UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Yes.And the abolition of Articles 2 and 3,by the Dublin Govt in the South,after being mandated by 90% of the electorate there,coupled with the overwhelming support of northern nationalists for the GFA,means that Irish nationalism freely consents to British Rule in the North.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2017, 01:04:17 PM
Yes.And the abolition of Articles 2 and 3,by the Dublin Govt in the South,after being mandated by 90% of the electorate there,coupled with the overwhelming support of northern nationalists for the GFA,means that Irish nationalism freely consents to British Rule in the North.
until the peoplé decide otherwise.
Everyone on the island is Irish meanwhile.  Says it on the passport.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

It doesn't matter a damn.I cannot think of any other nation in the world that freely seceded hitherto national territory under no duress,without as much as a whimper in 1998.

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2017, 02:01:33 PM
It doesn't matter a damn.I cannot think of any other nation in the world that freely seceded hitherto national territory under no duress,without as much as a whimper in 1998.

Did you express this outrage at the time?

T Fearon

No.I was totally immersed in Armagh's renaissance in the late 90s.

But you see the utter waste of time aspiring or waiting for a United Ireland

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2017, 02:27:14 PM

It's going to happen , it is inevitable at some point and I'm surer than ever after the events of the last 12 months. You might see it as a waste of time but I and I'm sure many other nationalists don't either. If you are around to see it you can sulk in the corner becasue your dream of an independent state is dead and your N Ireland culture will get watered down but you will just have to grin and bear it.

Applesisapples

The North unfortunately is a zero sum state, the Unionists will not allow any semblance of Irishness lest it dilutes Britishness. The GFA operates irrespective of the sovereign government. Presumably if the ROI takes the reins any changes to the assembly etc would be by agreement and MPs would become TDs. The way Unionists are currently playing things is actually driving younger Nationalist voter to the SF cause. The SDLP are helping themselves either and the sour grapes in defeat of Ritchie, Maginniss etc shows a disconect with nationalist voting realities. There is more hope of the pope marrying another man than Tony's idea of a separate NI identity neither side want it.

T Fearon

Sorry,but I don't see any hope in the continued tired Unionist V Nationalist template,which divides and tribalises,has now resulted in the middle ground being annihilated.The fact that this is based on unrequited allegiances to two sovereign entities,neither of whom wants nor understands the Northern Irish, renders the scenario even more nonsensical.

There will not be a United Ireland in my lifetime,because this outcome is not desired by Northern unionists nor the main parties in the South.I have lived right through the troubles from beginning to end,and now resent the blight this has had on my life,and that of thousands of other

seafoid

Your generation will pass on.
The kids will take over
This is how political change works. 
Settler states only survive via extermination.

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2017, 03:08:03 PM

Your generation will pass on.
The kids will take over
This is how political change works. 
Settler states only survive via extermination.

Have you been spending too much time out in the sun?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Eamonnca1

What do yiz think of the chances of another election within a year and Corbyn building on his progress so far to get over the line? If the LibDems get a better leader than that bible-thumping clown they had this time then they might take a handful of seats off the Tories while they're at it. Lib-Lab-SNP coalition?

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 20, 2017, 06:55:40 PM
What do yiz think of the chances of another election within a year and Corbyn building on his progress so far to get over the line? If the LibDems get a better leader than that bible-thumping clown they had this time then they might take a handful of seats off the Tories while they're at it. Lib-Lab-SNP coalition?

Yes the chances of another election is high. Expect plenty more Corbyn-bashing in the press from now until then to do sufficient damage.

seafoid

I think Labour will win next time. Corbyn bashing didn't work. People want change.

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2017, 08:31:10 PM
I think Labour will win next time. Corbyn bashing didn't work. People want change.

The Corbyn bashing will continue from The Express, Daily Mail, The Sun, The Times. However what the last election showed is that the daily newspapers do not have the same hold over people's opinions as they once had. With the advent of Social Media, many people now don't buy newspapers, particularly a younger generation. A lot of people also despise how the country is effectively run by Rupert Murdoch and his ilk for the benefit of themselves.

I don't see any other outcome from Brexit negotiations other than a complete dogs dinner, so Labour have a relatively good chance of at least being in a position to form a coalition government next time around.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: yellowcard on June 20, 2017, 09:11:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2017, 08:31:10 PM

The Corbyn bashing will continue from The Express, Daily Mail, The Sun, The Times. However what the last election showed is that the daily newspapers do not have the same hold over people's opinions as they once had. With the advent of Social Media, many people now don't buy newspapers, particularly a younger generation. A lot of people also despise how the country is effectively run by Rupert Murdoch and his ilk for the benefit of themselves.

I don't see any other outcome from Brexit negotiations other than a complete dogs dinner, so Labour have a relatively good chance of at least being in a position to form a coalition government next time around.

Was just thinking that myself. This election wasn't exactly an "If Kinnock gets elected will the last person to leave Britain turn out the light" moment. The Murdoch gutter-press still seems to have some sway but its power is waning, which is no bad thing.