Cambridge Analytica & Facebook

Started by screenexile, March 19, 2018, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2018, 09:38:09 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 09:25:01 PM
What specific law did they break and who are "they" ?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/20/david-carroll-cambridge-analytica-uk-courts-us-professor
Facebook is looking at being fined as well so the share price is down

I dont have time to read that link, but did the Trump campaign break any laws?

(Ive been in the car since 5:00 am this morning listening to all sides on satellite radio, and it will be very difficult to pin anything on Trump with this, especially seeing as Obama did something very similar)

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 09:50:53 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/20/david-carroll-cambridge-analytica-uk-courts-us-professor

(Ive been in the car since 5:00 am this morning listening to all sides on satellite radio, and it will be very difficult to pin anything on Trump with this, especially seeing as Obama did something very similar)

Amazing how Trump chumps never "have the time" to read anybody else's links, despite themselves regularly posting up links to utterly transparent rot from the Daily Crackpot, or the American Jot, or the Confederate Stormer, or Real American News From Russia.  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 09:50:53 PM

Jaysus  !

Try these

Max Boot

@MaxBoot

.@anneapplebaum: "Who's put that out?" is exactly what voters have the right to know. If the Internet platforms won't conform to that minimal standard on their own, it's time to regulate them. (link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/03/20/were-you-a-victim-of-cambridge-analyticas-dirty-tricks-the-fact-you-dont-know-is-the-problem/)

He told the Guardian his "great concern" was that if voters received through social media messages tailored to their beliefs and personality, ideas about shared reality and shared sense of civic discourse would be eroded.

"Can this democracy survive this micro-targeting machine," he asked, "and is it going to erode the idea of the public sphere for advertising purposes?"

In his statement to the court, Carroll said he was "concerned that I may have been targeted with messages that criticized [Democratic 2016 presidential candidate] Hillary Clinton with falsified or exaggerated information that negatively affected my sentiment about her candidacy and consequently discouraged me from engaging with the Clinton campaign as a formal or informal volunteer."

Tori Smith Ekstrand

@vekstra

Sec. 230 set up the framework of "no responsibility." Traditional pubs understood this. If not in their businesses, then in court. Internet platforms were given a free pass, no secondary liability for republication. A good idea at the time. But it's gone too far.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/20/facebook-cambridge-analytica-whatsapp-delete

Facebook's troubles entered a fourth day with a rising chorus of people – including the co-founder of WhatsApp – joining the #DeleteFacebook movement as the Federal Trade Commission was reported to be investigating the company's handling of personal data.

Where's Zuck? Facebook CEO silent as data harvesting scandal unfolds

Read more

Momentum gathered behind the #DeleteFacebook campaign, with several media outlets publishing guides to permanently deleting your Facebook account. One surprising voice to emerge was that of Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp, which was bought by Facebook for $19bn in 2014.

Acton, who left WhatsApp in late 2017, posted to Twitter: "It is time. #deletefacebook."

Brian Acton(@brianacton)

It is time. #deletefacebook

March 20, 2018

The backlash has spooked investors, leading shares in the company to fall by more than 9% over the last two days – wiping almost $50bn off the valuation of the company.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

easytiger95

I don't think this is the smoking gun for the Trump campaign (but if it turns out that CA gave the Russians their data to help the troll farms target Republican voters, then that may well be the end of him) but it certainly could be the smoking gun for Facebook.

Just about the comparisons with the Obama campaign - they harvested big data under the existing rules - in that they were allowed target info on friends, as it was permitted under the Ts and Cs.

The difference was they used the info for targeting direct campaign ads and voter registration drives. They did not represent themselves as journalistic sources, they were not pushing fake news stories and they were not targeting negative ads through that medium. the use of online info was to combat the fact that many young voters had no landlines, so couldn't be reached by phone banking.

Facebook changed their terms in 2015 re the harvesting of information from friends lists. There are no indications that the Democrats continued the practice after 2015, nor is there any indication that pre-2015 they were using the information in a false or nefarious manner. Unlike CA.

