Tyrone v Dublin for a place in the aisf. Omagh

Started by rrhf, July 15, 2018, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 07:20:45 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 06:52:18 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 18, 2018, 06:37:27 PM
Despite the attitude of many of the Tyrone lads on this forum that the "glass is half empty" I would not be at all confident of Dublin's prospects for this weekend. Remember that the Dubs are going for their fourth All Ireland title on the trot and the laws of physics would suggest that their charmed run of success can't go on forever. The day will come when they will stumble and there's no reason to believe that it won't be next Saturday.

The only thing that I would say to those who believe that this Dublin team might wilt under the pressure of a hostile "away" environment is that most of this team held on to win out against a fierce Mayo onslaught during the last ten minutes of last years All Ireland final - now that's pressure.     

There's no doubting the bottle of this Dublin team. The only small question I have (or hope that I cling to) is that Dublin know they are going to make it through to the semi finals - barring an absolute miracle v Roscommon back at Croker. So how much do they really need to win this game on Saturday if it turns into a war of attrition? I'm hoping Tyrone will be running through the walls, not just to avenge the poor performance last year but also to give ourselves the upper hand going to a very difficult game in Ballybofey the following week. Its an old worn out phrase about who wants / needs it more? It has to be Tyrone in this particular game. I would worry if we met in a subsequent All Ireland final though.......we aren't going to beat you twice.
Incumbents often destroy pretenders pour encourager les autres.
Dublin won't want to show any weakness in Omagh.

Indeed - but I need something to cling to this week!
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 07:22:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 07:20:45 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 06:52:18 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 18, 2018, 06:37:27 PM
Despite the attitude of many of the Tyrone lads on this forum that the "glass is half empty" I would not be at all confident of Dublin's prospects for this weekend. Remember that the Dubs are going for their fourth All Ireland title on the trot and the laws of physics would suggest that their charmed run of success can't go on forever. The day will come when they will stumble and there's no reason to believe that it won't be next Saturday.

The only thing that I would say to those who believe that this Dublin team might wilt under the pressure of a hostile "away" environment is that most of this team held on to win out against a fierce Mayo onslaught during the last ten minutes of last years All Ireland final - now that's pressure.     

There's no doubting the bottle of this Dublin team. The only small question I have (or hope that I cling to) is that Dublin know they are going to make it through to the semi finals - barring an absolute miracle v Roscommon back at Croker. So how much do they really need to win this game on Saturday if it turns into a war of attrition? I'm hoping Tyrone will be running through the walls, not just to avenge the poor performance last year but also to give ourselves the upper hand going to a very difficult game in Ballybofey the following week. Its an old worn out phrase about who wants / needs it more? It has to be Tyrone in this particular game. I would worry if we met in a subsequent All Ireland final though.......we aren't going to beat you twice.
Incumbents often destroy pretenders pour encourager les autres.
Dublin won't want to show any weakness in Omagh.

Indeed - but I need something to cling to this week!
I think I read somewhere about the 03 team having zero respect for kerry the big opponents . Or maybe it was 05. That would be the place to start.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rrhf

I think there's a big question Dublin need to answer this year. Can Dublin win an all Ireland without their key man who they needed to win the game when the shit hit the fan v Mayo. The treatment of Connolly by management has been so questionable I think it has to come back to bite. Diarmuid who has been their best footballer for 7 years. He's out. It might not be Tyrone best placed to take advantage but perhaps a Galway or Kerry will exploit it better. The game is the poorer withou Connolly and I think the Dubs will be as well. Can Gavin sort this out this year yet?

longballin

Quote from: rrhf on July 18, 2018, 11:10:58 PM
I think there's a big question Dublin need to answer this year. Can Dublin win an all Ireland without their key man who they needed to win the game when the shit hit the fan v Mayo. The treatment of Connolly by management has been so questionable I think it has to come back to bite. Diarmuid who has been their best footballer for 7 years. He's out. It might not be Tyrone best placed to take advantage but perhaps a Galway or Kerry will exploit it better. The game is the poorer withou Connolly and I think the Dubs will be as well. Can Gavin sort this out this year yet?

sure they went through championship last year hardly needing Connolly. Don't know did he play against Tyrone maybe came on late when game was long won. After Kerry's collapse last week will anyone give them the challenge Mayo did in the final? New system means they can take a loss on Saturday and still most likely make semi-final. I can't see them beat unless Tyrone can take them and I don't mean this weekend,  though it would lay down a marker for later if they do.

