The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 11:24:13 AM
What is Trump going to say about Virginia? He mentions blackface, and all his opponent has to do is mention Charlottesville, the alt-right, David Duke, federal law suits for discimination in housing, right wing political strongmen and so on and on.

Amazon - yes... if his opponent is AOC or Jimmy van Braemer. On the other hand, DiBlasio and, especially, Cuomo, were ardent supporters of the Amazon deal, while the majority of New Yorkers, an overwhelmingly Democratic town, also supported it.

The third trimester abortion issue... I guess, if Trump wants to run on straw man arguments and misrepresented quotes, as opposed to the real problem of how to address late term pregnancy emergencies.

Green new deal... remains to be seen, but at least AOC and her ilk are trying to do something, present a roadmap or whatever, extreme/overambitious as it might be in certain respects, rather than present the outright lies and "nothing to see here" cynicism you get from Trump and the broader conservative movement.

And the "Democratic hypocrisy"... when are you ever going to admit that politicians and politics as an enterprise is inherently replete with hypocrisy. Its the nature of the beast. They all do it. Republicans and conservatives are NOT less hypocriticial than Democrats and liberals. Its just that you don't care or notice when your side does it; for whatever reason you appear to care less about your side and its policies than about your grievances with the (in your perception) hypocrisy of the Democrats and the "lamestream" media.

Cuomo lit the freedom tower pink to celebrate the late term abortion bill. There is no way to pretend this was misrepresented.

Democrats have been badly found out in the last month.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 11:56:41 AM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 01:54:10 AM
J70-what do the locals in Queens think of Amazons decision

(I can't imagine the Union members are too happy with AOC and her cabal)

Apparently some of the unions supported it, some didn't. Construction guys obviously, while the likes of 32BJ (SEIU) wanted the jobs for the cleaners and security staff and so on.

Most people I know were happy Amazon were coming and are pissed off now they're not. Yeah, they were getting tax breaks, but they and their staff would have paid plenty too, while it would have meant plenty of business for the LIC area. On the other hand, it's already gentrifying like crazy, with expensive rentals and coops being built all along the waterfront and further in for the past five years or more, putting pressure on public infrastructure like schools and the subways, but the Amazon presence would surely have provided more funding to upgrade, despite the hysteria over the tax breaks. However, it's NYC - it's not some one-company town where the factory closed and shipped the jobs to Mexico.

Have to say I'm a little surprised at Amazon though. The polls were in their favour; DiBlasio and Cuomo all for the deal. Their hearts can't have been in it.
Trump is finished and the Dems will win in 2020 and huge change will come with them.
Just look at the shite whitey and co post. There is no heart in it
Amazon has to think ahead . It is a parasite and the environment will not be good for parasites
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dolph1

Any of you democrats think that Ilhan Omar should resign from the foreign affairs panel?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 11:48:35 AM
Wow...you really are that naive

Virginia could swing to Trump very easily without him saying a word. That opens up a wide lane for him

Amazon=job killing Democrats (he doesn't need to be running against AOC)

CHEERING third trimester abortion-

Green New Deal-JOKE (and then the lying trying to cover it up, getting some cover from the media but even they eventually called it out)

Each one of these things could conservatively swing a percentage point of voters in favor or Trump

Perhaps I am naive in that a lying, misrepresenting, cynical Trump could twist those issues in his favour. I don't deny that.

What I'm saying is that, on the substance, they're fairly easily countered.

When did substance ever matter?

I'd love to see Biden run and as I think he can beat Trump. As much as I disagree with her I think Warren would be a good VP candidate. The Native American problem wouldn't be as big an issue if she went as VP

All these other fvckin idiots such as Harris and Booker could very easily lose to Trump because they are out of step with mainstream America

seafoid

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 12:30:40 PM
Any of you democrats think that Ilhan Omar should resign from the foreign affairs panel?
Over a manufactured crisis ?
Pull the other one

AIPAC is really scared of her

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 12:16:01 PM
What is Trump going to say about Virginia? He mentions blackface, and all his opponent has to do is mention Charlottesville, the alt-right, David Duke, federal law suits for discimination in housing, right wing political strongmen and so on and on.

Amazon - yes... if his opponent is AOC or Jimmy van Braemer. On the other hand, DiBlasio and, especially, Cuomo, were ardent supporters of the Amazon deal, while the majority of New Yorkers, an overwhelmingly Democratic town, also supported it.

The third trimester abortion issue... I guess, if Trump wants to run on straw man arguments and misrepresented quotes, as opposed to the real problem of how to address late term pregnancy emergencies.

