3 (3.3%)
Smart arses.
15 (16.7%)
None of the above.
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on December 07, 2006, 01:26:17 PM
"Still, it's reassuring to hear that 3/5ths of GAA fans appear not actually to "hate" a million of their fellow islanders"

The poll is on who you hate THE MOST, just cause you dont vote for one doesnt mean you dont hate them too!

Does this mean that we (i.e. "the million others") are not actually "Brits"? And if so, does that mean we are simply "Irish"? Or mere "Neighbours"? I only ask in case I decide to become a fan of Gaelic sports, so that I'll know what sort of welcome I might expect... :-\
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lurganblue

is this the first time you posted on the GAA discussion side?

dubnut

Dont give him too much attention or he wont go away.
Trust me, one of the plagues of the non GAA site, only here to stir things up.
Strictly anti-gaa agenda.

BallyhaiseMan

Evil Genius
Who are your local GAA Club and what level do their senior team play at?

the bucket

the Mayo County Board and the Verger

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on December 07, 2006, 01:24:17 PM
"Maybe the categories need widening, to include "Irish people who call themselves Brits"?

Great point Evil Genuis, I'd definately vote for them!

As a self proclaimed Brit, do you also follow the GAA?

I'm actually interested in most sports (well, motor sports excepted, since they invariably bore the tits off me). As such, I have a passing interest in Gaelic Football, though am slightly ambivalent partly because of the political "hue" that attaches itself to the game (in certain of the Ulster counties, anyhow), though more because it is a competitor with my own preferred game, soccer (as I think you term it).
From what very little I've seen of hurling, it seems to be a wonderfully skillfull and athletic game, but I've never lived in any of its traditional heartlands, so it doesn't really "appear on my radar".
My Granda was an accomplished Handball player AFAIK, but that was a long time ago.

On reflection, I think I'd like to follow GAA, but it has certain off-putting elements which deter me, including the notion that 2/5ths of its followers don't appear in the least embarrassed about voting that they "hate" me and my sort on this Poll. Of course, I accept that this kind of survey has a tongue-in-cheek element to it, so that it should not necessarily be taken at face value.
Perhaps more disturbing than the active "haters", are those who, when they see the term "Brits", don't even stop to think that that might actually include people who work at the next desk to them, or catch the same bus, go to the same films, or drink in the same bars. Perhaps it's the Irish accents which throw them off the scent... 8)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

Heres a question for the Northern contributors.
Theres about a million of you in all.
Evil Genuis reckons you consider yourselves to be British.

"As one of around a million Irish people who also considers himself to be British, which category do I fall into?"

Care to comment?

hows she cutting

I hate the straw hat, Tin of Harp drinking, big Championship match band wagon brigade that plague most counties.

Why go to a game and get smashed off yer face before watching it.

Clubs should stop these booze buses leaving their area to bring young ones (& not so young ones) to Clones, Croker, Casement etc etc to puke and piss all over the street.

Have to admit my own county Tyrone is as bad as any others for this disease

Evil Genius

Quote from: lurganblue on December 07, 2006, 01:42:56 PM
is this the first time you posted on the GAA discussion side?

No, I have contributed to two other threads. One was "Twenty Reasons why Football is better than Soccer", where my attempt at a humourous reply seemed to bring the wrath of several other posters down on my head. This criticism wasn't just for the actual substance of my post, but also of the "What right do you have even to be here?" variety.
I also started a thread on the proposed new Maze stadium, since this obviously affects both codes directly, and I was keen to hear the opinions of GAA fans.
Aside from that, I browse the GAA section occasionally out of interest, but don't post, since I'm really not qualified even to venture an opinion.

As regards this particular thread, I have to say I was struck by the unselfconscious manner in which some GAA fans appear blithely not even to "see" that there are a million other people on this island who might raise an eyebrow at seeing a poll on a sports board which could be taken to mean that they are "hated", for no reason, sporting or otherwise, other than that they hold a different political opinion.

I used to think that many fans of GAA were antagonistic towards people like me; after browsing this Board, I have been educated to understand that this is not so, other than for a small but vociferous minority, mostly located in six of the most Northerly counties of the island (if I may express it so!).
However, I still feel that many more GAA fans simply do not see that there is another Irish "constituency" sharing this island with them, to which they are wholly indifferent, at best.

To put it another way, how would people here feel if they were to see a poll on a soccer board asking who they "hated" most, which alongside the usual suspects (Linfield, Glentoran, Man U, Liverpool etc), they also included "the Irish"? I suspect that the 40% of people on here who voted for "The Brits" would actually be the first to be spitting feathers in outrage.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts, seeing as you asked.

P.S. Before anyone jumps in, I did not actually start this thread, nor did I place it in the "GAA Section", so anyone who doesn't like my particular replies, might just look towards whoever it was did. Unless there is some sort of "qualification" which one must hold before being "allowed" to post on a public discussion board?  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

magpie seanie

When calculating your stats please modify them to include the significant majority who don't bother their holes with infantile shit like this before making sweeping generalisations.

dubnut

"I used to think that many fans of GAA were antagonistic towards people like me"

The other way round Evil Genius!

Evil Genius

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2006, 02:31:02 PM
When calculating your stats please modify them to include the significant majority who don't bother their holes with infantile shit like this before making sweeping generalisations.

"Of course, I accept that this kind of survey has a tongue-in-cheek element to it, so that it should not necessarily be taken at face value."

"I was struck by the unselfconscious manner in which some GAA fans appear..."

Still, it's reassuring to hear that 3/5ths of GAA fans appear not actually to "hate" a million of their fellow islanders" ;)

"...including the notion that 2/5ths of its followers don't appear in the least embarrassed about voting that they "hate" me and my sort on this Poll."

I had hoped by my careful use of the language above (plus smilies) to demonstrate that I by no means consider a Poll like this, or even this Board in general, to be a comprehensive and accurate reflection of the views of all fans of GAA.

Nor will I take it personally that none of the other posters on this Board felt inclined to contribute to the debate along the lines of: "Perhaps Evil Genius has a point", or "I'd never thought about it in that way", or even "I think he's talking crap, but we might respect his right to hold such an opinion".

But as I've said before, just as GAA appears to feel it can happily live without the interest of one million Irish people, I've no doubt those same one million Irish can happily live without GAA, sad though both such conclusions may be for what they denote.

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fionntamhnach

Hate's a strong word. I always prefer dislike. For the info I voted "none of the above", even though T****reagh are hard to listen to.

dubnut

" just as GAA appears to feel it can happily live without the interest of one million Irish people"

Funny I thought there was a few up North playing Gaelic football and hurling, thanks for clarifying otherwise  ::)

rosnarun

in reality though i know its wrong it has to be the ref whens the last time you scream you wanted to kill some one and meant it at the time except at a referee whereas we hust pity Knockmore who havent even won a allireland club championship
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere