Westmeath v Armagh - Cusack Park, Sat 9th June (7:00pm throw in)

Started by illdecide, June 04, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 07, 2018, 10:47:50 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 07, 2018, 07:04:36 PM
Again I haven't mentioned or alluded to any difference in the current and previous armagh fan's forum. Don't let that stop you imagining what it is I'm thinking and reacting to your own imagination. Your reasons are your own I suppose.

I point out that there is a lot of drivel on there. If you disagree with that just say and I will post the examples that back my case.

Separately I point out that some of the content focusses on imagined slights, campaigns, wars, prejudices, vendettas, persecutions etc. Again disagree if you will.

I contend that focussing on these imagined issues can be unhelpful. Disagree if you will?

I have made up my mind on what I've seen. Post something different and I might change my mind. That is how these things work I guess?

Or you could imagine my thoughts and post them?

I contend that your two separate points are very much related. Content focusing on imagined slights, campaigns, wars, prejudices, vendettas, persecutions etc. could be considered by some of the less charitable amongst us to be 'drivel'. Others may refer to it as humour, albeit not that particularly funny. I reckon at least three of us have pointed that 'humour' aspect out, on this thread.

Either way, it's not to be taken too seriously. I guess that's how I see it working! 

And to clarify, I linked it to McGeeney because it was the only plausible reason I could fathom for you raising such an issue on this thread. Happy to accept that I'm wrong, if now that I'm totally baffled at your line of reasoning.

Chill.

contend what you like. Your evidence seems to be your own inability to think of an alternative. Imaginative style but somewhat less that convincing.

Re-read the thread. The first poster to link the "drivel" to "humour" is me. Surely you noticed that?

I point out some nonsense on another forum. I'm still not sure why you have a problem with that?

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 07, 2018, 10:42:08 PM
Why don't you sign up and contribute on that forum instead of talking about it here

That is a fairer point.

The quality of debate is better here. Most of my debate over the years has been on the non GAA section. I'm an infrequent poster. The little time I spent on here I focussed on pointing out the poison of one particular poster who has now (in my view wrongly) been banned permanently. I always enjoyed that debate and fired out some thoughts here on nonsense posted elsewhere. It's hardly a big deal. Or so I thought

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: smelmoth on June 08, 2018, 08:46:56 PM
Chill. contend what you like. Your evidence seems to be your own inability to think of an alternative. Imaginative style but somewhat less that convincing.

Re-read the thread. The first poster to link the "drivel" to "humour" is me. Surely you noticed that?

I point out some nonsense on another forum. I'm still not sure why you have a problem with that?

Please try and keep up. Please.

You did indeed link the drivel, or as you also called it 'shite', to the humour. I have been trying to emphasise that it is nothing to get worked up about. Why say that to you? Well, because you said,

Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2018, 10:50:49 PM
Reading on the Armagh forum in recent days I notice 2 worrying themes.

That has been my underlying point - it is HUMOUR - it is not to be taken too seriously!! It is not in the least bit worrying.

Take the time to reflect on it, and hopefully in doing so you will see the irony of asking someone to chill, whilst you yourself get worked up on something so innocent.

By all means have the last word on the matter - I sense from your vaguely familiar debating technique that you will not go quietly.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2018, 11:16:21 AM
It's the mediocre years that make the winning, when it eventually comes along, so worthwhile.

100%. Our low point, since the dark days of the late sixties and early seventies, was probably our utter capitulation to Derry in the Athletic Grounds in 1995. An All Ireland Senior Title within seven years would have seemed inconceivable at that time.

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on June 08, 2018, 08:52:25 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 07, 2018, 10:42:08 PM
Why don't you sign up and contribute on that forum instead of talking about it here

That is a fairer point.

The quality of debate is better here. Most of my debate over the years has been on the non GAA section. I'm an infrequent poster. The little time I spent on here I focussed on pointing out the poison of one particular poster who has now (in my view wrongly) been banned permanently. I always enjoyed that debate and fired out some thoughts here on nonsense posted elsewhere. It's hardly a big deal. Or so I thought

I enjoy your posts. I don't always agree with them mind you. I think you'd be better placed commenting there than complaining here tho

Owen Brannigan

illdecide

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 08, 2018, 11:40:23 PM
Armagh Team as named officially:

Ohh boy... Not overly happy with that but I suppose we have to give them a chance. TBH I don't care who WM have missing because their replacements don't have to be very good.. 50/50
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

macdanger2

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 08, 2018, 11:36:07 AM
Thanks illdecide, augers well when the hand wringing starts before the match. Heslin won't be playing, can't even train.

Who's Boidu Sayeh or what's his heritage? Good to see some new blood in the GAA

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 09, 2018, 12:35:12 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 08, 2018, 11:36:07 AM
Thanks illdecide, augers well when the hand wringing starts before the match. Heslin won't be playing, can't even train.

Who's Boidu Sayeh or what's his heritage? Good to see some new blood in the GAA

He played in the league game, back willing to go forward.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 08, 2018, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2018, 11:16:21 AM
It's the mediocre years that make the winning, when it eventually comes along, so worthwhile.

100%. Our low point, since the dark days of the late sixties and early seventies, was probably our utter capitulation to Derry in the Athletic Grounds in 1995. An All Ireland Senior Title within seven years would have seemed inconceivable at that time.

Also , having people in the county with celtic crosses will make a difference the next time a good team emerges.
Driving past a house in your own county where someone won an All Ireland is really important psychologically . Young players know it can be done  Winners are inspired by winners. And photos. And homecoming videos.

The Follower used to write in the Donegal Democrat. One of his lines was "they will be remembered by their people"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Orchard park

Cormac Mcgill was the follower, father of croker head honcho Fergal

seafoid

Quote from: Orchard park on June 09, 2018, 09:13:10 AM
Cormac Mcgill was the follower, father of croker head honcho Fergal
I don't think he lived to see the 2012 all Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Can't believe Westmeath are 3/1 to win this match at home. Armagh stole a victory in Mullingar last year and this years side is considerably weaker no matter how many injuries Westmeath have at present.

shark

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2018, 02:31:20 PM
Can't believe Westmeath are 3/1 to win this match at home. Armagh stole a victory in Mullingar last year and this years side is considerably weaker no matter how many injuries Westmeath have at present.

I don't think you realise how depleted (for various reasons)  Westmeath are. Heslin, Sharry, Maguire, Killian Daly, Dolan, Boyle are 6 of their most important players. The depth isn't there. Armagh will win with quite a bit to spare.

armaghniac

I think Armagh might have a dead cat bounce and win this one.
Let's hope the big showers stay away.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B