Green new deal... remains to be seen, but at least AOC and her ilk are trying to do something, present a roadmap or whatever, extreme/overambitious as it might be in certain respects, rather than present the outright lies and "nothing to see here" cynicism you get from Trump and the broader conservative movement.

And the "Democratic hypocrisy"... when are you ever going to admit that politicians and politics as an enterprise is inherently replete with hypocrisy. Its the nature of the beast. They all do it. Republicans and conservatives are NOT less hypocriticial than Democrats and liberals. Its just that you don't care or notice when your side does it; for whatever reason you appear to care less about your side and its policies than about your grievances with the (in your perception) hypocrisy of the Democrats and the "lamestream" media.

Cuomo lit the freedom tower pink to celebrate the late term abortion bill. There is no way to pretend this was misrepresented.

Northam's comments were misrepresented. As for the NY law, what exactly is your objection? That the health of the mother is now a consideration, when before she would have to travel out of state? Or that she cannot be charged with a crime anymore for having a third trimester abortion when her own life is not at risk?

I wish there could be a proper mature discussion of this topic.

All we get is a lot of noise and hysteria the extremes on both sides. Whereas in real life, most people object to abortion as emergency birth control but realize that sometimes pregnancies go horribly wrong, whether for the mother or the baby and that there should be health care available to humanely end the pregnancy under certain circumstances.

J70

Do you?

whitey

J70-should minors be allowed to have abortions without parental consent?

I think that's part of the new law

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 12:38:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 11:48:35 AM
Wow...you really are that naive

Virginia could swing to Trump very easily without him saying a word. That opens up a wide lane for him

Amazon=job killing Democrats (he doesn't need to be running against AOC)

CHEERING third trimester abortion-

Green New Deal-JOKE (and then the lying trying to cover it up, getting some cover from the media but even they eventually called it out)

Each one of these things could conservatively swing a percentage point of voters in favor or Trump

Perhaps I am naive in that a lying, misrepresenting, cynical Trump could twist those issues in his favour. I don't deny that.

What I'm saying is that, on the substance, they're fairly easily countered.

When did substance ever matter?

I'd love to see Biden run and as I think he can beat Trump. As much as I disagree with her I think Warren would be a good VP candidate. The Native American problem wouldn't be as big an issue if she went as VP

All these other fvckin idiots such as Harris and Booker could very easily lose to Trump because they are out of step with mainstream America

I'm starting to think Bernie might be the man, but he's probably too far left.

Biden... I don't know if he has the fire and balls necessary to go up against Trump.

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 01:10:24 PM

Hadn't heard that that was part of the law, but leaving that aside for the sake of argument...

I'm not sure. Probably no. But, then you get into the hard cases. Such as a close relative rape and so on. The law has to account for all those eventualities. And then you get into the whole "well the rape is not the baby's fault" issue. Not a black/white, right/wrong situation, IMO.

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:09:44 PM

Do you?

I don't think I'd class myself as a democrat ;)

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:09:44 PM

Do you?

I don't think I'd class myself as a democrat ;)

Well, you're asking the question, so one would assume you have an opinion.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:14:01 PM

Hadn't heard that that was part of the law, but leaving that aside for the sake of argument...

I'm not sure. Probably no. But, then you get into the hard cases. Such as a close relative rape and so on. The law has to account for all those eventualities. And then you get into the whole "well the rape is not the baby's fault" issue. Not a black/white, right/wrong situation, IMO.

Sure-but the far left and the far right both pull out these situations (hard cases)  that account for fractions of 1% of what is being discussed and use them to derail any serious debate

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 01:17:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:14:01 PM

Sure-but the far left and the far right both pull out these situations (hard cases)  that account for fractions of 1% of what is being discussed and use them to derail any serious debate
So who is far left, Whitey>? someone who thinks payrises are a good idea ?
the GOP is nowhere near the centre

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 12:16:01 PM

Northam's comments were misrepresented. As for the NY law, what exactly is your objection? That the health of the mother is now a consideration, when before she would have to travel out of state? Or that she cannot be charged with a crime anymore for having a third trimester abortion when her own life is not at risk?

I wish there could be a proper mature discussion of this topic.

All we get is a lot of noise and hysteria the extremes on both sides. Whereas in real life, most people object to abortion as emergency birth control but realize that sometimes pregnancies go horribly wrong, whether for the mother or the baby and that there should be health care available to humanely end the pregnancy under certain circumstances.

Sorry J70 - he spoke as a arrogant man who was totally behind the idea. He was pretty unaware of the massive smackdown coming his way.
I agree it's complicated. Genuine medical grounds for sure but you know that law will be abused.