DERRY V FERMANAGH Healy Park Sat 21st June Throw in: 6pm

Started by never kickt a ball, June 02, 2008, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the green man

Quote from: FermPundit on June 02, 2008, 06:08:11 PM

Not sure if this game will be made all ticket, the main stand perhaps but I don't think Healy Park will be anywhere near full capacity. Fermanagh have a small supporter base and the Derry fans won't travel, especially against a side they should beat easily. Probably be a crowd of around 12-000-15,000 IMO.

Derry were impressive in the second half yesterday but they are over reliant on Paddy Bradley.

There'll be a brave turnout from Derry. I've never seen as many Derry supporters at a game in recent years as yesterdays. The bandwagon continues to roll. So will the support.

I fail to understand people who say that we are too reliant on Paddy. You give the ball to the man doing the damage. No point in saying 'Ah well Paddy sure you've scored enough now, we'll pass to someone else'.

If, as expected, Fermanagh play a man in front of him, that will leave us a spare man out the field. It's how we use that man that will determine the outcome of the game.

jodyb

Quote from: the green man on June 02, 2008, 08:33:46 PM
There'll be a brave turnout from Derry. I've never seen as many Derry supporters at a game in recent years as yesterdays. The badwagon continues to roll. So will the support.
Isn't it fcukin great to see it? I've been to too many games where I've been almost embarrassed at the turnout. At one stage yesterday, i started to think that we'd actually outnumbered the opposition support for once

the green man

Quote from: jodyb on June 02, 2008, 08:46:55 PM
Isn't it fcukin great to see it? I've been to too many games where I've been almost embarrassed at the turnout. At one stage yesterday, i started to think that we'd actually outnumbered the opposition support for once

Great too see. One bad result though, and most will fizzle away. Probably.

It was all red and white jerseys the whole road into Ballybofey.

Also can some wag/smartarse, not get a better chant for us than ' Der-ree Der-ree'? Thats rubbish. I propose 'London Calling' by the Clash. :P

jodyb

Quote from: the green man on June 02, 2008, 08:59:23 PM
Also can some wag/smartarse, not get a better chant for us than ' Der-ree Der-ree'? Thats rubbish. I propose 'London Calling' by the Clash. :P
Isn't Willy Mc Crea jus down the road from ye? He might be able to come up with something inspirational ;)

the green man

Quote from: jodyb on June 02, 2008, 09:04:54 PM
Isn't Willy Mc Crea jus down the road from ye? He might be able to come up with something inspirational ;)

Poor enough voice on him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPukxHvpUM

jodyb

Quote from: the green man on June 02, 2008, 09:06:51 PM
Quote from: jodyb on June 02, 2008, 09:04:54 PM

Poor enough voice on him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPukxHvpUM
:D Was that at your last barbie???

the green man

inisceithleann

So...all roads lead to Healy Park. Really looking forward to this clash and it'll be a good test for Fermanagh to see how far they've come on this year under O'Rourke. Will he risk Owens at full back? It'll be a big call but it may be totally necessary after Paddy Bradley's exploits yesterday. Not too worried about Skinner Bradley. Has there ever been a more greedy and wasteful player? I fancy Shane Goan to be the man to mark him on the 21st. The real discussion has been how Fermanaghs light forwards will get on against a big, strong Derry defence. From an Erne perspective, we'd be hoping that Derry will foul all round them, because if they are diciplined Fermanaghs forwards will struggle to drive past the likes of McCloy. Full forward is another problem position for us. I fancy James Sherry to be deployed in there. He's been average at best at CHF and Shane McCabe will surely start after his excellent cameo the last day.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

jodyb

If owens is fit, he's definitely one of the few that can contain PB. Cant disagree with ye on skinner, loadsa talent, but his greed outweighs his vision. Paddy was a wee bit like that in his early days so hopefully skinner can learn.

WRT the ferm forward line, pacy and sharp. Derry should should be fit to contain them, but depending on the ref, it could be a minefield from a Derry point of view.

Laois in 2005, with munnelly and wee donie brennan, that Maurice deegan w@nker blew the whistle every time mc guckin or lockhart touched them!! Wee man syndrome gone mad! (ask Colm O Rourke).
So it could go either way. Would like to think that Derry has the strength and bench to beat yes, but who knows.

the green man

Quote from: jodyb on June 02, 2008, 09:38:11 PM

So it could go either way. Would like to think that Derry has the strength and bench to beat yes, but who knows.

Dont know about that. We're awful shy on forwards in the subs. 3 out of the 15 subs on Sunday were forwards!

jodyb

Dook, Barry Mc Goldrick, Ciaran Mullan and Wee Wilkinson. Four to begin with. also James conway could also line out on the 40 any time. Where does the Steelstown lad O' Hea play? theres definitely more than 3.

inisceithleann

Quote from: jodyb on June 02, 2008, 09:38:11 PM
If owens is fit, he's definitely one of the few that can contain PB. Cant disagree with ye on skinner, loadsa talent, but his greed outweighs his vision. Paddy was a wee bit like that in his early days so hopefully skinner can learn.

WRT the ferm forward line, pacy and sharp. Derry should should be fit to contain them, but depending on the ref, it could be a minefield from a Derry point of view.

Laois in 2005, with munnelly and wee donie brennan, that Maurice deegan w@nker blew the whistle every time mc guckin or lockhart touched them!! Wee man syndrome gone mad! (ask Colm O Rourke).

Even if we get plenty of frees we're going to have to convert a lot more than we did last Sunday week. Ryan Keenan played excellently but needs to be more reliable. We really miss CiarĂ¡n O'Reilly and Tom Brewster in this regard. Tom is on his way back and is not a bad option in at full forward, but having been dogged with injury, it's hard to see him lasting 70 minutes. As regards the "Wee man syndrome" as many have said if you pull and drag and they go down it's a free regardless of the size of the man. Fermanagh forwards are cute, and will look for the free as soon as they are touched. We got slated for this tactic against Armagh in 2004 but if you watch the game, every one of John Bannon's decisions were correct. You can't argue with a referee who doesn't let the 'half foul' go. It's all about playing to your strengths.

the green man

Quote from: jodyb on June 02, 2008, 09:55:43 PM
Dook, Barry Mc Goldrick, Ciaran Mullan and Wee Wilkinson. Four to begin with. also James conway could also line out on the 40 any time. Where does the Steelstown lad O' Hea play? theres definitely more than 3.

O'Hea is deeefence. I counted Colly Dook, Banty and Wilkinson as the forwards. Barry isn't going to get you more than 1 or 2 points during a game. Christ the rest mightend get that either!

FermPundit

I'd be very surprised if Barry Owens makes an appearance let alone start. Last weekend was the first time he has kicked a ball this year. There's no way he'd be fit enough for the pace of a championship game.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on June 02, 2008, 10:01:42 PM
I'd be very surprised if Barry Owens makes an appearance let alone start. Last weekend was the first time he has kicked a ball this year. There's no way he'd be fit enough for the pace of a championship game.

He still has 3 weeks to get his fitness up, and who else could mark Paddy Bradley? Possibly Shane Goan, but Owensie is defiently the ideal man. Personally I think Clucker will play a sweeper role again in front of the full back line and Mark Little will drop back as well. This should help to cut out the ball going into Bradley. The tactics in the defence are going to be key to Fermanagh having a fighting chance.