The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 02:29:21 PM
Frank Greaney
Mr. Jackson says he also has no recollection of the woman performing oral sex on him (McIlroy). Again he says he has no reason to suppose he is lying about that

Rosanna Cooney
Jackson says that Blane McIIroy's account of the complainant performing oral sex on McIIroy while Jackson put his fingers inside the complainant "didn't happen".

That's two very different ways of describing the same question/answer!

A comparison of the two twitters feeds shows the danger of drawing conclusions from what are essentially snippets.

Even if they were complete and accurate I reckon that the sheer volume of statements means that the summing up statements will be key.  How they point to inconsistencies in all these statements and what narrative they derive will set the tone  for the jury's deliberations.

/Jim.

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2018, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2018, 04:20:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2018, 04:14:19 PM
I'm sure his junior infants teacher thought he was a lovely lad..

Having a threesome does not make you an animal, being convicted of rape does

As for them coming to the stand, I finding it strange, are they that confident that the proscecution wouldnt have much to go with when cross examining or did they feel that the case would be lost without them taking the stand?

Usually if you feel the prosecution case is weak you'd not give evidence as you run the risk of tripping yourself up.  I'm no expert but maybe here since the complainant was on the stand for 6 or 7 days, the defence barrister thinks the jury needs to hear his side of the story from his own mouth to counter what she said.

yeah and thats fine but he was up in the stand for how long? And was there really any damage from that questioning? only based on whats been posted I dont think its that bad, I'd have a lot more questions for him

Only 3.5 hours for Jackson, yeah you'd think he'd have been up for longer than that.  I dunno, the discrepancy over spit roasting might nag at the jury since Jackson's position is that no only was what happened consensual but that he didn't penetrate the woman with his penis.  Spit roasting to everyone else suggest full sex by one of the male parties.  Also I think the defence brought up the witness' evidence that she saw Jackson having full sex with the complainant, Jackson just said she was wrong.

AQMP

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 07, 2018, 03:28:58 PM
Did Jackson actually send a message saying that spit-roasting went on?

From Newstalk

At 11.17am, Olding text 'we are all top shaggers' and 'there was a bit of spit roasting going on last night lads' - to which Jackson replied 'there was a lot of spit roast last night'.[/b]

Keyser soze

My recollection of that whatsapp exchange was that Jackson replied 'yeah there was a lot of spit last night' .

Taylor

If one defendant takes the stand does it mean they all have to?

Or have they declared they will all take the stand?

AQMP

Quote from: Taylor on March 07, 2018, 04:44:42 PM

No I think it's up to each defendant.  You'd think McIlroy would have to take the stand as Jackson called him out as a spoofer.

AQMP

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 07, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
My recollection of that whatsapp exchange was that Jackson replied 'yeah there was a lot of spit last night' .

From JOE.ie (though the news outlets might just be copying from each other):

At 11:17am, Olding responds to the JACOME WhatsApp group to say, "we are all top shaggers" and "there was a bit of spit roasting going on last night fellas."

Jackson adds, "There was a lot of spit roast last night."

RedHand88

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 04:55:46 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on March 07, 2018, 04:43:00 PM

From JOE.ie (though the news outlets might just be copying from each other):

At 11:17am, Olding responds to the JACOME WhatsApp group to say, "we are all top shaggers" and "there was a bit of spit roasting going on last night fellas."

Jackson adds, "There was a lot of spit roast last night."

No ive definitely read it as "spit" in most articles. Sums up the danger in us getting our news of an extremely complex case in 280 characters.

Hound

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 04:40:26 PM

From Newstalk

At 11.17am, Olding text 'we are all top shaggers' and 'there was a bit of spit roasting going on last night lads' - to which Jackson replied 'there was a lot of spit roast last night'.[/b]

Yeah, think that was a minor mistake by Greaney. Pretty sure the Irish Times reported that Jackson's reply was "there was a lot of spit last night".

So either way, from Jackson's position, he's hardly going to correct Olding on the Lads Whatsapp and say: Actually I was only using my fingers, so technically it wasn't a spit roast".

The big positive for Jackson in defending his story is that he didn't finish, in that if he had penetrated you'd expect that would generally (albeit not necessarily always) result in a finish. The big negative is the witness saying otherwise.  Although even that doesn't prove lack of consent.

I agree with someone above, that I was surprised the prosecutor didn't go harder on consent. He seemed to be more trying to pull on the heartstrings of the jury saying its the lads words against the lady. Although maybe reality was a lot different than twitter!

David McKeown

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 04:54:41 PM

No I think it's up to each defendant.  You'd think McIlroy would have to take the stand as Jackson called him out as a spoofer.

Did he though?  One report suggested he definitely did the other suggests he said he didn't see what McIlroy said in his statement had happened but he had no reason to doubt him.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hound

Quote from: David McKeown on March 07, 2018, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 04:54:41 PM

Did he though?  One report suggested he definitely did the other suggests he said he didn't see what McIlroy said in his statement had happened but he had no reason to doubt him.
In the more positive version he said he didn't see it but had no reason to think McIlroy made it up. In the more negative he said "it didn't happen"

Orior

This spit roast thing isn't all its cracked up to be. Ask yourself, who are you looking at when doing it?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Syferus

Quote from: Orior on March 07, 2018, 05:05:42 PM
This spit roast thing isn't all its cracked up to be. Ask yourself, who are you looking at when doing it?

Stay classy.

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 02:29:21 PM
Frank Greaney
Mr. Jackson says he also has no recollection of the woman performing oral sex on him (McIlroy). Again he says he has no reason to suppose he is lying about that

Rosanna Cooney
Jackson says that Blane McIIroy's account of the complainant performing oral sex on McIIroy while Jackson put his fingers inside the complainant "didn't happen".

That's two very different ways of describing the same question/answer!

https://twitter.com/cescacomyn/status/971398953324474368
@cescacomyn
Follow Follow @cescacomyn
More
It was put to Jackson that when Blane McIlroy launched himself into the room naked , the young woman just had enough. "That didn't happen," he replied

AQMP

Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 04:40:26 PM

From Newstalk

Yeah, think that was a minor mistake by Greaney. Pretty sure the Irish Times reported that Jackson's reply was "there was a lot of spit last night".

So either way, from Jackson's position, he's hardly going to correct Olding on the Lads Whatsapp and say: Actually I was only using my fingers, so technically it wasn't a spit roast".

The big positive for Jackson in defending his story is that he didn't finish, in that if he had penetrated you'd expect that would generally (albeit not necessarily always) result in a finish. The big negative is the witness saying otherwise.  Although even that doesn't prove lack of consent.

I agree with someone above, that I was surprised the prosecutor didn't go harder on consent. He seemed to be more trying to pull on the heartstrings of the jury saying its the lads words against the lady. Although maybe reality was a lot different than twitter!

Francesca Comyn

Verified account

@cescacomyn

Prosecution: "I suggest to you in the unguarded moments in the aftermath of what hapened that night were perfectly happy to tell your little world that you had been involved in a spit roast". "yes" Jackson replies