Investments

Started by illdecide, December 11, 2017, 03:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: trileacman on December 11, 2017, 08:22:45 PM
Dashcoin is a pure scam. Stay clear.

Im curious why you say that. A friend has been at me to invest but through one thing or another I haven't but I was going to take a serious look at it as he is normally a shrewd enough man

whitey

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 11, 2017, 10:06:34 PM
Quote from: trileacman on December 11, 2017, 08:22:45 PM
Dashcoin is a pure scam. Stay clear.

Im curious why you say that. A friend has been at me to invest but through one thing or another I haven't but I was going to take a serious look at it as he is normally a shrewd enough man

Look at it all you want, but it's a purely speculative investment......i.e. You have as much chance of it going to zero as you have of it doubling.

I heard a new acronym last week about Bitcoin-FOMO (fear of missing out)

FL/MAYO

This hype reminds me of the real estate boom here in the U.S around 2005 and dotcom bubble in the late 90's, everyone's talking about it and everyone is an expert.

trileacman

Let me clarify. Bitcoin is not a scam or a ponzi, it has a certain intrinsic value and whilst it may or may not be over-valued certainly some variation of bitcoin (i.e crypto) has huge future potential in the global economy.

On the other hand dash-coin like some cryptocurrencies is a ponzi scam pure and simple. Don't believe me then read this and make up your own mind: http://ethanvanderbuilt.com/2017/08/07/is-dascoin-a-scam-or-truly-the-currency-of-trust/
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

With Dascoin you get paid to encourage people to join. That's a ponzi.

Bitcoin doesn't pay you to encourage others to join.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

I would love to invest in something but mid risk stock rather than a possible pyramid type scheme...

Be interested in taking a chance with a start up business, investing with them and taking a small percentage, bit of a gamble but would need to have some investment before retiring

my pensions (I've a couple of frozen pensions, small current one) won't keep me in great lifestyle.. although wife's pension will do  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Aaron Boone

Whilst you men sort it out online, I'll stick with my US Dollar stockpile for now.

OgraAnDun

The thing that attracts my attention about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general, is where can you actually spend them? I understand firms like PayPal and Microsoft take them, but the majority don't and I don't see a situation where you're going to be walking into Centra and paying for your loaf of bread and bottle of milk with a crypto currency, or paying the barman down the local with Bitcoin for your pint of Guinness. Most people seem to be investing in it simply because the value keeps increasing. I think there are similarities to the dotcom boom in that everybody kept buying and buying, inflating the price further and further before the market eventually recognised that these companies' revenues were nowhere near their valuation, never mind profits. Incidentally, Bitcoin futures started training today for the first time and didn't have the greatest of receptions by the market.

Hereiam

The markets/governments are afraid of bitcoin and what it could do to the whole way of dealing with money. Off course they want it to fail and will do everything in their power to make it fail.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Hereiam on December 11, 2017, 11:17:06 PM
The markets/governments are afraid of bitcoin and what it could do to the whole way of dealing with money. Off course they want it to fail and will do everything in their power to make it fail.

yes, its the massive potential that makes it exciting, its not a normal stock.

i bought at $5k for small money, its now $16k, but i wont be looking to cash out anytime soon.

its a 20 or 30 year investment imo, by which stage it will be the facebook of currency, devouring any competitor that tries to go head to head (hopefully lol)

if it goes to zero in a couple of years so be it but i think in this case the upside could be gigantic

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TabClear

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 11, 2017, 11:08:55 PM
The thing that attracts my attention about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general, is where can you actually spend them? I understand firms like PayPal and Microsoft take them, but the majority don't and I don't see a situation where you're going to be walking into Centra and paying for your loaf of bread and bottle of milk with a crypto currency, or paying the barman down the local with Bitcoin for your pint of Guinness. Most people seem to be investing in it simply because the value keeps increasing. I think there are similarities to the dotcom boom in that everybody kept buying and buying, inflating the price further and further before the market eventually recognised that these companies' revenues were nowhere near their valuation, never mind profits. Incidentally, Bitcoin futures started training today for the first time and didn't have the greatest of receptions by the market.

I agree with most of your post except this. Look how much less cash is used now since ten years ago. The missus never carries notes or coins anymore. Most people pay by card and paying by phone is getting much more widely accepted. In another ten years i fully expect cash to have reduced even more as phone and biometric methods of payment take over. In this scenario, your phone "wallet"/fingerprint/chip in your wrist can be linked back to a bitcoin account as easily as any other currency.

gallsman

The problem with bitcoin or any other crypto being used as currency is that it's far, far too volatile. The price is pumping constantly, on and off, so people good it rather than spend it. It's more a value store like gold than it is a currency. A lot of the biggest exchanges, coinbase included, haven't been able to keep up with the demand from new users.

Frank_The_Tank

I have used eToro to do some investments in Ripple.  Its just ok though.  You can set ceiling levels of it my investment goes below this amount sell and if it goes above this amount sell.  You can also copy people who are successful trades they have done.  I joined it more to read the comments of different markets - only invested £200 in ripple a few weeks ago - its worth £230 atm.  Ripple is about $0.24 cents each at the minute so the max sell point you can put is 1000% so if it goes to just over $2 each then mine would be sold automatically even if the price goes out to reach $100 each.  However, if you were making 1000% increases on investments you be happy enough.

You can also invest in Oil/Gold most shares on eToro as well but as I say personally I just joined it to read the threads on the cryptos and put in a small enough £200 investment just out of interest.  Also have some BTC and ETH I bought on Coinbase during the summer.  Just ordered myself a USB Hardware Wallet - planning to move my cryto out of coinbase and hold the private keys for it myself - will also buy some more ripple and hold it in my own wallet
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

OgraAnDun

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2017, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 11, 2017, 11:08:55 PM

I agree with most of your post except this. Look how much less cash is used now since ten years ago. The missus never carries notes or coins anymore. Most people pay by card and paying by phone is getting much more widely accepted. In another ten years i fully expect cash to have reduced even more as phone and biometric methods of payment take over. In this scenario, your phone "wallet"/fingerprint/chip in your wrist can be linked back to a bitcoin account as easily as any other currency.

I'm the same, I rarely carry cash and just use the tap technology for even the smallest of purchases - however, I prefer that card to be the virtual representation of something physical that is backed up by the state, rather than a relatively unregulated piece of data on my computer that might be worth 200% of yesterday's value but also 400% of tomorrow's value. And I think the vast majority of people think like that, making me doubt the actual utility of cryptocurrencies as anything more than an investment.