"GAA is losing ground big time" - McGeeney

Started by Jinxy, March 22, 2018, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 22, 2018, 11:58:29 AM
14 NFL games? the NFL is grand with 7 games the tight schedule this year will have to be adjusted from now on though.

Exactly. If a 14 game league was to exist it probably would be played over the summer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 22, 2018, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 11:24:06 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 22, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 10:59:17 AM
Kildare has 7 rugby clubs Barnhall (Leixlip/Celbridge), Naas, Cill Dara(Kildare) Newbridge, Clane, Athy, North Kildare(Maynooth/Kilcock). 1 u16 Dev Squad which feeds into the Leinster pathway.

I use to coach that u16 squad and notable professional rugby players produced are Adam Byrne, Joey Carberry, Jeremey Loughman and Adam Coyle, all who have played professionally in the last year. None of those 4 players, 2 of whom are props, with the exception of Byrne, whose brother was on the books of Man United, had shown much interest in GAA. So possibly 1 player was lost to Kildare in that period, in years gone by McFadden(Suncroft), Heaslip(Naas), Johne Murphy(Ellistown) Geordan Murphy(Naas) all showed underage GAA potential so any arguement could be made, just not a very strong one.

So player wise the GAA are not really losing out to rugby whereas Cribben, Brophy, Hurley and Flynn all tried their hand at AFL, a bigger threat if you want to call it that.

Attendance wise at county games Kildare is way down because we are shite and living in Dublin's shadow is killing any enthusiasm for the game. However the club game is pretty vibrant, Moorefield won the Leinster Club, Naas CBS won the Br Bosco Cup (Leinster A schools) and our minor teams are competitive, 3 of the last 5 Leinsters.

The majority of Leinster season ticket holders live in Dublin and Dublin GAA seemingly is the model we should all follow.

I like McGeeney but on this he is talking shite.

Yeah, I saw that Dinny.
Great achievement.
It's the first time I've even clocked them playing at 'A' level.
Have they come out of nowhere or is there a lot of work going on there?

Naas GAA deserve a lot of the credit, they completely restructured their underage and are reaping the rewards, Naas CBS have just plugged into that. Cormac Kirwan the new Kildare GAA Operations officer I believe was the brains behind it all. Although some of the other Kildare posters (Kicking King) might have a better insight. The perception of Naas use to be rugby town but that is now definitely being challenged.

Naas CBS play Rice College Westport in the semi-final. First time Rice College have won Connacht. Westport has been always known as a strong Soccer town in Mayo, but the GAA club seems to have put in a serious shift and are reaping the rewards in underage the last couple of years, as well as winning the Intermediate All-Ireland with a very young team.

I was only talking about this the other day, if I was involved in Kildare GAA, I would abandon development squads and start focusing on the 8 biggest secondary schools in the county all of which range from 500 boys to 1000 boys in size and pump coaching and other resources into them. Majority of these schools are touched by 5-10 clubs regardless so the clubs get the benefit as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on March 22, 2018, 12:02:09 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 11:24:06 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 22, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 10:59:17 AM
Kildare has 7 rugby clubs Barnhall (Leixlip/Celbridge), Naas, Cill Dara(Kildare) Newbridge, Clane, Athy, North Kildare(Maynooth/Kilcock). 1 u16 Dev Squad which feeds into the Leinster pathway.

I use to coach that u16 squad and notable professional rugby players produced are Adam Byrne, Joey Carberry, Jeremey Loughman and Adam Coyle, all who have played professionally in the last year. None of those 4 players, 2 of whom are props, with the exception of Byrne, whose brother was on the books of Man United, had shown much interest in GAA. So possibly 1 player was lost to Kildare in that period, in years gone by McFadden(Suncroft), Heaslip(Naas), Johne Murphy(Ellistown) Geordan Murphy(Naas) all showed underage GAA potential so any arguement could be made, just not a very strong one.

So player wise the GAA are not really losing out to rugby whereas Cribben, Brophy, Hurley and Flynn all tried their hand at AFL, a bigger threat if you want to call it that.

Attendance wise at county games Kildare is way down because we are shite and living in Dublin's shadow is killing any enthusiasm for the game. However the club game is pretty vibrant, Moorefield won the Leinster Club, Naas CBS won the Br Bosco Cup (Leinster A schools) and our minor teams are competitive, 3 of the last 5 Leinsters.

The majority of Leinster season ticket holders live in Dublin and Dublin GAA seemingly is the model we should all follow.

I like McGeeney but on this he is talking shite.

Yeah, I saw that Dinny.
Great achievement.
It's the first time I've even clocked them playing at 'A' level.
Have they come out of nowhere or is there a lot of work going on there?
Cormac Kirwan the new Kildare GAA Operations officer I believe was the brains behind it all.

