GAA Injury Fund (Not Insurance)

Started by illdecide, January 13, 2017, 11:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchkin

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 14, 2017, 07:53:09 PM
I am surprised that any insurance company would even take this business on. <snip>
as per the title, its not insurance, its a self financing fund. Its no more than a glorified pot of cash, which takes in €1000 per team and as is mentioned here pays some teams many multiples of that.
If too many look for help from the pot of cash then the viability of the scheme comes into question. 

The Injury Fund is a benefit cover funded entirely from Club and Central Council contributions. The Injury Benefit Fund is not an Insurance Scheme and is therefore not regulated by the Central Bank.
<snip >
The Injury Fund does not seek to fully compensate but to supplement other covers such as Private Health Insurance, National Health Insurance, Personal Accident Cover, Employment benefit covers, Income Payment protection covers
http://learning.gaa.ie/sites/default/files/Club%20Manual%20Insurance%20%26%20GAA%20Injury%20Benefit%20Fund%20(1).pdf

Just seeing that last line, you'd wonder if people cutting their VHI cover to a more basic plan (or altogether) might be another factor causing more players to claim off this fund, seeing as work otherwise done by the VHI might now have to be paid for by the fund.

illdecide

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
I am surprised that any insurance company would even take this business on. There are so many scams going on with dodgy receipts, exagerated claims that it is bound to be a loser.
Of course people will want Croke Park to cover it but that will only happen at the cost of higher ticket prices, affilation fees etc

Willis only administer the scheme for the GAA. The GAA top up the scheme to the tune of €1-2M per annum to cover the shortfall between premiums and payouts.

It's very annoying if dishonest clubs are ruining this for the majority.

Correct..that's why the title of the tread is "injury fund". It's not insurance but just a fund to help...whats their objective though? I mean in the long run are they looking the players to take out their own private insurance? but what I'm told is you have to pay this premium to Croke Park no matter what...If clubs are dishonest in claiming that's totally wrong and I've heard stories before about the system being abused...but there are dishonest people everywhere in the world and the GAA have them just like the rest
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

manfromdelmonte

I am surprised that any insurance company would even take this business on. There are so many scams going on with dodgy receipts, exagerated claims that it is bound to be a loser.
Of course people will want Croke Park to cover it but that will only happen at the cost of higher ticket prices, affilation fees etc

Willis only administer the scheme for the GAA. The GAA top up the scheme to the tune of €1-2M per annum to cover the shortfall between premiums and payouts.

There are over 2500 GAA clubs in the country
1-2 million isn't a huge amount

magpie seanie

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 16, 2017, 03:03:57 PM

There are over 2500 GAA clubs in the country
1-2 million isn't a huge amount

I agree. Especially when you see the money spent in other areas.