The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/jackson-warns-critics-after-trial-ill-sue-you-36761205.html
In the wake of the not guilty verdicts in the Ulster rugby rape trial, legal representatives for the player say they are "monitoring everything" including "social media commentary, WhatsApp, Google searches". This also includes protest marches held around the country.
"We are setting down a marker," Mr Jackson's solicitor in Belfast said.

"We won't hesitate to issue proceedings."

It's an admirable stance against the cowardly online vigilante mob. It's a sad reflection of how phoney a society we live in that a man who makes a self-serving PR apology is widely praised while another who stands up for himself is hounded by a mob of idiots. While I feel his bravery will backfire in terms of his career, it's a heroic stance against bullies and the action of a man who fully believes in his own innocence.

Itchy

Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2018, 01:01:50 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 12:36:37 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2018, 12:32:05 AM
Truly baffling but all too common now in this internet age. Social justice warriors have zero interest in nuance. They form an opinion that fits their ideology and then they saturate the airwaves with their hard edged version of the truth. How can anyone of good conscience say what they are saying with such certainty and with such venom? These people don't give a fook about the truth or the impact on the lives of those who they disagree with.
Anybody who uses the words "social justice warriors" sort of destroys their own argument.

And why would that be sid? Typical of the style you see on twitter I have to say.  ::)

Think you are right skull. There are some very unpleasant people on Twitter fighting a war of some sort and THEY are using this girl to further their agenda. They don't give a shit about the men having the right to a trial. They belong to a group of radical feminists  (I don't believe they are feminists at all). Yesterday i asked one who said "all men rape" was she aware there were 3 women on the jury and she told me I was a rape apologist!

RedHand88

Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 01:11:46 AM
Truly baffling but all too common now in this internet age. Social justice warriors have zero interest in nuance. They form an opinion that fits their ideology and then they saturate the airwaves with their hard edged version of the truth. How can anyone of good conscience say what they are saying with such certainty and with such venom? These people don't give a fook about the truth or the impact on the lives of those who they disagree with.
Anybody who uses the words "social justice warriors" sort of destroys their own argument.

And why would that be sid? Typical of the style you see on twitter I have to say.  ::)

Using the term "social justice warrior" is very Twitter alright. It's a tool to try and delegitimise debate. All alt-right terminology is.

By far the most venomous reaction I've seen has been from those who are seeking to vilify the complainant, by the way.

Then I suggest you take another look at some of the stuff on the #suemepaddy trend. Its character assassination stuff at this stage. Gary Walsh was turfed off the laois panel for what he said about the complainant (rightly so imo). By comparison, look at what the likes of what @flyingteacosy have said about PJ and it goes completely unchecked.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 31, 2018, 08:43:26 AM
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/jackson-warns-critics-after-trial-ill-sue-you-36761205.html
In the wake of the not guilty verdicts in the Ulster rugby rape trial, legal representatives for the player say they are "monitoring everything" including "social media commentary, WhatsApp, Google searches". This also includes protest marches held around the country.

It's an admirable stance against the cowardly online vigilante mob. It's a sad reflection of how phoney a society we live in that a man who makes a self-serving PR apology is widely praised while another who stands up for himself is hounded by a mob of idiots. While I feel his bravery will backfire in terms of his career, it's a heroic stance against bullies and the action of a man who fully believes in his own innocence.

While i agree about the "social justice warriors" stuff after everything that has come out i would be very loathe to attach the term heroic to a person who conducts themself the way he does.

general_lee

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 31, 2018, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 01:11:46 AM

Using the term "social justice warrior" is very Twitter alright. It's a tool to try and delegitimise debate. All alt-right terminology is.

By far the most venomous reaction I've seen has been from those who are seeking to vilify the complainant, by the way.

Then I suggest you take another look at some of the stuff on the #suemepaddy trend. Its character assassination stuff at this stage. Gary Walsh was turfed off the laois panel for what he said about the complainant (rightly so imo). By comparison, look at what the likes of what @flyingteacosy have said about PJ and it goes completely unchecked.
That flying teacosy woman is a psycho and fits perfectly the stereotypical man-hating militant lesbian.

gallsman

"Militant" lesbians? Is that a thing? Is making a load of noise on Twitter a storm of militancy now?

Minder

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2018, 08:50:35 AM

Think you are right skull. There are some very unpleasant people on Twitter fighting a war of some sort and THEY are using this girl to further their agenda. They don't give a shit about the men having the right to a trial. They belong to a group of radical feminists  (I don't believe they are feminists at all). Yesterday i asked one who said "all men rape" was she aware there were 3 women on the jury and she told me I was a rape apologist!

They will soon move on to the next "cause", if they haven't already
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2018, 09:18:29 AM

While i agree about the "social justice warriors" stuff after everything that has come out i would be very loathe to attach the term heroic to a person who conducts themself the way he does.

Having a threesome and calling yourself a top shagger is hardly a hanging offence, seems to me thats the norm with these WhatsApps messages with young ones nowadays, not how it was in my day but we weren't saints either when it came to talking about sexual exploits.

The PC brigade are having a fit but if they actually had a look at their sons and daughters phones they'd see stuff that could well fall into what's been shown at this court case..

Remember watching a thing about Colin stag and how he was hounded by everyone. And even after they caught the real killer the accusations  never left him completely, cause people are thick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dougal Maguire

It's not for me to defend P Jackson or anyone, they wouldn't come out to defend me if the boot was on the other foot, but I have to agree with the above. Lads boast and brag about things, that's the way it's always been and that's the way it will be. These were private messages. They never had any idea they'd become public. People need to loosen up a bit.
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2018, 10:07:39 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2018, 09:18:29 AM

Having a threesome and calling yourself a top shagger is hardly a hanging offence, seems to me thats the norm with these WhatsApps messages with young ones nowadays, not how it was in my day but we weren't saints either when it came to talking about sexual exploits.

The PC brigade are having a fit but if they actually had a look at their sons and daughters phones they'd see stuff that could well fall into what's been shown at this court case..

Remember watching a thing about Colin stag and how he was hounded by everyone. And even after they caught the real killer the accusations  never left him completely, cause people are thick

Nor did i say it was. I wouldn't ever deem the guy heroic or brave though which was my point.

StGallsGAA

I've neither condemned nor defended them to date as it seemed to be something that got out of hand on a booze fuelled night, however PJ has made a huge mistake suing O'Roirdan over his tweet.   No point making statements regretting your behaviour then taking exception to someone calling you out for that behaviour.  Very poor judgement by his legal advisor.   This could be more damaging to PJs image  than the trial itself.

AQMP

According to Jackson's legal team using a certain twitter hashtag suggesting that you found the complainant's version of events credible (ahem) is defamatory and they're going to set down a marker on social media.

Can't help thinking that this is just keeping the trial running after it's over.

JPGJOHNNYG

I hope Paddy does sue left right and centre. Too many f**k wits on social media who think they can say what they want. About time something was done to discourage it