Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Chimley

Crowe and Dolan looked like good prospects from the last few minor teams so it's good to see them get a mention as developing along the right lines. Both should figure on the U21 panel next year and who knows after that. I'd like to hear how we plan to develop and channel our talented players from underage onto the senior scene under the new management.

spuds

Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2010, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: intoDwest on September 30, 2010, 03:46:31 PM
Kiltane, not one good enough, big enough or even physical enough.

Edit to say, Delighted that Horan got the Job, now we just have to let him get on with it. All I want to see is a Mayo team compete to its potential and where ever that lands us so be it!!

I thought they bred them big and tough out that way?
Story of Mayo as well
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

boosabum

Here s a way to keep driving this thread over the 100 page mark lads! From clubs in your area that you know well, what players 19yrs+ are there who have not played senior county but are worth a look. I ll think about it and come back with a couple later. Just to get James started like.
[/quote]
seriously though i'd only have a fair idea of south mayo so here goes.

Neale - E Hughes
Kilmaine - P Doherty (not sure if he's played before), J Maloney
Shrule - most have already had a shot
Garrymore - C Crowe, D Dolan
Hollymount - C Connolly
Ballinrobe - D Killeen, J O Malley
Davitts - not sure of them (boyle, mcnamara and carey all have played for mayo)
Carramore - not sure about their players also.

Thats an attemp. open to opinions and bein lynched
[/quote]

There's a gallagher from claremorris, tall midfielder, young lad i'd say, hopefully he'll fill out.
i thought mcnamara would push on from being a good minor

Peter Solan the Great

Mayo star hits out at County Board on Twitter

Mayo's Alan Dillon
30 September 2010

Mayo football star Alan Dillon criticised the process to appoint a new manager on Twitter last week, before James Horan pipped Tommy Lyons to the job.

Former All-Star Horan, who has made waves by guiding rank outsiders Ballintubber to the Mayo SFC final this year, was appointed as John O'Mahony's successor on Wednesday night.

Lyons, who has managed Dublin and Offaly in the past, had been regarded as the hot favourite for the job having been the subject of a flood of bets with bookmakers last week.

The process to find a new manager has attracted plenty of criticism in the county, with candidates such as John Maughan, Mick O'Dwyer and Tommy Carr ruling themselves out before interviews took place.

And Dillon, an All-Star in 2006, made his feelings known via popular social media site Twitter by writing, "Hope everyone appreciates how our County Board operates...just listen to Mike Finnerty on Mid West.. Cheap buck to be made and Tommy Lyons is 1/10 on before the interviews are complete.. Nothing amazes me about the whole process.."

Cosmo Kramer

Good to know that the captain and the board are going to be on the same wavelength anyway!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on September 30, 2010, 05:33:14 PM
Good to know that the captain and the board are going to be on the same wavelength anyway!

Arent hoganstand gone very tabloid these days. Thats the kind of article you'd expect in the sun or the daily sport

Farrandeelin

Knockmore - Shane McHale has the possibility to answer some of our full-back problems.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ludermor

Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2010, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: intoDwest on September 30, 2010, 03:46:31 PM
Kiltane, not one good enough, big enough or even physical enough.

Edit to say, Delighted that Horan got the Job, now we just have to let him get on with it. All I want to see is a Mayo team compete to its potential and where ever that lands us so be it!!

I thought they bred them big and tough out that way?
Them days are gone unfortunately, it can be traced to the time when Bangor started to supply most of the players to the team.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 30, 2010, 06:49:48 PM
Knockmore - Shane McHale has the possibility to answer some of our full-back problems.
we already have a full back,
ansd he lives in westport for me itll be Horan's 1st test
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

RedandGreenSniper

As Southsider says, Ballinrobe's David Killeen is well worth a go.
He's strong, fast and is rarely bettered by any man. Bring him in!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

southsider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 30, 2010, 07:43:15 PM
As Southsider says, Ballinrobe's David Killeen is well worth a go.
He's strong, fast and is rarely bettered by any man. Bring him in!

ya saw kileen in two championship matches against ballagh and knockmore, handled kilcoyne very well - although i think kilcoyne short of match fitness. when i get down there here nothing but good reports. Also hear that o malley would be a good option at corner back. fast and did a great job on andy moran in championship. don't know as much about him though and inter county another level altogether

moysider

Club players 19+ worth a look.

