Waterford v Kerry Munster SFC

Started by Kerry Mike, May 29, 2007, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Fair enough darbyo. I won't labour the point anymore. I hope Waterford do themselves justice, and I agree that it is a bit of a bonus for the lesser lights to get their game on TV.

I hope I am wrong about the competitiveness of the game, but I genuinely feel that if Waterford come within 10 points, it is because Kerry will be coasting along in 2nd gear.

Hope I am wrong though.

Also re 'clashes with other more attractive games', well that's the decision for the GAA and RTE to make. Is the purpose of televising the games solely about showing the big games, or is there an aim of advancing other counties as well?

The likes of Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Galway and Mayo will have loads of TV appearances by the end of the summer. I know people would want to watch those teams as well, but it's a balancing act I think.

Billys Boots

QuoteFair enough AZ and I do agree with all your points but your dismissing Waterfords ability to even make the game semi competitive which I think is a bit harsh.

He can't help himself darbyo, he's been knobbled by the Dromid mafia.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Uladh

I see Quill has shot himself in the foot by playing for the club at the weekend. maybe he saw the annual championship dropping on the cards coming from o'shea anyway and just decided to play away?

Kerry Mike

Kerry Team Announced:

Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
Pádraig Reidy (Scartaglin), Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore), Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht);
Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore), Killian Young (Renard);
Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Micheal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahillys);
Declan O'Sullivan (Capt) (Dromid Pearses), Eoin Brosnan (Dr. Crokes), Paul Galvin (Finuge);
Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes), Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks), Mike Frank Russell (Laune Rangers)

Subs:
Kieran Cremin (Dr. Crokes), Seamus Scanlon (Currow), Sean O'Sullivan (Cromane), Mossie Lyons (Castleisland Desmonds), Darren O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar), Declan Quill (Kerins O'Rahillys), Bryan Sheehan (St. Marys), Daniel Bohane (Austin Stacks), Paul O'Connor (Kenmare), Rónan Ó Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht), Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes), Tommy Griffin (Dingle), Ronan Hussey (Sneem), Donncha Walsh (Cromane), Daniel Doyle (Churchill)

From my earlier guess just 2 changes, Michael Quirke in for Tommy Griffin at Midfield and Declan O'Sullivan for Bryan Sheehan at wing forward. Declan also regains the South Kerry held captaincy.

Strong looking line up and a full panel of subs to pick from too.

Championship starts in the backs for the first time for Padraig Reidy and Killian Young while Tome O'Sullivan gets the chance to nail down the full back spot.

Quirke starting is a surprise but Griffin has ony returned from injury so will be interested to see how big Quirke gets on, He can swap woth Donaghy at full forward too so thats an extra option. Donaghy is playing his first game since putting out his shoulder so will see if he hits the ground running. Pat O'Shea says he still has room to improve from last year so thats good news for the Kingdom!!!!

After all the chopping and changing up front during the league its back to an experienced looking 6.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

armaghniac

QuotePat O'Shea says he still has room to improve from last year so thats good news for the Kingdom!!!!

Waterford have far more room for improvement than Kerry!! Can either improve though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

QuoteDeclan O'Sullivan (Capt) (Dromid Pearses),

Wow. Big comeback from Dec. Some honour if he is to be Kerry captain for 3 years in a row. Can't remember the last time that would have happened.

Kerry Mike

AZ I'd say its a first for a Kerryman and I'd say there will be no Crokes man being nominated as vice captain after the goings on last year.

More importantly I hope Declan continues where he left off in the final last year, he had a poor munster championship last year which put him under savage pressure, thankfully it worked out in the end.

Will soon see if he has the hunger after spending the winter in Oz.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

Wasting my time by bumping this up, but some of us have to keep the flag flying for the Munster Championship.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

KM, will you be going to the Dromid Pearse's racenight on Saturday night?

SuperDooperCooper

Can hardly blame RTE for scheduling this one - they thought Clare would win the last day and we would be subjected to a week of Paidi v Kerry.
Would have drawn a crowd to see what his reaction would have been. Waterford scuppered these plans.
The game being on telly suits me as I'm off to a wedding up the country but in all honesty the game should not be on, complete mismatches should be avoided. Kilkenny v Offaly in hurling as already mentioned. Galway v Leitrim ditto.
Kerry by 8+, we rarely flake teams (save Cork/Mayo) but will win with a bit to spare.
Only interest thing will be how Mike Quirke fares in midfield, I had expected to see Seamus Scanlon getting the nod but instead it's a big chance for Quirke.
I have my doubts about his mobility and kick passing for intercounty football but hopefully I will be proved wrong.
It's a big year for Declan O'Sullivan, he will not get the same latitude from management this year with Sean O'Sullivan breathing down his neck. Declan was a free scoring player with both Kerry minors and Colaiste Na Sceillge but now his role seems to be that of ball carrier which in my mind is a shame 'cos he could score.
Killian Young is the real deal a future Kerry full back not sure about him at wing back but great to see him on.
Padraig Reidy has been on the panel for three years so it's good to see him making the breakthrough too.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2007, 05:01:02 PM
why is this on TV???

This is like televising a public execution.

I know Longford are of alot higher standard, but many people thought the same about them against Kerry last year. I won a few quid on Waterford against Clare, if you could get a handicap bet of 5 points it might be worth a shot. Maybe Kerry might try and use the game as preperation for Cork or later the likes of Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal, Galway, Armagh, Meath, Mayo etc. If Waterford can get an early goal or two and catch Kerry in their early season complacancy they might pull it off, but I doubht it, even if they create the shock of shocks I would still fancy Kerry to be lifting Sam in September.

imtommygunn

Interesting Kerry lineup.

If I were Declan Quill I'd be a bit peeved. Every year come championship he's bench warming and he'd make nearly any other county team in the land! Has he ever started a c'ship game?

Is Quirke the big basketballer fella? Is he not a bit heavy for midfield - would he have the legs for a full seventy there?

Bryan Sheehan is another boy who could perhaps struggle to make the breakthrough too.

Good to see Declan O'Sullivan on the team too. He's a good footballer and showed some good character getting back from the dead last year to have a good AIF.

Mossy Lyons played the whole league too did he not? Would guess him and Quill particularly wouldn't be too happy about bench warming.

Stranworst

I would have Sheehan starting definitely. Mianly because I have twenty quid on him to be the top scorer in the championship! Thought he would start and his free taking would push him on for me!

joemamas

dont know whats worse , watching the game or listening to canning.

At lease he wont be doing Dublin V Meath

Elias