BBC.......

Started by wobbller, May 13, 2009, 06:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

The BBC have just announced something re. televising Ulster Championship games--I missed the whole item
but it sounded good.

Doogie Browser

Its in the Irish News today also, they will show 7/8 of the Ulster Championship games live plus any games from AIQF's onwards involving Ulster teams.

ExiledGael

Don't know the ins and outs of what negotiations went on but this is brilliant for fans in Ulster.
Fair play to the BBC and especially to the Ulster Council who had to have worked really hard on this.

Tony Baloney

Jackie Fullerton and David Jeffrey are lined up as the commentary team, with Stephen Watson down by the sideline.

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 13, 2009, 09:15:33 PM
Jackie Fullerton and David Jeffrey are lined up as the commentary team, with Stephen Watson down by the sideline.

And the show will be presented by the life long GAA lover........ Jim Neilly
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

mylestheslasher

Aren't RTE showing all the Ulster championship matches live anyway (apart from Donegal v Antrim).

ExiledGael

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 13, 2009, 09:22:28 PM
Aren't RTE showing all the Ulster championship matches live anyway (apart from Donegal v Antrim).

Ay but you can't access RTE in a lot of areas in the north.

tyrone86

This will be good craic. I wonder will the Ulster Council be so happy with this deal when the arse falls out of the attendances?

FermPundit

Quote from: tyrone86 on May 13, 2009, 10:35:01 PM
This will be good craic. I wonder will the Ulster Council be so happy with this deal when the arse falls out of the attendances?

Good point. I hope the fans turn out in number in Enniskillen this Sunday, even if the game is on TV.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Maguire01

Quote from: FermPundit on May 13, 2009, 10:50:09 PM

Good point. I hope the fans turn out in number in Enniskillen this Sunday, even if the game is on TV.
Why in hell is Sunday's game all-ticket?
I'm probably going to be down home and was thinking of popping along - it's a lot easier if you can just pay on the gate. Unless it actually needs to be all-ticket, it just puts people off.
There was plenty of free space for the Monaghan game last year. Surely Down v Fermanagh wouldn't be a significantly bigger crowd?

FermPundit

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 13, 2009, 10:52:54 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on May 13, 2009, 10:50:09 PM

Why in hell is Sunday's game all-ticket?
I'm probably going to be down home and was thinking of popping along - it's a lot easier if you can just pay on the gate. Unless it actually needs to be all-ticket, it just puts people off.
There was plenty of free space for the Monaghan game last year. Surely Down v Fermanagh wouldn't be a significantly bigger crowd?

It doesn't make any sense why the game is all ticket. Make the John Vesey stand all ticket but not the whole ground. It really does put people off going to the game, especially those who aren't members of their local GAA club. Surley they will be selling tickets at the ground on Sunday?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Fully agree, hope to make my way to a few of the Ulster games but it could be almost impossible.
There's a note in the Irish News today saying that no tickets will be available on the day, you'd have to wonder about the people in charge some times. Crazy.

tyrone86

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 13, 2009, 11:08:29 PM
Fully agree, hope to make my way to a few of the Ulster games but it could be almost impossible.
There's a note in the Irish News today saying that no tickets will be available on the day, you'd have to wonder about the people in charge some times. Crazy.

If I remember rightly there was no tickets on sale on the day of the game for Tyrone v Down in Omagh last year, and I'd say you were 1500 shy of capacity.

Fair play to the BBC - this year they're making the effort - but after the crying last year they had to be seen to do something. I don't know what your typical BBC NI rating on a summer Sunday would be, but I don't think they're onto a ratings loser anyway. I also wonder what the status of the highlights show is in this scenario - considering a high number of what would be considered your core audience goes to club football on a Sunday.

I don't know how the Ulster Council will be recompensed for this - considering they were pleading poverty earlier this year and making noises about needing to raise tickets prices, I don't know what they get out of this? Unless they think the hype of the initial live games will bring out the crowds for the Semi Finals and Final, but 7 out of 8 live games is coming pretty close to saturation point.

thejuice

This is good news, this will keep me out of the pub on Sunday.

Will there be mid-week analysis shows on BBC?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

The Ulster council never sell tickets on the day of a game. All ticket games are those where the crowd is expected to be >80% of the capacity of the ground and they don't want people travelling.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B