Syferus

Quote from: rrhf on July 18, 2018, 11:10:58 PM

There are zero questions Dublin need to answer this year, the same as the last four or five years. Connolly was a completely peripheral figure for a few years before he left. The idea that they miss him at all is laughable.

jb81

Don't think connolly came on against Tyrone last year, think there was a big cheer as they thought it was him, but it was someone else.
Don't think they are weakened at all by it. They are the benchmark.

I cant see us winning, but i will take a performance hugely improved from last year, ask some questions, learn something and give them a game for 70+ minutes. And build again, just like we have been doing since the Monaghan game.

I think MH will throw Lee Brennan in if he is fit. If he has a full week training. And maybe move Donnelly into midfield and him and Hampsey do the man marking on Fenton and one sweeper with CC when defending. McShane to miss out.
My team:

M O'Neill
McKernan
McNamee
Hampsey
McCann
Burns
Harte
Donnelly
CC
Bradley
Sludden
Meyler
Brennan
Donnelly
McAliskey

Hound

Connolly was absolutely key to winning the All Ireland last year. Gavin didn't want to bring him on but was big enough to realise we weren't going to win without him (and we wouldn't have). The question is whether there is anyone this year as good as Mayo were last year in that final.

While Howard and Scully deservedly got a lot of praise for their performances last week, what has been lost among all the nonsense about the 10 last minutes of the Donegal game, is how below par Dublin were overall. Con's worst game in a Dublin jersey. Probably Kilkenny's worst game too (scored 1 point from 6 shots). Mannion didnt get a kick. They were the 3 guys supposed to get all our scores from play, but got one between them.

Fenton was very good in the second half, but he had a poor first half. O'Sullivan played like someone who hadnt started a game in a long time. We lost a heap of ball cheaply. We weren't good. But Donegal were worse. Unable to capitalise on our performance. I'd say partly due to no McBrearty, partly due to us not allowing McHugh free reign, and partly due to them not having a positive enough approach. 

So for Dublin, it'll be whether that will be a kick up the backside we need, or whether there is the start of a slow downward spiral. We do have Costello to come in for one of the 3 misfiring lads and he seems to be hot. Kev Mac dependable to make an impact too. Please jaysus we won't see O'Gara, but Gavin sometimes seems to think he's suited to Tyrone.

Playing without an orthodox full back since O'Carroll left has never caught us out. But if other teams can get us 2-on-2 the way Donegal did (thankfully Murphy was never one of those 2), we will eventually pay as we've no defender particularly good under a high ball.

trailer

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2018, 09:34:03 AM
Connolly was absolutely key to winning the All Ireland last year. Gavin didn't want to bring him on but was big enough to realise we weren't going to win without him (and we wouldn't have). The question is whether there is anyone this year as good as Mayo were last year in that final.

While Howard and Scully deservedly got a lot of praise for their performances last week, what has been lost among all the nonsense about the 10 last minutes of the Donegal game, is how below par Dublin were overall. Con's worst game in a Dublin jersey. Probably Kilkenny's worst game too (scored 1 point from 6 shots). Mannion didnt get a kick. They were the 3 guys supposed to get all our scores from play, but got one between them.

Fenton was very good in the second half, but he had a poor first half. O'Sullivan played like someone who hadnt started a game in a long time. We lost a heap of ball cheaply. We weren't good. But Donegal were worse. Unable to capitalise on our performance. I'd say partly due to no McBrearty, partly due to us not allowing McHugh free reign, and partly due to them not having a positive enough approach. 

