Ladies football

Started by ExiledGael, May 07, 2007, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay in to watch ladies football?

Yes
65 (52%)
No
60 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 123

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 27, 2016, 11:31:22 PM
People are refuting your unproven, unsupported claims which wasn't that they simply don't train as hard as the men by the way.
Sure you could argue any opinions are unproven.

Your extremely hostile reactions to any criticism of the women's game are unproven and unsupported.

However I fail to to see how anybody could have watched that game on Sunday and thought the skill and fitness levels were good.

I know elite sport when I see it and that was not elite sport.

Zulu

I was hostile, if you can even say that, to your ridiculous comparisons to Olympic/professional sports and the men's code.

Questioning their fitness levels is just daft and I actually know a thing or two about that so I know your wrong. And while there are improvements to be made in skill levels you are also wrong about the level it's at. Saying the players can't solo is simply a false statement.

Brick Tamlin

Lets be honest. Ladies Women's football is a bag of shite.
The games are brutal, the mastery of skills isn't great and there is always a hefty girl in nets who lets a bagful of goals in.
It doesn't come near to the male version, even at underage. It just doesn't look right either.

If they really want equality and all that goes with it then let them play with a size 5 and implement the proper rules.
We live in a PC mad world and im inclined to agree with the previous comments about patronising the participants with flowery comments.

rosnarun

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 28, 2016, 10:38:20 AM
Lets be honest. Ladies Women's football is a bag of shite.
The games are brutal, the mastery of skills isn't great and there is always a hefty girl in nets who lets a bagful of goals in.
It doesn't come near to the male version, even at underage. It just doesn't look right either.

If they really want equality and all that goes with it then let them play with a size 5 and implement the proper rules.
We live in a PC mad world and im inclined to agree with the previous comments about patronising the participants with flowery comments.

thats very unfair ladies football is in a massive growth spurt and is improving all the time,  the final was a poor game from the point of view of scoring but weve all seen that in mens games too. after all Dublin just dint not score for themselves untill the 30th min in the mens final.
the point controversy was a shame but again rows over points is very much part of the men's game too, even this year .
your point about a size 5 is just petty women are smaller than me so it just makes sense to use a smaller ball. why make life hard for every one when you can make your own rules that suit your own members. which is the reason LGFA stay separate from the GAA.
Their real enemy is Camogie

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Brick Tamlin

why cant they pick up the ball the same way the men do?

Zulu

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 28, 2016, 11:20:29 AM

Are you just talking shite for the sake of it?

There's a reasonable discussion to be had about ladies football and female sports in general but the majority of contributions criticising ladies football here are utter nonsense and bit like the orange headed buffon across the Atlantic they are justifying their nonsense by claiming they are calling at it is and not bowing to a PC agenda.

Brick Tamlin

Ok so let have a reasonable discussion about ladies football.
Can you answer my previous question.

Zulu

Oh right, I thought that was a wind up. I coach our U12 girls the proper pick up primarily because it is a very good skill for developing athletic ability and balance. They are all well able to do it after practicing like the boys. The reason they don't implement it in the ladies game is because, like we've discussed in the men's game, it may not be a skill that adds to the game. I actually think there's plenty of merit in removing the pick up from the men's game to speed it up and remove a decision for referees that can be difficult to implement correctly all the time. Wasn't there doubts over a Bastick pick up in the All Ireland final?

So, basically the girls are well able to perform the pick up but those formulating the rules decided the pick up wasn't a skill they wanted to transfer. As odd a thing to focus on as using a size 5 ball I'd have thought.

Brick Tamlin

And why isn't the size 5 ball used either?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 28, 2016, 11:20:29 AM

Aways thought it had to do with ladies having breasts and their obscured vision of the ball at foot because of this?

shark

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 28, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

For the same reason a size 5 ball isn't used by u14 boys. My girlfriend is a former intercounty footballer. Her feet are size 3. Her hands are also tiny. A size 5 ball would make no sense.

Zulu

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 28, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

Same reason we don't use it for U8, 10, 12 and 14 boys. Am I missing something or are you genuinely criticising ladies football because they don't use the men's pick up and size 5?

Jinxy

While I disagree fundamentally with the premise of the post that set this all off, I do agree that womens' sports are handled with a 'kid-gloves' approach by the media and public in general.
There was uproar about the absence of Hawkeye when people assumed that the GAA were to blame.
That largely dissipated when they were informed it was the LGFA's decision.
Certain vested interests were only dying for there to be some kind of discrimination angle involved.
The LGFA should be getting both barrels from the media, instead I've heard some people claiming that the GAA should have paid for Hawkeye for them.
There are some excellent female journalists however, such as Sinéad O'Carroll, who aren't afraid to point out the failings in womens' sports.
Plays camogie for Kildare herself and is adamant that the camogie and ladies football associations should be brought under the GAA banner.
She has said that resistance to that is only coming from one direction, and that is the people currently in charge of camogie and ladies football.

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/780439425834778624
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shark

Quote from: Jinxy on September 28, 2016, 12:13:20 PM
While I disagree fundamentally with the premise of the post that set this all off, I do agree that womens' sports are handled with a 'kid-gloves' approach by the media and public in general.
There was uproar about the absence of Hawkeye when people assumed that the GAA were to blame.
That largely dissipated when they were informed it was the LGFA's decision.
Certain vested interests were only dying for there to be some kind of discrimination angle involved.
The LGFA should be getting both barrels from the media, instead I've heard some people claiming that the GAA should have paid for Hawkeye for them.
There are some excellent female journalists however, such as Sinéad O'Carroll, who aren't afraid to point out the failings in womens' sports.
Plays camogie for Kildare herself and is adamant that the camogie and ladies football associations should be brought under the GAA banner.
She has said that resistance to that is only coming from one direction, and that is the people currently in charge of camogie and ladies football.

And the vast majority of Ladies Footballers have the same point of view. Certainly from my experience. These are administrative issues tho, dealt with by non-footballers. Nothing to do with the skill and fitness of the players involved, which is improving all the time.

Zulu

Jinxy, there has been a fair amount of criticism on the Dublin's footballers score taking and the LGFA's use of Hawkeye so I'm not sure I agree. I think GAA coverage in general gets a softer ride than some other sports due to the local nature and amateurism of the sports.

The GAA desperately want the ladies to come on board and the fact they don't is entirely down to the female sports administrators. It's disgraceful really when you think that they would collapse in the morning if the GAA didn't support them so to play hardball with the GAA is ridiculous.