The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: trileacman on February 25, 2018, 03:07:08 PM
The only evidence many can provide in favour of the prosecutions case is that it's hard for a woman to bring forward a rape case and men are prejudiced against rape victims. Very few of those who believe the prosecutions case care to ponder on the actual  evidence from the trial.

Such bullshit.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 25, 2018, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 25, 2018, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on February 25, 2018, 09:27:49 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on February 25, 2018, 09:00:56 AM
Quick question, would the PPS have taken this case to court if it wasn't for the high profiles of the accused? Just asking because it seems that way.

PPs originally decided not to run the case.

Family instructed Counsel to challenge this and he convinced PPS to throw it before a jury and see what would happen as opposed to presume what would happen. He is on a fair wedge for this

If convictions are not achieved by PPS after this trial costing many hundreds of thousands then there will be serious fallout at the PPS on the decision to prosecute.  Convictions or not the lives of 5 young people will be in shreds and their families will have to live with the consequences long after the MSM and social media interest has moved on to the next thing.
Dead right.
If the sexual offences act 2008 that David just quoted is the law that governs this case, then it should never have seen trial. The girl has been unable to specify any verbal or non-verbal indication she gave to the men to show she wasn't consenting until number 3 walked in. At least nothing that's been reported. The only specific detail we've heard from her is the admission that she took her own top off.
It looks almost certain that they will be found not guilty at this stage, from the evidence we've heard.

Reasonable doubt is all over this case.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2018, 07:11:12 PM
The only evidence many can provide in favour of the prosecutions case is that it's hard for a woman to bring forward a rape case and men are prejudiced against rape victims. Very few of those who believe the prosecutions case care to ponder on the actual  evidence from the trial.

Such bullshit.

So expand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2018, 07:11:12 PM

Such bullshit.

There are lots of articles in the press by women who said they were raped, and even their closest friends did not believe them.

Perhaps there is something in human nature that makes us think everyone likes sex, even on a first date.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Asal Mor

https://books.google.ie/books?id=OwgoBQAAQBAJ&pg=PT26&lpg=PT26&dq=compliance+vs+consent+rape+victims&source=bl&ots=CHcVMHCk60&sig=WyJG8g5Scm9FcKgPeU7evlfF5Ec&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiL6o6-7MHZAhUGasAKHTaoBNQQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=compliance%20vs%20consent%20rape%20victims&f=false

This is a link to a passage on compliance versus consent from a book based on interviews with rape victims. With all the regressive caveman talk I was curious to see what rape victims have to say on the subject and see if I could enlighten myself. Interestingly it speaks about compliance in situations where the victim is in fear or panic but not where there is no apparent threat and no reason to think if she'd asked them to stop that they would have hurt her, never mind the easy way out when another girl walked in.

Also it mentions that pleas to wear a condom, leave the victim's children unharmed etc. are signs of compliance rather than consent, which seems so obvious that it hardly needs stating. Again, it doesn't mention anything about victims undressing themselves despite the apparent absence of any physical threat or aggression. It seems that even rape victims are not quite as progressive as Syf, Seanie and co. on the subject.

I have no issue with anything in the passage I quoted, but some of the arguments made by posters(who think the lads are guilty)   on here about compliance versus consent simply defy logic.

Syferus

Stop trying to tart up the corpse that is your ancient prejudices. Only those looking for reasons to hold on to their backwards ideas on rape are even fooled in the first place.

Asal Mor

Backward ideas like the one that a girl who takes her own clothes off is up for it? Yep, I just can't seem to let that one go.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on February 25, 2018, 08:36:58 PM
Stop trying to tart up the corpse that is your ancient prejudices. Only those looking for reasons to hold on to their backwards ideas on rape are even fooled in the first place.

Come on, let's hear the legal qualifications you have again?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2018, 09:10:49 PM

Syferus's prejudices are more important that everyone elses. Someone earlier mentioned that wifes are regularly raped by their husband. In such cases, there is no evidence of domestic abuse, just rape. Does Syferus believe in the marriage vows, promising to love, honour and obey?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

StGallsGAA

Syferus definitely seems to be hot under the collar about this case and has found the rugby trio guilty long before they've even taken the stand.   Perhaps it's pressing the wrong buttons for him due to a personal experience?

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 25, 2018, 08:46:18 PM
Backward ideas like the one that a girl who takes her own clothes off is up for it? Yep, I just can't seem to let that one go.
Maybe she had no choice. I don't think legal insight is as important as how rapes unfold. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

The complainant alleges she had her trousers and underwear pulled off.

By her testimony, she had already been raped by the time she was ordered to take her top off.

Having already been raped and not having voluntarily taken any clothes off in that time, it's easy to see why she'd then comply with an order to take her top off.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2018, 09:10:49 PM

Advisor to the local pitch and toss school. Isn't that legal enough for you?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Tony Baloney

100 pages of pure speculation by Thursday I'd say.

Asal Mor

Quote from: sid waddell on February 25, 2018, 10:19:45 PM
The complainant alleges she had her trousers and underwear pulled off.

By her testimony, she had already been raped by the time she was ordered to take her top off.

Having already been raped and not having voluntarily taken any clothes off in that time, it's easy to see why she'd then comply with an order to take her top off.
True enough Sid, I hadn't read that part of her testimony or thought about the chronology (that the clothes on her bottom half were off before her top).