The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 28, 2018, 06:05:04 PM
This case should never have come to court after the mess the police made of the girl's interview. If they'd asked her the right questions it most likely would have been dropped there and then anyway. The verdict couldn't have been reached much faster given there were 4 defendants. It strongly suggests that reasonable doubt didn't come into it.

For the Police to investigate this allegation properly they needed to ask her the questions the defence asked her to clear up any ambiguities.
The fact that they didn't shows how emasculated they become and were afraid of being accused  by the feminist of not treating alleged rapevictims sympathetically
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyCake

Quote from: themac_23 on March 28, 2018, 06:56:13 PM
Holy smokes, they are holding solidarity rallies in Belfast, dublin and Limerick tomorrow, that has to be a joke?

Solidarity for who?

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: BennyCake on March 28, 2018, 07:02:02 PM
Holy smokes, they are holding solidarity rallies in Belfast, dublin and Limerick tomorrow, that has to be a joke?

Solidarity for who?

Surely someone could represent us at one of these. A wee poster "Gaaboard stands with you #200pages" could be rustled up

Avondhu star

So they won't be able to attend the "Rose West is innocent" rally so.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

brokencrossbar1

Solidarity for who?

#ibelieveher

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2018, 07:04:53 PM

Solidarity for who?

#ibelieveher

Cute. The glad-handing from the other side is just as bad.

BennyCake

Solidarity for who?

#ibelieveher

Oh sweet Jesus   ::)

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 28, 2018, 06:10:04 PM
I've not been following this thread and only read this page but now they were found not guilty should it not be fair and just that her photo be released.
Basically we've all been exposed (pardon the pun) do the defendants photos over the last month and they will have suffered because of that, even now when found not guilty but this lady doesn't have to show her face

Is this what equality is in today's world?
She could have (and maybe she has anyway) ruined these guys lives with her allegations yet not many knows her name or what she looks like

It hasn't been proven that she lied. They were unable to be proven guilty not proven innocent.

If there is reasonable doubt then you can't send people to jail. That is really all this case has illustrated and I don't think anyone is any the wiser as to whether a rape took place.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2018, 07:08:30 PM

Solidarity for who?

#ibelieveher

Do you not support the movement seeing as you do believe her?

Tony Baloney

And Galway.

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2018, 07:11:17 PM

Solidarity for who?

#ibelieveher

I believe her but I don't support hysterically protesting the court's decision. Legally and based on the judge's directions the jury carried out their jobs.

That said, this case highlighted that the way rape cases are tried has some serious flaws and under a better and fairer system a different result would have been possible. If they're protesting the system rather than the decision I'd have more respect for the sentiment.

AZOffaly

I have no problem with them protesting the way in which the complainant was treated, or the fact that the trial was so public.

I do have a problem if they are saying the jury got it wrong.

And I'm not impressed with the sentiment which seems to be out there. Either #ibelieveher or else you are an apologist for rape and a misogynistic pig.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2018, 07:17:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2018, 07:11:17 PM

Solidarity for who?

#ibelieveher

I believe her but I don't support hysterically protesting the court's decision. Legally and based on the judge's directions the jury carried out their jobs.

That said, this case highlighted that the way rape cases are tried has some serious flaws and under a better and fairer system a different result would have been possible. If they're protesting the system rather than the decision I'd have more respect for the sentiment.
A trial needs to be fair to all parties not the complainant. Are you advocating a lower bar?

The fact is all parties had 2 months to present their case yet within 4 hours the defendants were found unanimously not guilty. It's pretty clear the complainants case wasn't close to the high bar.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 07:19:35 PM
I have no problem with them protesting the way in which the complainant was treated, or the fact that the trial was so public.

And I'm not impressed with the sentiment which seems to be out there. Either #ibelieveher or else you are an apologist for rape and a misogynistic pig.
Twitter isn't the place for reasoned debate.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 28, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 07:19:35 PM

Twitter isn't the place for reasoned debate.

You got that right.