Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The gooch

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 25, 2018, 08:54:20 AM
The 'sanction' is a relatively new development and one which has never been utilised at Cargin or at any, or very few from South West
Surely an amalgamation of several clubs at under-21 level to include a couple from the first division ensures a big advantage.
Are we to anticipate a time in the future when Cargin, Creggan, and Moneyglass for example will ditch individual identities and pride within and get together for an attempt at short term gain..?

Think its more of a city thing. Cant see many players from SW willing to represent another club

Hectic

In football. There have been combination teams from N Antrim playing A Championship in the minor and maybe even u21 hurling in the past.

breakingball

Do portglenone not have rasharkin players at the minute or maneyglass have ahoghill players?

Hectic

U21 Football needs a serious overhaul.

The gooch

Quote from: breakingball on November 25, 2018, 09:44:43 AM
Do portglenone not have rasharkin players at the minute or maneyglass have ahoghill players?

Havent a clue. Suppose im justt speaking from the point of view from my own club. Were fortunate enough to have never been in a situation were our players have had to play for another club

Milltown Row2

I remember a team made up of 2 SW clubs which won a few minors.. god strange how the memory fades
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The gooch

Quote from: Hectic on November 25, 2018, 09:49:54 AM

Group stage is a farce. Always admired the county board for not having round robin football cship like armagh donegal etc have. Championship not matter what code should be straight knockout

delgany

It was overhauled  into 5 groups of 4vteams this year.
Clubs accepted this change.  The main problem with the competition is the timing of it . Too late in year ...Too many u21s away at uni.... No one would be anticapated st endas getting to Ulster final

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2018, 10:11:00 AM
I remember a team made up of 2 SW clubs which won a few minors.. god strange how the memory fades

Haha i assume you mean sean stinsons. They were a team around for years, not just the best player plucked fron davitts to play for rossa for 4 games a year.

Hectic

Quote from: delgany on November 25, 2018, 10:13:59 AM

It was overhauled  into 5 groups of 4vteams this year.
Clubs accepted this change.  The main problem with the competition is the timing of it . Too late in year ...Too many u21s away at uni.... No one would be anticapated st endas getting to Ulster final

Yep. As I say needs a serious overhaul.

Throw in clashing with league business initially then senior championship business on reschedule Throw in combo teams and apparent making up of the rules as they go.

Yes groups good in theory....

In this case like sticking a tiara on a pig.

imtommygunn

The 11th commandment is thou shalt not slag off Belfast clubs or MR will get p***ed off ;D

Sean Stinsons was slightly different - there was never a portglenone or ahoghill team to leave in those days to go to sean stinsons so you lpayed for stinsons from a young age. Also it was an independent entity as opposed to playing for another club.

It happens in the country too - you could rhyme off maybe 5 - 10 boys of some kind of profile. I think quite a few were fallings out mind but even still it happens. It just seems a bit more prevalent in the city.

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 25, 2018, 11:36:09 AM

The 11th commandment is thou shalt not slag off Belfast clubs or MR will get p***ed off ;D

Sean Stinsons was slightly different - there was never a portglenone or ahoghill team to leave in those days to go to sean stinsons so you lpayed for stinsons from a young age. Also it was an independent entity as opposed to playing for another club.

It happens in the country too - you could rhyme off maybe 5 - 10 boys of some kind of profile. I think quite a few were fallings out mind but even still it happens. It just seems a bit more prevalent in the city.

Goes a bit far when a serious div one team supplements with players from a club from the top division as well as a couple from lower divisions.....?

Milltown Row2

Just a bit of balance Tommy  ;D

Dress it up all you want, it was a team made up of two clubs, who when they got to senior played for the 'own' clubs...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

As I remember Stimson's was an amalgamation of two junior clubs to make up a juvenile entity.....participating in S West juvenile competition to minor level only....
Such was certainly successful as the lads who participated within the ranks ensured the health of their parent clubs underlined by their respective current well being.
Both Casement's and St Mary's are strong senior clubs based in the top division.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2018, 12:35:52 PM

Just a bit of balance Tommy  ;D

Dress it up all you want, it was a team made up of two clubs, who when they got to senior played for the 'own' clubs...

I don't see an issue with it. Or playing underage with another club as your own team can't field.

If you leave your own club for glory hunting reasons that is different but not the case here.