Kerry's crown under pressure?

Started by From the Bunker, February 12, 2019, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 19, 2019, 07:06:55 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2019, 12:10:18 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on February 15, 2019, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: weareros on February 14, 2019, 02:12:09 PM
At the end of the day, you ask the likes of Mike Sheehy how many All-Irelands he won and he can show you 8, same for a lot of the rest of that great Kerry team. They also won the majority (exception 1980) of those All-Irelands in style, whereas Dublin scraped past the post. 5 in a row won't make Dublin a greater team.

Jesus, the ignorance - ask the likes of Cluxton, O'Sullivan and McCarthy how many do they have and they will say six and gunning for seven. Huge difference, eh?
The vital difference, my erudite friend, is that Kerry played on a level pitch with every other county.
They didn't have the benefits of state of the art physical training or sports psychology either. Come to think of it, they didn't have the combined total of 16 other counties to choose from either and more importantly perhaps, the national resources of 50% of it s resources either. (BTW, Simon Coveney said that first, not me.)
I am not being anti-Dublin for the sake of it when I say this.
But I defer to the judgement of Mick O'Dwyer on the subject. (Well, he would say this, wouldn't he?)
According to Micko, the greatest team of all time should compete on equal terms with at least one other side. Kerry beat the socks off all comers during their reign and Dublin...?
What about Mayo? With roughly one tenth of Dublin's population and with tremendous travelling issues, they did remarkably well , didn't they?
So, Dublin may well pull clear of all others in this years championships and all along the route to it and that would mean at least two years clear of the rest. I would be willing to consider them to be the best then but I will wait until and, more importantly, if, that should happen. until then, I'll not commit myself to anything.

I would argue they werent really on a level playing field with every other county. Certainly not in terms of games to win the all Ireland. 4 games could have seen them win an all Ireland. 4 games to win Ulster if you were in the prelim round
Sorry, I just spotted this now.
I don't check in on a regular basis.
You are right of course; Kerry had to play fewer games to get to an AI final than Dublin does at the present time.
But I wasn't really referring to the quality of the opposition each team has had to face along their respective routes to the final each year.
I mean Kerry didn't have more money or player numbers than a good number of other counties back in the 70s/80s.
Cork immediately comes to mind. Back then (and probably now) Cork and the greatest number of clubs in the country and, Dublin apart, they had fewer problems in organising collective training sessions.
(That's according to the inimitable Mr. Spillane anyway)
I'm saying Kerry had only the sheer quality of the players to set them apart from all contenders.
On the other hand, Dublin has more of every other thing that it takes to set them in a class apart- if you can follow me here. That's not to say that Dublin aren't a truly exceptional side and, right now, I can't see any other side denying them the historic fifth title.
But you have to remember that Mayo, with only a fraction of all conceivable assets, made them fight all the way whenever they met from 2013 until 2017.
IMO, a generous dollop of good luck and, more importantly, a far stronger subs' bench separated the sides during that period.
I've no doubt that Dublin will become the best side ever but I still agree with Micko on this one. I'll wait until this September at the very earliest before I change my mind.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Looks like Peter Crowley has done his cruciate, thats a blow to Kerry considering their lack of defensive options.

dublin7

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/henry-shefflin-says-dublin-will-feel-the-heat-of-five-in-a-row-1.3870488

"I think once it gets to the end, when we get to August or the end of July with the football, that's when the real heat will come on, and that's when it does come into your mind," says Shefflin.
"Up to now it's there, it's in the ether. But I think once you get to the semi-final stage then players' minds come into focus more that that is there. It'll be interesting to see how they manage it."
After losing that 2010 All-Ireland, Shefflin came back to win another three titles with Kilkenny, bringing his tally to a record 10; last March he made it All-Ireland number 14, managing his club Ballyhale Shamrocks to the title he had also won three times as a player.
He suggests part of the challenge for Dublin and Jim Gavin is balancing the motivation with the expectation. "It was a huge motivation for me, definitely," adds Shefflin, speaking in Croke Park at the launch of the Bank of Ireland Celtic Challenge.
"Sure I tried to play [the 2010 final] with no cruciate, and that wasn't a very smart move. Dublin will take it one game at a time, but that's my point. At the early stages it's one game in a row, but then I think once you get to that intensity, and you can see the grandstand finish coming up, that's when it comes more into focus.
"It's about the panel of players as well, and the development of that panel of players is very important. That's the reason we were successful with the club, we had that bit of youth who brought that bit of freshness and enthusiasm to the older players as well, so we got that balance right.
Sometimes when you are going on a successful run you can stay with what you're doing, and it can get a bit stale and that's when you get found out."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

kerryforsam19

1-9 to 0-3. Hopefully cork will put up some fight in Munster final.

grassHarrow

1.15 to 0.12 final score. Clare dominate most of 2nd half which left a few Kerry lads scratching their heads. 1 Red + 2 Black + a good few yellow.
TOS pulled hamstring in the last few minutes and couldn't be replaced which will add to their walking wounded.
Attendance 5.3K but more like 6.5+K.
Both stands full.