Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 08:34:55 AM
I've never even seen a bog.

(But hurling puts it in the shade.)

Does that mean you won't get sunburned in the bog so?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

deiseach

Quote from: ONeill on August 12, 2013, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2013, 09:34:42 AM

95% don't start out as serious. But then someone presses a sore spot...

Only a dimwit would declare one game is better than another or the greatest.

You might have a personal preference as you would in beer or women or men.

Are you accusing the denizens of this board of being dimwits?

Oh.

ONeill

Seriously though. It's like when adults argue whether the iphone or Android is the best phone. Depresses me. Not really like.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pullhard

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2013, 04:29:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2013, 04:09:07 PM
Apart from skill, today's game is close, whereas the likes of Mayo-Donegal wasn't competitive.

Yeah, reminded me of the 2008 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final!

That game was a classic. It's so rare to see a team so totally and completely on fire, a bit like watching ayrton senna or muhammad ali. If i remember correctly they hit two wides all game.

Mario

Hurling definitely has an inferiority complex, all you hear from analysts and commentators is how great it is compared to any other sport, during the Sunday Game last night they even compared it with soccer and how much better this was, there is no praise like self praise.

If it was so great it would be more popular than gaelic football and its not, the hurlers would say 'thats because its so skillful only a few can play' but why would that affect the support?

pullhard

Quote from: Mario on August 12, 2013, 11:53:45 AM
If it was so great it would be more popular than gaelic football and its not, the hurlers would say 'thats because its so skillful only a few can play' but why would that affect the support?

simple people like simple games, look at gaelic and football fans ;)

easytiger95

Forget snooker or golf - the cricket has been brilliant this summer......

I'm actually serious.

pullhard

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 12, 2013, 12:22:08 PM

I'm actually serious.

It actually has been enjoyable. Sky coverage of it is great.

Bingo

I love these topics  ::)

We also due one on professionalism as well due to the high level of these games and the bumper gates to date.

I don't think you can measure what is better or more entertaining etc, everyone to their own and enjoy them for what they are.

haveaharp

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 12, 2013, 12:22:08 PM

I'm actually serious.

That paint is still wet. Careful now.

easytiger95

Always loved test cricket - first got into it with the West Indies side of the late 80s early 90s - Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh etc. Fell out of following it for a few years but the Ashes 2005 got me back into it - this series is not as good as that year but as mentioned the Sky coverage is first class.

Bringing it back to the hurling v football debate, sport is sport, and for me there is no aesthetic difference between Conor Lehane side stepping for a point, Jack mcCaffrey blasting past wing forwards to set up an attack, or Ian Bell dissecting the Aussie attack for another century - we're just privileged to see these artists doing their thing. Genius.

(though as I speak the Aussies are taking over the 4th test - Warner playing great for a man who usually wears a comedy moustache!)

Eamonnca1

Has 20Twenty cricket appeared on TV yet? By all accounts it's huge in India.

easytiger95

Yeah the IPL was on ITV4 this summer - I prefer the Tests myself, but a good IPL game will give you a nerve jangling finish - say 40 needed off 24 balls and it goes down to the wire, and then they have an over each to bat in extra time - loads of 4's and 6's. But apparently a lot of those IPL games are fixed.

AZOffaly

20Twenty has been around for a couple of years now. I think the English counties play a T20 Cup or something as well.

I went to a double Wicket tournament in Saint Lucia one time and it was great. All the test nations were playing, the day flew..

easytiger95

Saint Lucia, no less!! Far from Saint Lucia you were raised AZ  ;D