Ardnaree - Mick Walsh.

Ballymun Kichams - James Burke.

Bonniconlon - Alan Egan.

Ballina - Nobody not already there.

Knockmore - Shane McHale

Crossmolina - Joe Keane, James Cafferkey.

Killala - Andrew Farrel, Marcus Hannick.

Ardagh - Last time I saw them no.

Lacken - As above.

Ballycastle - As above.

Kilfian - maybe a fit Michael Lynott.

m@yoman

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 30, 2010, 05:22:37 PM

Mayo's Alan Dillon
30 September 2010

Mayo football star Alan Dillon criticised the process to appoint a new manager on Twitter last week, before James Horan pipped Tommy Lyons to the job.

Former All-Star Horan, who has made waves by guiding rank outsiders Ballintubber to the Mayo SFC final this year, was appointed as John O'Mahony's successor on Wednesday night.

Lyons, who has managed Dublin and Offaly in the past, had been regarded as the hot favourite for the job having been the subject of a flood of bets with bookmakers last week.

The process to find a new manager has attracted plenty of criticism in the county, with candidates such as John Maughan, Mick O'Dwyer and Tommy Carr ruling themselves out before interviews took place.

And Dillon, an All-Star in 2006, made his feelings known via popular social media site Twitter by writing, "Hope everyone appreciates how our County Board operates...just listen to Mike Finnerty on Mid West.. Cheap buck to be made and Tommy Lyons is 1/10 on before the interviews are complete.. Nothing amazes me about the whole process.."

Unreal!!

Was that you Peter texting in to OfftheBall this evening??!!

Good interview I thought by James Horan....He's really putting the emphasis on getting players in a decent state of mind for matches with good preparation....Ciaran Murphy should be made sing the Green and Red of Mayo some night!  :D

stephenite

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 30, 2010, 09:50:58 AM
Quote from: boosabum on September 30, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
Quote from: Barney on September 30, 2010, 08:21:53 AM
Fantastic news and best of luck to James.

I do not doubt but that the comments by supporters by ourselves on blogs and boards like this did have an influence in persuading the Board that they would not be able to push through Tommy Lyons.

It is still a risk but there is a huge amount of goodwill for James and that is a great starting point. He will be low-key and needs time and space and judgement should only begin after next Summer.

I think people might be claiming too much credit with a statement like that. The CB hardly traweled throught the internet to gauge opinion, there are tons of posts lambasting them for being out of touch with the clubs and supporters, so why start now.
Maybe, just maybe JH was head and shoulders above the others and the choice was straightforward.

Are you joking? Its well known that the GaaBoard and other web pages have been mentioned in county board statements as well in the local newspapers.

What is discussed here is well read and talked about by everyone from former greats in the Red and Green to the county board. Dont cod yourself!  ;)

I'll have to hold my hands up here, the indignation expressed by people on here and in particular Iorlar may well have caused some discomfort for the exec members - and put put cynicism to shame,

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: m@yoman on September 30, 2010, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 30, 2010, 05:22:37 PM

Mayo's Alan Dillon
30 September 2010

Unreal!!

Was that you Peter texting in to OfftheBall this evening??!!

Good interview I thought by James Horan....He's really putting the emphasis on getting players in a decent state of mind for matches with good preparation....Ciaran Murphy should be made sing the Green and Red of Mayo some night!  :D

It was indeed me. They didnt read it all out though. Plus i was hoping they would actually ask James Horan the question.