more physical environment. Conor McManus pulled out of a serious amount of balls, while Brogan couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough for fear of being tackled (although he did well on occasions to be fair to him). Gary Brennan and Aidan O'Se were those who shone the most and it was only Ireland's greater ability at working goal chances that won them the match. Australia were better up until 45m from goals but Ireland had the better finishers. Overall though, the reality is that without the dust ups and physicality this game will always be a hard sell.

Bit harsh on Brogan there. Do you not HAVE to get rid of the ball when you're tackled in this game?
The Aristocrat Years

INDIANA

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 23, 2015, 09:50:49 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 23, 2015, 05:40:55 PM
A game where the score doesn't really matter to anyone bar those involved is hard to get too excited about. That said, it passed an hour and it is always interesting to see how some of the top gaelic players react in a more physical environment. Conor McManus pulled out of a serious amount of balls, while Brogan couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough for fear of being tackled (although he did well on occasions to be fair to him). Gary Brennan and Aidan O'Se were those who shone the most and it was only Ireland's greater ability at working goal chances that won them the match. Australia were better up until 45m from goals but Ireland had the better finishers. Overall though, the reality is that without the dust ups and physicality this game will always be a hard sell.

Bit harsh on Brogan there. Do you not HAVE to get rid of the ball when you're tackled in this game?

Other counties should be looking a the genius skill levels of Connolly and Brogan and saying to themselves why don't we have players with this skill-level

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: lenny on November 23, 2015, 07:04:04 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on November 23, 2015, 02:35:39 AM
Have to say I think the rules have been tipped too far in our favour, particularly now that the Aussies have to go softer in the tackle.
I'd get rid of six pointers to even it up a little. Them having to try to train someone to play a completely alien position in a few weeks is a bit too much when they already have to adapt to a round ball and rectangular pitch. Then just have it six points through the big sticks, one through the little ones.
It would be more of a challenge. At the moment most Australians labour under the impression that they're playing us at gaelic football without understanding the many subtle differences. You can try to explain that we'd beat them in an actual Gaelic match by about 3-18 to 1-4 but they don't get it.

I really enjoyed the game on sat evening. Having said that I think it would be worth trying the oval ball for a year or 2. I think the top gaa players would adapt better to it than the aussies do to the round ball.

Have you ever kicked a Sherrin about? It's not easy. It demands a unique kicking style and it's also hard to adapt to the flight of it. Expecting to learn to use it properly in a few weeks would be similar to taking up hurling and expecting to master it quickly. 

Syferus

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on November 23, 2015, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: lenny on November 23, 2015, 07:04:04 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on November 23, 2015, 02:35:39 AM
Have to say I think the rules have been tipped too far in our favour, particularly now that the Aussies have to go softer in the tackle.
I'd get rid of six pointers to even it up a little. Them having to try to train someone to play a completely alien position in a few weeks is a bit too much when they already have to adapt to a round ball and rectangular pitch. Then just have it six points through the big sticks, one through the little ones.
It would be more of a challenge. At the moment most Australians labour under the impression that they're playing us at gaelic football without understanding the many subtle differences. You can try to explain that we'd beat them in an actual Gaelic match by about 3-18 to 1-4 but they don't get it.

I really enjoyed the game on sat evening. Having said that I think it would be worth trying the oval ball for a year or 2. I think the top gaa players would adapt better to it than the aussies do to the round ball.

Have you ever kicked a Sherrin about? It's not easy. It demands a unique kicking style and it's also hard to adapt to the flight of it. Expecting to learn to use it properly in a few weeks would be similar to taking up hurling and expecting to master it quickly.

It's just an oval ball. I think it's a bit of a stupid ball for a fast-paced field sport like Aussie Rules to be using honestly. Needless complications for little gain.

Rossfan

They've been using them since 1858 Syfín.
No doubt when they read your post they'll adopt the round ball immediately ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2015, 11:44:27 PM
They've been using them since 1858 Syfín.
No doubt when they read your post they'll adopt the round ball immediately ;D

It's not a ball suited to the sort of passing that their game deals in. It's too entrenched now to change but it's an oddity more than anything else. Bit like the stupidly large pitches.

Rossfan

Pitches come from originally  using cricket pitches in their off season I suspect. Also like our football their game was mainly a long kicking game up to recent times.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM