Under 25s competition starting

Started by orangeman, January 18, 2017, 09:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

general_lee

I'm sure County boards can't wait to have to pay to field another team. I'd like to see junior teams introduced back in Ulster. Think Armagh have an extended panel of 60 odd at the min. Don't see the point if half these are gonna cast aside before the national league starts.

Syferus

Junior is pure shite. Unless the grade is renovated it's just a waste of any county's money. You'd get much more value out of an U23 training panel that plays challenge matches than you would out of a junior team.

AZOffaly

That's rubbish Syf. It just depends what you want to do with your Junior team. 7 (I think) of the Tipp senior team played Junior just a couple of years ago, including the Goalkeeper, Jimmy Feehan and Jason Lonergan.

If some counties treat it like shite, it devalues the competition, certainly. But counties who take it seriously like Kerry definitely get benefits out of it.

If it's good enough for Kerry, but not for Roscommon, then that probably says more about Roscommon to be honest.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2017, 12:32:19 PM
That's rubbish Syf. It just depends what you want to do with your Junior team. 7 (I think) of the Tipp senior team played Junior just a couple of years ago, including the Goalkeeper, Jimmy Feehan and Jason Lonergan.

If some counties treat it like shite, it devalues the competition, certainly. But counties who take it seriously like Kerry definitely get benefits out of it.

If it's good enough for Kerry, but not for Roscommon, then that probably says more about Roscommon to be honest.

It's not good enough for Ulster either. Kerry can use it however they want, but as it stands it's three or four games a year, and that's if you win. It's not a competition with any intention to develop players.

Maybe you can redesign it to and make it that but the strong suspicion I have is it's on exactly the same road the Railway Cup is.

Rossfan

Whatever about Junior I'd be thinking any lad who hadn't made  Co Senior by 25 would be as well left alone.
I think Counties are allowed field u23 teams in the JFCs this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2017, 01:55:04 PM

It's not good enough for Ulster either. Kerry can use it however they want, but as it stands it's three or four games a year, and that's if you win. It's not a competition with any intention to develop players.

Maybe you can redesign it to and make it that but the strong suspicion I have is it's on exactly the same road the Railway Cup is.

I suppose you get out of it what you want to put into it. We used it to act as a stepping stone for developing young lads who are maybe out of U21, or Minor, but not yet getting regular game time at Senior level. We trained alongside the Senior squad, and there was a crossover of players. Kerry and Cork do something similar, although I'm not sure if they crossover.  I think in that sense it is a useful exercise. It's basically a Development squad for older players.

Kildare seem to take it seriously, as do counties like Cavan and Louth.

You can't make teams take it seriously, and the competition itself suffers because of that, but any team that does take it seriously gets some benefit out of it.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2017, 02:25:43 PM

I suppose you get out of it what you want to put into it. We used it to act as a stepping stone for developing young lads who are maybe out of U21, or Minor, but not yet getting regular game time at Senior level. We trained alongside the Senior squad, and there was a crossover of players. Kerry and Cork do something similar, although I'm not sure if they crossover.  I think in that sense it is a useful exercise. It's basically a Development squad for older players.

You can't make teams take it seriously, and the competition itself suffers because of that, but any team that does take it seriously gets some benefit out of it.
Not so long ago Roscommon also took it serious, AI winners 2000 and runners up 2006,08.09 however they are now the only team in Connacht that don't play this competition ongoing since 2011 I believe. I asked a few last year why this was the case? Answer I got back was the start of the club championship and the Connacht junior championship clashes in May and clubs would refuse to release their players.

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare have used an u23 panel in the JFC over the last few years. It seems to be a good stepping stone for players who finish up at u21 level but haven't quite made it onto the fringes of the senior panel.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 18, 2017, 02:49:23 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2017, 02:25:43 PM

Not so long ago Roscommon also took it serious, AI winners 2000 and runners up 2006,08.09 however they are now the only team in Connacht that don't play this competition ongoing since 2011 I believe. I asked a few last year why this was the case? Answer I got back was the start of the club championship and the Connacht junior championship clashes in May and clubs would refuse to release their players.

Roscommon has some truly mighty senior teams in the mid to late 00s too.

It was no benefit to senior at all. Part of the reason we've rightly abandoned it. The U23 panel this year will benefit both the senior team and the palmers involved more in the long run, and cost less.

From the Bunker

With Kerry having only 8 senior teams they have a huge pool of players to pick from. They will continue to dominate this like the Intermediate and Junior Club scene. No one will question their obvious advantage, because it's Kerry and when they win - it's expected - because they have naturally better players than everyone else!

magpie seanie

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 18, 2017, 07:10:37 PM

With Kerry having only 8 senior teams they have a huge pool of players to pick from. They will continue to dominate this like the Intermediate and Junior Club scene. No one will question their obvious advantage, because it's Kerry and when they win - it's expected - because they have naturally better players than everyone else!

Nothing to stop anyone else changing their club structures to be similar to Kerry. Especially large counties with loads of clubs.

From the Bunker

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2017, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 18, 2017, 07:10:37 PM

Nothing to stop anyone else changing their club structures to be similar to Kerry. Especially large counties with loads of clubs.

Or even smaller counties improving their chances of winning Intermediate and Junior Provincial and AI titles?