Quarter Finals Draw - GAABoard beats the media - all now fixed

Started by Barney, July 21, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

I presume this draw will have to take place on next Sunday.

Of course with the GAA making a balls of their calender a proper draw cannot be held.

Limerick and Cork cannot meet again so that means that the winner of Meath/Roscommon will also be kept away from Cork to ensure that this does not arise.

Do we reckon all matches will end up being played in Croke Park or will U2 mess up the turf.

I presume Dublin will get the Bank Holiday Monday to themselves but any of the other matches are unlikely to test the capacity, even as double-headers.

INDIANA

Quote from: Barney on July 21, 2009, 08:25:44 AM
I presume this draw will have to take place on next Sunday.

Of course with the GAA making a balls of their calender a proper draw cannot be held.

Limerick and Cork cannot meet again so that means that the winner of Meath/Roscommon will also be kept away from Cork to ensure that this does not arise.

Do we reckon all matches will end up being played in Croke Park or will U2 mess up the turf.

I presume Dublin will get the Bank Holiday Monday to themselves but any of the other matches are unlikely to test the capacity, even as double-headers.

Can't get the monday if we draw an ulster team because its not a bank holiday up there.
Is this draw an open draw bar teams meeting previously?

Hound

Not quite an open draw - can't be a repeat of a provincial final. But Dublin could play Meath and Cork could play Kerry.

I dobut very much that they would use Bank Holiday Monday for a game, given it would mean supporters up North who work couldnt view it.

One on the Saturday, 2 on the Sunday and 1 the following Saturday would be my bet.

Depending on who's playing, the first Saturday could be a double bill with Meath/Ros v Limerick. Or the QF game the week after could be doubled up with KK v Waterford/Galway on the Sunday, although this is probably less likely.

INDIANA

As I said in another thread. There are serious concerns about Croke Park being ready in time. The residents are kicking up a stink. Can't blame them really. In order to relay the pitch apparently they have to work through the night- which obviously if you're living nearby isn't acceptable really IMO.

Barney

Tyrone are the only team left from the North - they can't play the Dubs.

It really is a disgrace that Croke Park is being dug up in the middle of the championship season.

Provincial champions should get home advantage if it is not ready. GNevin will be delighted to see Dublin play Kerry in Parnell Park. ;)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Barney on July 21, 2009, 09:01:09 AM
It really is a disgrace that Croke Park is being dug up in the middle of the championship season.

Provincial champions should get home advantage if it is not ready. GNevin will be delighted to see Dublin play Kerry in Parnell Park. ;)

Antrim?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2009, 08:57:42 AM
As I said in another thread. There are serious concerns about Croke Park being ready in time. The residents are kicking up a stink. Can't blame them really. In order to relay the pitch apparently they have to work through the night- which obviously if you're living nearby isn't acceptable really IMO.

What a shock the Croke Park Moaners Association is out in full force .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

illdecide

So what time of the year do you want them to do it Barney?. The summer is the logic time of the year as the grass grows like f**k and the pitch will knitt in quicker...if it's done in the winter you run the chance of the grass dying and it not taking to the surface due to s number of reasons ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stpauls

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 21, 2009, 09:07:47 AM

Antrim?

Donegal aswell!!

heffo

Quote from: stpauls on July 21, 2009, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 21, 2009, 09:07:47 AM

Antrim?

Donegal aswell!!

Donegal can play Dublin on the Monday potentially as it's a bank holiday up there

INDIANA

Quote from: Gnevin on July 21, 2009, 09:10:31 AM

You'd be happy if someone was working at 3am next door to you ensuring you couldn't sleep? All to help Bono's pension? Come on.

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2009, 10:34:37 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 21, 2009, 09:10:31 AM

You'd be happy if someone was working at 3am next door to you ensuring you couldn't sleep? All to help Bono's pension? Come on.
I'd say there'd be feck all disruption and all they are looking for is money. As usual.

INDIANA

Just go down to Croke Park and listen to it some time. Anyway as uff.it stands I'd be amazed if they can relay a pitch in 5 days. Crazy stuff.

A Quinn Martin Production

From today's Irish Times:

Football quarter-final draw back to early evening slot

IAN O'RIORDAN

Tue, Jul 21, 2009

THE GAA have outlined details of the All-Ireland football quarter-final draw, which will take place in Thurles on Sunday evening, shortly after the second All-Ireland hurling quarter-final between Galway and Waterford. It marks a return to a more civilised hour following the late, late broadcast of last Sunday's fourth round qualifier draw – something which the GAA say "won't happen again".

The actual format of the quarter-finals will follow that of recent years in that the four provincial winners – Dublin, Cork, Tyrone and Mayo – will go into one bowl, and the four winners of the fourth-round qualifier in the other – Antrim or Kerry, Kildare/ Wicklow, Galway/Donegal, and Limerick/Meath or Roscommon.

The only precondition is the provincial finalist will be kept apart. Therefore, should Kildare beat Wicklow, they can't be drawn again against Dublin. Likewise, should Antrim beat Kerry, they can't be drawn against Tyrone, and similarly, if Galway beat Donegal, they can't meet the Connacht champions Mayo.

However, if Kerry win, they can be drawn against Cork again, as their previous meeting was in the provincial semi-final. Likewise, Dublin could well meet Meath again – should those teams progress.

While originally all four quarter-finals were due to be played on the weekend after next, August 1st/2nd, the delay to one of the fourth-round qualifiers – the meeting between Limerick and either Meath or Roscommon – means at least one of the quarter-finals will be postponed until the following weekend, August 8th/9th.

At their meeting yesterday, the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) didn't enter into the possibilities of which of those quarter-finals would be delayed. However the expectation is Dublin could be given a stand-alone fixture in Croke Park, should the opposition be deemed appetising enough.

"It totally depends on the draw so there was nothing discussed at this stage," said CCCC secretary Pat Doherty. "It depends as well on what team Dublin draw, so there was no point discussing the potential dates at this stage because it would all be mere speculation."

The issue of Croke Park not being available wasn't discussed either. While the stadium is currently a construction site for this weekend's three U2 concerts, the expectation remains the new playing surface will be in place in time for next weekend – despite the incredibly tight deadline of just under three days.

"We've been given a guarantee the pitch will be ready so we've no reason to be thinking Croke Park won't be available and that another venue should be considered," added Doherty.

"So while one of the quarter-final will definitely be put back until the weekend of August 8th, the other three games are still on course to be played in Croke Park on the weekend after next, as scheduled. That's the guarantee we have been given and the one we're working under."
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

meathie

so what happens if Cork comes out and they get Limerick/Meath/Roscommon. While there may be a chance they could meet there may be a chance that Roscommon or us could win and then it would not have to be prevented. how will they work that one??