Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Shouldn't matter what club or division they play in
But the worrying thing is some players that are in the panel don't stand out at club level
Blaney McCartan etc were head and shoulders above all others
Not now I'm afraid
Lots of athletes playing nowadays

ardtole

Quote from: snoopdog on January 04, 2018, 10:48:02 PM
Quote from: downjim on January 04, 2018, 07:16:52 PM
Too many players from div 2 and below on that panel. Seriously would they all start in the Down top 6 in div 1?
I fail to see this as a viable argument. What Division did paddy Doherty Joe Lennon  James McCarran junior Greg Blaney  Peter Whitnall etc play in. Plenty of good footballers remain with the club in the parish they were born into. Doesn't make them bad players.
Though I agree with your sentiment snoopdog, Paddy Doherty is a bad example, back then Ballykinlar were a top team and I'm nearly sure were beat in a few sfc finals.
Our best player in the championship last year was probably Connaire Harrison and he would have played the majority of his club football in div 3.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: snoopdog on January 04, 2018, 10:41:27 PM
Quote from: crice123 on January 04, 2018, 02:50:41 PM
Snoopdog, some man you are to be commenting on this if u don't bother your arse to turn up to games, the reason we really lost was because Sean og forgot the lucky hat!
I'm not gonna go to  a glorified friendly when I live in Dublin. I've followed Down long enough in league and championship  I think I can comment on a warm up game.

it is evident from your comment that this is a "warm up game" and a "glorified friendly" and if indeed a follower of Down football would be aware that the McKenna cup is merely a preseason competition to blood new players for the year ahead.

A few Down players lined out for St Marys and Queens also. Some counties like Donegal last year used all their u21 players which stood to them, now with the u20 inter county grade and the eligibility rules means this may not be an option now.

Managers want to see players in a county set up as sometimes a player does not play their natural position at club level but at county level it is possible, shane Harrison (a midfielder for his club) in nets for eg who started because Marc Reid lined out for St Marys. some players maybe deemed capable that did not come through the development squads route and a chance to test their credentials.

Some players may not have been able to play against Armagh. Down will never win the McKenna cup while rebuilding. When they last won it they had established players to call on, allstars as well.

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

OgraAnDun

UUJ match moved to Burren at 2 on Sunday.

crice123

Why Burren, if dpk wasn't available surely drumgath is the next best option

snoopdog

Quote from: Lecale Gael on January 05, 2018, 12:49:37 AM

Snoopdog, some man you are to be commenting on this if u don't bother your arse to turn up to games, the reason we really lost was because Sean og forgot the lucky hat!
I'm not gonna go to  a glorified friendly when I live in Dublin. I've followed Down long enough in league and championship  I think I can comment on a warm up game.

it is evident from your comment that this is a "warm up game" and a "glorified friendly" and if indeed a follower of Down football would be aware that the McKenna cup is merely a preseason competition to blood new players for the year ahead.

A few Down players lined out for St Marys and Queens also. Some counties like Donegal last year used all their u21 players which stood to them, now with the u20 inter county grade and the eligibility rules means this may not be an option now.

Managers want to see players in a county set up as sometimes a player does not play their natural position at club level but at county level it is possible, shane Harrison (a midfielder for his club) in nets for eg who started because Marc Reid lined out for St Marys. some players maybe deemed capable that did not come through the development squads route and a chance to test their credentials.

Some players may not have been able to play against Armagh. Down will never win the McKenna cup while rebuilding. When they last won it they had established players to call on, allstars as well.
Was it 2008 we last won It? What All Stars did we have then?  ?

Mourne Red

Quote from: crice123 on January 05, 2018, 01:57:37 PM

Drumgath? What are you smoking

Lecale Gael

Quote from: snoopdog on January 05, 2018, 02:02:10 PM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on January 05, 2018, 12:49:37 AM

Was it 2008 we last won It? What All Stars did we have then?  ?

benny and danny got allstars (albeit 2 years later) and were established players, Dan Gordan captain,

Down won two consecutive Ulster under-21 titles in 2008 and  2009 under Pete McGrath and lost narrowly and dramatically to Cork in the All-Ireland decider. Same 2 teams met in the 2010 AI final.

McKernan, Colgan, Maginn, Fitzpatrick, McComiskey, Duffin, Garvey, Laverty, Howard, JBrown, Cathal Murdock, Kevin Anderson and Paul Devlin all featured on one or other u21 panel

Down contribution to Sigerson Cup titles for Queen's and UUJ, and the colleges and schools successes of St Colman's Newry and St Malachy's Castlewellan at the time.

sadly we have only a sprinkling of established players in the McKenna cup panel

Tyrone and Donegal built on u21 sucessess. Downs defeat to Cork in 2010 knocked us for six

but I do see signs of a resurgence as some very talented u17s, u20s are coming through

downjim

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 05, 2018, 02:43:23 PM

[/quote

There are only a few pitches in Down that would be fit for football at the minute. Drumgath would not be in that category

Targetman

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 05, 2018, 02:43:23 PM

Must be strong gear!

crice123

Smurfy123

Lecale who are these under 17-20 players that you speak off??

Genuine question

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 05, 2018, 05:11:28 PM

Genuine question

Liam Kerr?? Would he be our most talented player since Marty Clarke?

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 05, 2018, 05:11:28 PM

Genuine question

I would prefer not to mention names on an internet forum. would not be fair. will just sit this out and see

Smurfy123

Caolan Mooney our next best from Clarke
Ryan Johnstone or Jerome Johnstone??
Kerr a great player though he has it all