UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: john mcgill on August 02, 2007, 10:11:08 PM
The Ulster Council has a leadership role to play in this.  Perhaps one of the many paid employees who lurk here could bring it to Danny Murphy's attention.

Danny Murphy made a statement about it last night. It's on the back page of today's Irish News.
Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

Quote from: ziggysego on August 02, 2007, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: john mcgill on August 02, 2007, 10:11:08 PM
The Ulster Council has a leadership role to play in this.  Perhaps one of the many paid employees who lurk here could bring it to Danny Murphy's attention.

Danny Murphy made a statement about it last night. It's on the back page of today's Irish News.

Seen that but must say it was a pretty pathetic statement, very weak words. Should have got laid into the bigoted pricks. This issue needs to be adressed, its an ongoing joke and nobody says f**k all about it

Pangurban

While i agree that these two organisation are a total disgrace, and there failure to provide even a minimum acceptable level of coverage of Gaelic games is an indictment of their claim  to be audience focused,is R.T.E. any better. For a so called National Broadcasting Organisation, to be unable to provide a service which covers 32 counties, or to even assert their right to do so is just as insulting to Northern Gaels

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Pangurban while a good point, it is getting away from the point of this thread. For us to have any sway with the two 6 counties broadcasters we have to write to them or send signed copies of a prepared letter which could be posted here with the two addresses (for youse lazy ones out there!).
Tbc....

Tankie

Should you boys not first check to see if they are correct when they say that people are not watching it? i watched that championship once or twice and thought it was shite, the one UTV used to do wasnt to bad tho.
Grand Slam Saturday!

orangeman

Adrian Logan is a real GAA man and would have total coverage but his hands are tied - I know that he has had a lot of arguments and bitter arguments with them in relation to this issue. Same with the BBC men - Sidebottom etc.

offtheground

I know its a dangerous road to embark on, as GAA coverage should be available to all and sundry, but Its my opinion that the GAA should have its own TV channel. It would easily attract huge interest & revenue from an advertising point of view, and since it already owns the rights, wouldn't have to pay for the footage. Not sure if it would be viable as a free to air, and i def don't want to go down the road of pay per view. but I'd def be interested if it was available for a reasonable subscription.  I'm currently paying for Setanta at £10 / month, which i got in for the league, and isn't much use to me at this time of year.
Obviously they've no experience in this sort of thing, but surely this could be a viable business if the correct team of heads was put together.
It wouldn't have to broadcast 24-7, but shouldn't be too difficult to sustain all year round by the time they'd covered all the national competitions.

Any thoughts??

orangeman

I think it would cost too much for the GAA to have it's own channel - as well as that, it would become boring and bereft of content after a while - there's only so many times you can show reruns etc.

thejuice

well it could change into the shopping channel during the dark hours when no-one with a life is watching. The NFL hs thier own network which is very successful but it helps that its a professional organisation and the platers are almost readily available for interview unlike GAA stars who would probably be unavailable during work hours
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Donagh

If you want to know know BBCNI's GAA coverage compares with that of other sports you can put in a 'Freedom of Information' request. I put one in recently and got a reply saying they'd get back to me within 20 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/

full back

That will be interesting Donagh, let us know the results

Spiritof98

Quote from: orangeman on August 03, 2007, 10:23:27 AM
Adrian Logan is a real GAA man and would have total coverage but his hands are tied - I know that he has had a lot of arguments and bitter arguments with them in relation to this issue. Same with the BBC men - Sidebottom etc.

If logies trying to fight for more coverage then it is up to us to bombard the two organisations with requests for more GAA thus giving him the amunition in the boardroom, surely if there was a sustained campaign of protest (fair and peaceful ;) ) at the lack of 
GAA he would be able to make in roads with sponsers etc.

On that point could Bank of Ireland and Guinness, the two main GAA sponsers hold any sway, regarding whats on when advertising at peak times.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

orangeman

We should get a petition going and hand it over to the Minister for Sport both in the Republic and the North - we're paying TV licences to get Linfield and Norn Iron, hockey and rugby wall to wall, so we should have some recourse -

bloody mary

Name me one gaa fan in the corridors of power in either bbc or utv?
while we're at it, name me the bbc sports boss and which part of ballymena he is from..
it's the stephen watson show there, sure he does whatever he wants and that's never gaelic
as the first post here stated, the bbc news on monday was all from the kids soccer tournament and then a quick report on the gaelic
remember watson in january declaring that ricey would get 3 months for being sent off in the dublin game under lights?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: wobbller on August 02, 2007, 07:27:29 PM
  The war may be over in political terms but the inbuilt bigotry is continuing and in fact it's increasing.MLA's should be the first port of call but I they are off on their "teacher length" holdays at present but sure they are elected for another while now and will do nothing to canvass support until the next election. The Irish News should up the campaign they had earlier in the season and invite fat Nolan to reply instead of showing up at some Club in the midle of Tyrone to try out Gaa--go try something that is new like the rubbish that UTV showed earlier--WAKEBOARDING.
I think its the opposite

the BBC in England HQ along with UTV chiefs have realised that as part of an overall All Ireland sports coverage package, GAA is going to be left to be covered by RTE who are the experts on this.
So no point in wasting money with the TV station they will be liasing with and merging with in a couple of years time!
:)