So for Dublin, it'll be whether that will be a kick up the backside we need, or whether there is the start of a slow downward spiral. We do have Costello to come in for one of the 3 misfiring lads and he seems to be hot. Kev Mac dependable to make an impact too. Please jaysus we won't see O'Gara, but Gavin sometimes seems to think he's suited to Tyrone.

Playing without an orthodox full back since O'Carroll left has never caught us out. But if other teams can get us 2-on-2 the way Donegal did (thankfully Murphy was never one of those 2), we will eventually pay as we've no defender particularly good under a high ball.

Doubts creeping in. Come on! We have ye's now..... Hopefully.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2018, 09:34:03 AM

I was listening to Parkinson's podcast and he mentioned a stat that fits the highlighted bits very well. Dublin were turned over 15 times on Saturday and only turned Donegal on half as many occasions. This indicates that Donegal should be kicking themselves that they didn't get something from the game, especially considering the form of Kilkenny et al.

I still think Dublin will win this but my only morsel of hope is the Dubs will have a below par performance and give up possession like they did on Saturday. Donegal have a better attack than us (when McBrearty is there), however, we are a better team at turning ball over, and more importantly hurting teams on the break.

Should be a good game. My thoughts on team are along these lines:

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McShane
Donnelly
Sludden
Meyler
Bradley
Ritchy D
McAliskey

square_ball

I'd like to see Rory Brennan replace the injured McCarron and leave Bradley and Brennan in reserve for later in the match if it's still in the melting pot. Brennan is a much better option against the Dublin forwards than HP McGeary in my opinion. I can't see Harte changing anything else except that enforced change.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: square_ball on July 19, 2018, 10:46:05 AM
I'd like to see Rory Brennan replace the injured McCarron and leave Bradley and Brennan in reserve for later in the match if it's still in the melting pot. Brennan is a much better option against the Dublin forwards than HP McGeary in my opinion. I can't see Harte changing anything else except that enforced change.

That's the change I'd be making as well. We've competed better around the middle in recent games so I'd leave things as they are there. Judging on other games Hugh Pat looks most likely to come in.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 19, 2018, 10:51:39 AM

That's the change I'd be making as well. We've competed better around the middle in recent games so I'd leave things as they are there. Judging on other games Hugh Pat looks most likely to come in.

Surely it'll be HP considering he's been the first man into defence for the majority of the year if he hasn't already started.

square_ball

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 19, 2018, 11:08:28 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 19, 2018, 10:51:39 AM

Surely it'll be HP considering he's been the first man into defence for the majority of the year if he hasn't already started.

I think it will be HP that Harte goes with but to be honest I haven't been overly impressed with him on any occasion I've seen him. My own preference would be Rory Brennan.

WT4E

High Balls into the square and be aggressive on Cluxton could be key to a win against Dublin - Could we see a reversal of the 08 Twin Towers in defence and put two donnelly bros in there on occasion to test that little t**ker Cooper and his mates!

Whats the story with Michael Cassidy always thought he would come in handy for the right type of game - good player and can get into peoples faces if I remember the U21 All Ireland win?

Also is DD Mulgrerw fit? Thought I saw his name in the Great Rossa Run results competing for the 5k run.

Hound

Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2018, 09:51:54 AM
Doubts creeping in. Come on! We have ye's now..... Hopefully.

There is also the very important aspect that we did hammer yis this time last year! Now that could be a good or bad thing for either side (Dubs: confidence that we're simply the better team / overconfidence - Tyrone: determined to do better / heads down if go behind early).

While league may very well count for nothing, in the league games where Tyrone have matched us in recent years, it has mainly been inability to take scores that has cost you against us. And it's cost you in other bigger games too. Despite the big scores you've been racking up, I'd still count that as a Tyrone concern, i.e. being able to take scores at crucial times. Although you do seem much improved.