More Dubs helping out Kildare

Need all the help we can get.
#newbridgeornowhere

Orchard park

half Kidare is dubs now sure.

Naas is big enough to be supporting 2 vibrant clubs realistically. Look at what newbridge can do, but in fairness to Naas they are equally promoting hurling

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 12:05:54 PM

Naas is big enough to be supporting 2 vibrant clubs realistically. Look at what newbridge can do, but in fairness to Naas they are equally promoting hurling

2? Naas has a population of 25k.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: yellowcard on March 22, 2018, 11:44:20 AM
I think there is merit in McGeeneys argument but to do this you would have to accept that players will not be available to play club football in the first 6 months of the year. Also bordom levels do set in towards the end of the League once the relegation promotion issues have been settled. I'm not sure a 14 game campaign playing the same teams would have any great appeal as the League draws to a conclusion.

I don't have a problem with more games but I would scrap the provincials and split the AI series into north, south, east and west (4x8 teams) allow every team to enter the AI championship and then run off a second tier competition for teams knocked out of the main competition in the early rounds. The problem is with that of course is that because of the way the GAA is structured, the provincial councils will want to give up their cut of the gate receipts.

The 'beauty' of the current league structure is that more often than not every game counts.
You're going to the final day with at least one promotion & relegation slot up for grabs.
It's probably the best 'real gaa' day of the year, as usually in addition to needing your own team to win, you're praying for someone else to beat your closest rival, whether it's at the top or bottom of the table.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

Agree with Jinxy.

Remember the pre-season comps are run over 4 weeks (apart from the O'Byrne Cup which is longer than War and Peace) so where could you shoehorn in another 7 games as well as club matches is beyond me.

I think there is a bi of Chicken Licken here cos the rugby lads took a few thousand off the AICFs in Croke Park. It's a blue moon thing so no need to panic. Heard it all before with Italia 90, USA 94 yada yada yada.

#savetheobyrnecupbutplaythefeckinfinalwillye

Rossfan

14 NFL games is certainly not a runner anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchard park

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 12:08:21 PM

and the majority are young families are they not.

How does Newbridge support Moorefield and Sarsfields then with a population of circa 23000

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on March 22, 2018, 12:12:34 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 22, 2018, 11:44:20 AM
I think there is merit in McGeeneys argument but to do this you would have to accept that players will not be available to play club football in the first 6 months of the year. Also bordom levels do set in towards the end of the League once the relegation promotion issues have been settled. I'm not sure a 14 game campaign playing the same teams would have any great appeal as the League draws to a conclusion.

I don't have a problem with more games but I would scrap the provincials and split the AI series into north, south, east and west (4x8 teams) allow every team to enter the AI championship and then run off a second tier competition for teams knocked out of the main competition in the early rounds. The problem is with that of course is that because of the way the GAA is structured, the provincial councils will want to give up their cut of the gate receipts.

The 'beauty' of the current league structure is that more often than not every game counts.
You're going to the final day with at least one promotion & relegation slot up for grabs.
It's probably the best 'real gaa' day of the year, as usually in addition to needing your own team to win, you're praying for someone else to beat your closest rival, whether it's at the top or bottom of the table.

NFL is the best format the GAA have but those at HQ will likely chop and change that in the years ahead  ::)

brokencrossbar1

14 competitive league games, a semi and a final. At least 17-18 weeks to run off plus a preseason etc. Why would anyone want to put amateurs through this unless there is some benefits to that person directly or to the players....like making the progressive argument that the 'elite' are effectively now professional and need to be treated as such. Trust me, there is a simple agenda of creating elitism and money backed players. And as someone else said it's that time of year when there is limited things to write about so let's get a mouth piece and create a bit of shit for a few weeks

armaghniac

While the 14 games is too much, perhaps there is a case for a 3 division structure, with a bit less of the preseason stuff.

The GAA must also concentrate on areas of growing population and areas of limited participation and get new clubs going and broader participation schemes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 12:08:21 PM

and the majority are young families are they not.

How does Newbridge support Moorefield and Sarsfields then with a population of circa 23000

Serious? Lurgan has a similar population and 5 clubs. Half the population would have a dislike of all things GAA too!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2018, 12:40:31 PM
While the 14 games is too much, perhaps there is a case for a 3 division structure, with a bit less of the preseason stuff.

The GAA must also concentrate on areas of growing population and areas of limited participation and get new clubs going and broader participation schemes.

I think that should be the case with the same layout as reflects most club scenes with junior intermediate and senior.

Jinxy

I love the idea of plenty of high-quality, competitive home & away fixtures during the spring/summer but that will only happen when we make the league the primary competition.
If you were any use you'd be playing.