CA continued the practice after 2015, a breach of data protection laws. CA also used data obtained under the auspices of an academic study for their own commercial and political reasons which was, both before and after 2015, a breach of data protection laws. CA execs have admitted on tape they targeted and sent known fake news articles to vulnerable voters on behalf of the Trump campaign, which, given how Mueller is going at the moment, will also certainly lead to an indictment on the grounds of election tampering and defrauding the United States, and given the amount of dark money that was pouring into and out of CA from super PACs, could also lead to a raft of campaign finance  indictments.

There is no equivalence to the Obama campaign Whitey. Your comparison of a person (who, whatever your views on his politics, has always proven himself to be personally honourable and respectful of democratic institutions) with a sharp elbowed, venal, opportunistic, morally bankrupt huckster and accused sexual predator is odious. So, either you don't believe it, and you are just as cynical as your leader (please stop saying you don't support him, hypocrisy is the worst of all sins) or you do believe it. You're like a man still betting on three card monte after the cops arrest the guy who was doing the trick.

whitey

The story is still developing as are the facts so in my opinion, nothing is absolute at this point in time

I spent all day yesterday in the car and listened to this from various angles so theres a couple of things that need to be pointed out

At the time the Obama campaign pulled/stripped their data, they were in fact in breach of the terms and conditions laid down by Facebook. When Facebook found out they did NOTHING about it because they wanted Obama to win the election. This was explicitly stated in a tweet by one of the most senior staffers from the Obama digital team within the past week.

If that is true, Facebook were willing to bend and break their own rules to further the candidacy of a Democratic candidate over a Republican. So forgive my cynicism, but why the fvck would I then be upset if a Republican candidate went ahead and bent and broke those same Facebooks rules. 

Dealing with the Clintons, is like playing Dublin.....theres no Marquis of Queensbury Rules. The Clinton campaign rigged a primary, they rigged a debate, they changed op eds on the front page of the NY Times, their lackeys in the main stream media actively "promoted pied piper candidates" in the Republican primary....etc etc.

So its mean and nasty and underhand what the Republicans did, but as Harry Reid famously said (when he used privilege of the senate floor to tell a bare faced lie about Mitt Romney:" we won, so who cares"

Oh....one final thing I heard was that the data was only used during the primary, not the general election (unconfirmed)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28424/ex-obama-campaign-official-heres-how-we-were-able-james-barrett

"They "were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn't have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side."

easytiger95

You're such a spoofer Whitey, and perhaps your worst failing is thinking that because people are based in Ireland, they don't know who your sources are from. Daily Wire is run by Ben Shapiro, former editor of Brietbart during the Bannon ascendancy, who, despite playing as a never Trumper, is an unrepentant right wing nut job. Also, if you move beyond the headline and actually read the tweet, the exec never specifically says they broke rules, or that they were told that they broke rules. Remember, Facebook only changed their terms for data mining of friends lists in 2015. The last tweet, was that she felt creepy about it, despite not breaking any rules, and not using the info in a devious way.

So there is you, driving around all day, listening to talk radio....and I guarantee you won't tell us which station you were listening to. Somewhere slightly right of Genghis Khan I would say, I'm surprised you didn't go off the road when you turned the dial.

Listen, be as right wing as you like, be as much a Trump supporter as you like, be as bitter clinging, gun grabbing, whatever it is the fever swamp is directing you to be this week...but for God's sake do as all a favour and own it. Do it because you like it, it makes you feel good, not because of some lily livered snowflake excuse that you only support the 800 lb authoritarian because the Clintons were soooo evil. Jesus, you sound like something out of "Mean Girls".

God be with the days when you knew a right winger by the beers he drank, the John Wayne movies he watched and the amount of smelly hippies he assaulted. Now its all Ben Shapiro, tweets used out of context, and driving around trying to tune in Limbaugh.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 21, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
You're such a spoofer Whitey, and perhaps your worst failing is thinking that because people are based in Ireland, they don't know who your sources are from. Daily Wire is run by Ben Shapiro, former editor of Brietbart during the Bannon ascendancy, who, despite playing as a never Trumper, is an unrepentant right wing nut job. Also, if you move beyond the headline and actually read the tweet, the exec never specifically says they broke rules, or that they were told that they broke rules. Remember, Facebook only changed their terms for data mining of friends lists in 2015. The last tweet, was that she felt creepy about it, despite not breaking any rules, and not using the info in a devious way.

