emerging talent in 2007

Started by gaafan123, December 03, 2006, 12:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 05, 2006, 09:00:51 AM
I know your love of all things Kernan knows no bounds but Paul is definitely a potential.  He played a significant role in the minor team that beat Down a few years ago and will only get better as he is playing weekly with good players.  Maybe not this year but in the next few years he should make the breakthrough.  If Tony can stay free of injury he will also be a contender.  Also in Cross Brendan(Skinny) McKeown is pushing hard.  He is 23/24 and is very well thought of.  He would have been more regular in the Cross team over the last few years but for his fouling.  He seems to have curbed that and if coached right could be a very good player.
I don't think I've ever been overly critical of the Kernans, and I've even stood up for Aaron a few times.  Paul and Tony may have county potential but so have a lot of other young players in the county, and at least 2 in my own club, but who do we think is going to be callled up to the county panel to be given chance after chance after chance?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Imposerous

Trueblue - I understand your call for caution.  And of course, young lads should not be rushed into senior county squads - if they re not good enough.
From what I've seen of young McKenna (in my opinion he has the most potential of Cross's burgeoning talent) he could hold his own among Armagh's current midfield options.  I know he is a tall rangy lad who will fill out, but I have already seen him outfield an established county midfielder much earlier this year as well as deliver incisive and visionary passes you'd associate with a player more seasoned. He seems to have improved significantly from his county minor days and next season he could be more than a viable option.  You don't know until he's tested among such company.
Armagh's midfied, for me, was our weakest line last year - apart from the h/f line, of course.  While McGrane and McGeeney coped admirably, often thjis was an aera where we were out run and outfielded.  When we played Derry in the league last year I was horrified to see Johnny McBride give McGrane a 2 yard start in a race for the ball and win pocession uncontested.  McBride is not a noted speed merchant.  McGeeney can't cope with the likes of a D O Se, Nicolas Murphy in terms of clean fetches (few can), but McGeeney lacks vital height for this area. 
The Meath game last year also exposed the paucity of our midfield options.  Swift was replaced and Loughran fared not much better.  Mackin works hard, but may lack just that little bit of class (although in the fist McKenna Cup game last year he was running the show).
If McKenna's good enough he's worth trying.  We lack a that bit of class in the middle of the field and I feel if Armagh are to have a shot at any success next year it is vital that we have the best of the new bunch playing with the best of the old bunch who are still the best in their positions.  Anyways, he'll not be cnsidered until after 17 March (hopefully), and perhaps the two (again, hopefully) AI club games will show if he has that bit of class I suspect he has.

Uladh

Absolutely ridiculous mentioning players who haven't made their club team yet as senior county material, irrespective of the standard of the club team in question.

would it not be more in line for these lads to try and get a place on the county u21 panel, which most of them have yet to do, before turning their heads with nonsense about county football? ffs give them a chance.

for example, young mckenna has great potential, but doesn't start on his cub team and hasn't been on the county u21 panel. nor will he be on the u21 team next year, so that's pleanty of potential in the queue in front of him.

trueblue

uladh i agree wholeheartedly with ure previous comment. but im pretty sure that mc kenna will be on the armagh u21 panel for the coming season as will johhnny hanratty and the 2 kernans. but these lads need a chance to establish themselves a bit with their clubs before putting them onto the armagh senior panel.

i would also agree with pints that their are lots of equally if not better players out their but because their clubs arent playing at the same level as cross these players arent getting the same level of exposure by the media.so i think that this should be considered by joe when picking his panel for the forthcoming year

underdog

trueblue i agree wit 100% how is alot of the talent in the likes of division 3 an 4 meant 2 get a chance, its a joke really.

lurganblue

Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 05, 2006, 02:40:39 PM
Sorry for butting in, but Paddy Curran and Tommy Walsh and maybe David Moran from the Kerry minors this year will be closely watched over the next few seasons to see if they can build on their potential.

Now back to the Kernan thread....

tommy walsh was brilliant in the minor final this year. i'd say he'll soon make the step up to senior (totally based on that one performce  ;) )

Imposerous

Uladh - Is it really "absolutely ridiculous" to suggest that someone who is no longer a minor be drafted into the senior panel.  Look at the impact Ronan Clarke made giving a legend of the game the runaround in the AI final.  I honestly believe it is rubbish to say that you must be established here or there or have this much experience blah blah. 
If any lad is good enough now (and if he's better than what is available) then he's good enough.  I only mentioned McKenna of the Cross youngsters who in my opinion could be considered next year (after minor) among all the emerging talent of the last number of years to make that automatic step-up. I'm not saying the others are not good enough nor that they won't be.  I feel they are players that may need that bit more time.
McKenna has improved, enough to be considered in senior company.  I think Armagh have not tried to inject real youth (perhaps they are not at the required standard yet) into the team. 
Perhaps it is too early for him. Perhaps.  But a run out among players (county midfielders) I have already seen him outplay, to me at least, does not seem fanciful to suggest he be tried at this level.  Then again, I may have not seen enough of him to be sure he's worth a call-up at this stage.

Uladh

Ronan Clarke was a prodigious talent as an intercounty minor and colleges star.

Ronan Clarke has started on his club team since he was 16/17.

Ronan Clarke was a leading light on the county u21 team at 17 and 18 before he played for armagh in the championship.

Ronan Clarke spent a full year on the county panel before he got a game.

Young McKenna is none of things but this doesn't preclude him from being a county panellist or better in the years ahead.

Get a bit of sense.

dubnut

Bernard Brogan, brother of Alan.
The brothers will rip up defences next year.
I hope.

charlie stubbs

trueblue

Quote from: charlie stubbs on December 06, 2006, 01:53:59 PM
daithi mckeown clontiberet?

dathai is a real workhorse of a player but its doubtful if hes up to county standard.hes still got another year at u21 level for monaghan so that may bring him on abit aswell

charlie stubbs

iv saw him play he can fetch a ball

charlie stubbs

trueblue

i know dathai personally and played with him at college i dont tink hed have the committment for the county football,he likes his beer the same boyo :D :D

that mc kenna chaps still u21 isnt he? we played the harps a couple weeks ago in a challenge game and i think i was marking that lad,does he play a wing back? hes a fast and fit sorta player but he wouldnt be particularly strong if its the boy am thinking of

Maximus Marillius

Tommy Walsh, did he play midfield for Kerry minors, what a brute for a minor. Is he Sean Walsh's son, physically very similar