2006 All Stars

Started by Spiritof98, November 22, 2006, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

Fair play to Barry Owens. A Fermanagh man with 2 All Stars is some achievement.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Spiritof98

Fair play to him but Clarkie roasted him in Clones this year
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Bud Wiser

No All-Star for Laois.  Kerry get six.

Mayo4Sam

Fair play to barry owens is right, class act
Congrats to mort and dillon, both deserved it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

dubnut

"No All-Star for Laois.  Kerry get six"

Seems reasonable all things considered.

aontroim abu

Kerry tops with six Vodafone GAA All-stars

Wednesday, November 22

All-Ireland champions Kerry have come out on top with six players honoured on the 2006 Vodafone GAA All-Stars football selection.

Compared to the record low of just three counties being represented on last year's selection, this time there are players from seven different counties on the team, with two from Mayo, Dublin and Cork while Fermanagh, Donegal and Armagh have one each.

The six Kingdom players are Marc O Se, Seamus Moynihan, Aidan O'Mahony, Darragh O Se, Paul Galvin and Kieran Donaghy.

It is the third All-star award for both Darragh O Se and Seamus Moynihan of Kerry while ten players, Marc O Se, Karl Lacey, Ger Spillane, Aidan O'Nahony, Nicholas Murphy, Alan Brogan, Alan Dillon, Conor Mortimor, Kieran Donaghy and Ronan Clarke are honoured for the first time.

The team was selected by a panel of journalists and the hurling team will be announced at a banquet at the City West Hotel on Friday night, along with the players of the year in both codes.

2006 Vodafone GAA Football All-Stars:

S Cluxton (Dublin); M O Se (Kerry), B Owens (Fermanagh), K Lacey (Donegal); S Moynihan (Kerry), G Spillane (Cork), A O'Mahony (Kerry); D O Se (Kerry), N Murphy (Cork); P Galvin (Kerry), A Brogan (Dublin), A Dillon (Mayo); C Mortimer (Mayo), K Donaghy (Kerry), R Clarke (Armagh

FermPundit

I was a bit surprised that he got an All Star but bar the Armagh game he was very consistent in every other game. Do the panel take into consideration National league form when naming the All Stars or is it simply based on championship performances?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

brokencrossbar1

Seems fair enough.  Cluxton/Quirke was a toss up as was Spillane/Cullen.  With no really outstanding FB displays by anyone else Owens desrves his.  Fair play to Karol Lacey.  Mortimor may have lost out on the back of a poor Final but there was no real challenger so he held on.  

Bud do you think Laois deserved any?

Jack Dempsey

only players unlucky imo are McDonald, Masters, Cullen, T O'Sullivan & McCarthy ( not even a nomination ). only 15 can be picked though. no real arguements from me

umgolaarmagh

I thought Bellew might have got the Fullback position, Only seen Owens play once and that was against Armagh and he was cleaned on the day by Clarke and was guilty of constant fouling. He must have improved in the next game or 2 to justify the award

magpie seanie

Sure wasn't Bellew fecked outta the way like a little boy by Donaghy

dubnut

"I thought Bellew might have got the Fullback position"
::)

umgolaarmagh

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 22, 2006, 04:27:42 PM
Sure wasn't Bellew fecked outta the way like a little boy by Donaghy

Wasnt Owens fecked outta the way like a little boy by Clarke in the ulster Championship  :P

dubnut

In fairness I dont think anyone outside of Armagh (and few within) believe Bellew deserved an all star this year!

Jack Dempsey

McCarthy from Kerry was the best full back in Ireland again this year. Canty was unlucky with injury. McCarthy has a few dodgy minutes against armagh but battle back in the 2nd half of that game. I remember Kerry leaving 2 on 2 at the back. Gutsy stuff.