The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

I expect outrage no matter the verdict. I don't think there is any winner here only the barristers, solicitors and legal teams. Pity the jurors in a case befuddled by so many grey areas.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2018, 12:50:13 PM
I expect outrage no matter the verdict. I don't think there is any winner here only the barristers, solicitors and legal teams. Pity the jurors in a case befuddled by so many grey areas.

If there's outrage because of a guilty verdict those people should hang their heads in shame. Incredibly hard to get a rape conviction to stick and every metric is in favour of them getting off.

The woman would be a clear winner in that outcome, and would be a hero for women in her position in the future (she already is, in many ways) so to think otherwise is sticking your head in the sand and drawing yet more false equilvences in a thread filled with them.

AZOffaly

BCB, what does this mean? A majority verdict is not going to be enough?

Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
7m7 minutes ago
More
Before asking them to retire to their jury room, Judge Smyth tells the jurors she can only accept a unanimous verdict - so all eleven must be in agreement.

Minder

Was just going to post that AZ
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RedHand88

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 27, 2018, 12:55:19 PM

Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
7m7 minutes ago
More
Before asking them to retire to their jury room, Judge Smyth tells the jurors she can only accept a unanimous verdict - so all eleven must be in agreement.

I think i read that initially she wants only unanimous. If it can't be decided that way then they will go for majority.

Sweeper 123

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2018, 12:55:08 PM

If there's outrage because of a guilty verdict those people should hang their heads in shame. Incredibly hard to get a rape conviction to stick and every metric is in favour of them getting off.

Sef and if theres a not guilty verdict should their be outrage at the girl wasting tax payers money?

Syferus

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on March 27, 2018, 01:00:09 PM

Sef and if theres a not guilty verdict should their be outrage at the girl wasting tax payers money?

A verdict of not guilty is not the same as innocence.

By the way, it is the State that has brought charges against the 'Top Shaggers', not the woman.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2018, 01:01:58 PM

By the way, it is the State that has brought charges against the 'Top Shaggers', not the woman.

It's the Public Prosecution Service

Syferus

Quote from: longballin on March 27, 2018, 01:03:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2018, 01:01:58 PM

It's the Public Prosecution Service

The key is in the 'Public' part, longballin..

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 27, 2018, 12:59:32 PM

Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
7m7 minutes ago
More

I think i read that initially she wants only unanimous. If it can't be decided that way then they will go for majority.

The judge has an authority to demand a unanimous verdict. It is her prerogative to refuse to accept a majority. Given that there is a juror down maybe she wants a unanimous verdict. She can say that a majority verdict is acceptable after this stage. This to me smells like a hung jury and the establishment happy for a hung jury and no retrial.

RedHand88

Minimum of 2hr 45min deliberation and they started at 12.40pm. I'm nervous and I've zero vested interest in this trial.

yellowcard

The woman would be a clear winner in that outcome, and would be a hero for women in her position in the future (she already is, in many ways) so to think otherwise is sticking your head in the sand and drawing yet more false equilvences in a thread filled with them.

I actually agree with your first sentence because for me I think we have to trust the jury to arrive at the correct decision. My guess is that there will be a guilty verdict bestowed on either one or all of Jackson (on lesser charge), McIlroy or Harrison. Possibly McIlroy being the most likely to be charged. Olding looks the least likely to be found gulity imo. Just to clarify, in that case I would expect there to be recriminations as to who got off given the different levels of alleged offences.   

gallsman

You don't really get the criminal justice system, do you?

AQMP

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2018, 12:47:08 PM
Deliberations have started . . . can any of the legal eagles give an estimate if this will finish today or most likely tomorrow?
Frank Greaney was on Newstalk this morning talking about the possibility of the trial going into a 10th week!

Very difficult job for the jury. I've my own views but I'll not be judging the jury no matter what the outcome.

My head has me leaning toward a hung jury with no retrial given the publicity this case has attracted

GetOverTheBar

Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
7m7 minutes ago
More

Absolutely no chance they go down here IMO.

Again, that's not to say they are 'not guilty'.