So there is you, driving around all day, listening to talk radio....and I guarantee you won't tell us which station you were listening to. Somewhere slightly right of Genghis Khan I would say, I'm surprised you didn't go off the road when you turned the dial.

Listen, be as right wing as you like, be as much a Trump supporter as you like, be as bitter clinging, gun grabbing, whatever it is the fever swamp is directing you to be this week...but for God's sake do as all a favour and own it. Do it because you like it, it makes you feel good, not because of some lily livered snowflake excuse that you only support the 800 lb authoritarian because the Clintons were soooo evil. Jesus, you sound like something out of "Mean Girls".

God be with the days when you knew a right winger by the beers he drank, the John Wayne movies he watched and the amount of smelly hippies he assaulted. Now its all Ben Shapiro, tweets used out of context, and driving around trying to tune in Limbaugh.

Tell us how you really feel Easytiger... ;D

whitey

Actually I spent even amounts of time listening to MSNBC, Poutus and Patriot Radio

Attack my source all you want....I used it because that is a direct quote from Ms Davidson. Are you saying she didn't say what she said in her own tweet???

So did Facebook bend their own rules and regulations to aid the Obama campaign?

So the CLinton campaign can pay a foreign spy to fabricate a dossier about a Republican opponent, then leak it to the FBI so they can wiretap their opponents campaign and you are worried about whether Cambridge Analytics abided by the term and conditions of their Facebook agreement-lol

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2018, 12:39:52 PM

Hang on!!!! That's completely out of order. I like John Wayne movies.

easytiger95

I'm worried that CA used misinformation and fraud to win the election for DJT. You can downplay it all you like, because that is the only thing you can do - CA's deeds go far beyond violating internet terms and conditions. And no sensible person would compare what was done by the Trump campaign and the Obama campaign. You're not a sensible person. You're a spoofer.

There is the last tweet from the facebook exec - from your link, Einstein.

I worked on all of the data integration projects at OFA. This was the only one that felt creepy, even though we played by the rules, and didn't do anything I felt was ugly, with the data.

Compare and contrast that with Nix explaining that CA send Ukrainian prostitutes to candidates rooms to deliberately compromise them. You're a joker, and it's a bad joke you're telling.

easytiger95

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2018, 12:58:56 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2018, 12:39:52 PM

Hang on!!!! That's completely out of order. I like John Wayne movies.

He went downhill after Rio Bravo AZ.

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 21, 2018, 01:03:06 PM
I'm worried that CA used misinformation and fraud to win the election for DJT. You can downplay it all you like, because that is the only thing you can do - CA's deeds go far beyond violating internet terms and conditions. And no sensible person would compare what was done by the Trump campaign and the Obama campaign. You're not a sensible person. You're a spoofer.

There is the last tweet from the facebook exec - from your link, Einstein.

I worked on all of the data integration projects at OFA. This was the only one that felt creepy, even though we played by the rules, and didn't do anything I felt was ugly, with the data.

Compare and contrast that with Nix explaining that CA send Ukrainian prostitutes to candidates rooms to deliberately compromise them. You're a joker, and it's a bad joke you're telling.

So do you have any proof that a single solitary voter switched their vote from one candidate to another based on something  they saw on Facebook?   

The collusion narrative seems to be collapsing so now the Democrats need something else to explain their loss.

And speaking of using fraud to win an election, Obama intentionally lied directly to the American people about whether they could keep their doctor and insurance under Obamacare.  As I said elections are nasty business are both sides use every dirty trick in the book to gain an advantage.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 01:21:10 PM

So do you have any proof that a single solitary voter switched their vote from one candidate to another based on something  they saw on Facebook?   

I think you're right Whitey. Advertising doesn't work; that's why there aren't any adverts (other than political ones) on Facebook.