Mayo v Kerry (MacHale Park, 13/3/2016, 2.30pm)

Started by moysider, March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Good win for Kerry without our 3 best players, Maher, Moran and JOD. For the first time in a few years we're now safe from relegation with a couple of games to go so should experiment  for the last couple of games tactically and playerwise. Give Brendan O'S a start for one thing.

highorlow

QuoteGive Brendan O'S a start for one thing

Very impressive newcomer.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: blanketattack on March 14, 2016, 11:29:49 AM
Good win for Kerry without our 3 best players, Maher, Moran and JOD. For the first time in a few years we're now safe from relegation with a couple of games to go so should experiment  for the last couple of games tactically and playerwise. Give Brendan O'S a start for one thing.

Six is far from safe when your remaining two matches are against teams on four and who would own a head to head on ye if they win.

blanketattack

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2016, 11:54:22 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on March 14, 2016, 11:29:49 AM

Six is far from safe when your remaining two matches are against teams on four and who would own a head to head on ye if they win.

Kerry would finish level on points with Mayo if Kerry lose both and Mayo win both of final two games. Kerry have a 35 pt advantage if it comes to points difference. Mayo could beat Down by 15 pts but can't see where the other 20 can be made up.

Mayo4Sam

We plan on beating Roscommon by 50, to lay down a marker but mainly out of spite for Kerry

Watch your backs, that's all I'm saying
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

joemamas

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 09:03:23 PM
Quote from: StephenC on March 13, 2016, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 08:31:52 PM
No penalty, no black card?

Aye. This was a crazy decision. I know he got a point from it but it was a blatant penalty and yellow card.

O'Shea scoring a point, took the decision away from the referee and allowed him to bottle two important decisions.

How big of a tool must the umpire feel, not too mention the ref.
Does anybody grade them, If he was that incompetent on such a critical call, penalty and black card, who's to say he wont do the same later in championship.
btw, Kerry probably would still have won.

criostlinn

The standard of refereeing is getting out of hand and at this stage. Some of these lads seem to be just making it up as they go along. From game to game nobody really knows whats a black card is and its now just turning into a lottery.

Systematic fouling is going unpunished but a lad comes in late with a tackle and he may pick up a black.

How Aiden O'Shea didnt get a penalty for this is beyond belief. Ok. He scored a point and it can be debated that a point is better then a penalty because its a score but for the drag down to go unpunished is ridiculous.

Crowley got a black card for dragging O'Shea to the ground in the square and yet nothing else. No penalty, no free. Bring on a sub and get on with.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on March 13, 2016, 11:44:31 PM
Quote from: Ringfort on March 13, 2016, 11:33:27 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 10:18:04 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on March 13, 2016, 10:10:12 PM
The ref was terrible imo and gave a lot of easy frees to Kerry (especially the Gooch).

Cafferkey just had no answer to what the Referee expected from him! Any form of contact on Cooper was blown up. Some of the frees given were embarrassing. Anyway that's what you have to put up with.

I know they are completely different build but I felt the same today watching Ros try to contain Michael Murphy. He got possession and barrelled into contact. Immediate whistle and free in. We have little or no experience playing the marquee names. Is this what you are up against all the time?

In fairness to MM I've seen him take ferocious abuse in the UFC in recent years and I'm sure refs are hyper keen to protect him.

;D

That's very good alright  ;D

Fuzzman

I just watched the highlights last night from RTE and they mentioned how O'Shea seems to always struggle to get frees just because he's so big and strong and refs seems to take this into consideration with an attempt to play the advantage or "let the game flow"

It used to be the same years ago with my club mate Stephen O'Neill where he was often strong enough to ride the tackle even though 2 lads could be hanging out of him.
I do understand refereeing is a difficult job but I think they need to become much more open about it all and not be so defensive about their own performances. A lot of refs seem to be untouchable and not be willing to learn from their mistakes.
Is anyone a ref on the board? Do they have regular meetings and look at incidents with a few to help clarify when someone got it wrong and right.

With the swarm defences nowadays and much more double marking on the star players I think refs need some guidance on what is allowed and what is a free. How many times last year did we see players like M.Murphy and Aidan O'Shea being repeately pulled and man handled but the ref waves play on cos he thinks they are big strong lads with loads of skill so you have to "bend" the rules a bit whereas a smaller less known lad would have got the free for the same tackle.

highorlow

QuoteIs anyone a ref on the board?

Milltownrow2 is yer man.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

JoG2

Quote from: joemamas on March 14, 2016, 01:20:36 PM

Aye. This was a crazy decision. I know he got a point from it but it was a blatant penalty and yellow card.

O'Shea scoring a point, took the decision away from the referee and allowed him to bottle two important decisions.

Does anybody grade them, If he was that incompetent on such a critical call, penalty and black card, who's to say he wont do the same later in championship.

the call has nothing to do with the umpire. if, on the other hand it had happened 'off the ball', the umpire could have brought it to the refs attention.

joemamas

Quote from: JoG2 on March 15, 2016, 02:49:36 PM

the call has nothing to do with the umpire. if, on the other hand it had happened 'off the ball', the umpire could have brought it to the refs attention.

Ok, was not 100% sure and not afraid to admit it.
Just to clarify, The linesman can bring something like a dragdown to refs attention, but the umpire who may be six feet away with a better view cannot.

JoG2

Quote from: joemamas on March 15, 2016, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 15, 2016, 02:49:36 PM

Ok, was not 100% sure and not afraid to admit it.
Just to clarify, The linesman can bring something like a dragdown to refs attention, but the umpire who may be six feet away with a better view cannot.

only the ref makes calls on the actual play ie on the ball activity. Linesmen and umpires can only call off the ball stuff. Both should be given the power to call on the ball play as well to give the ref a hand.

moysider

Donaghy had a big input on the result the last day.
He had a very decent game in general but was involved in 2 big game changing events.
His tackle on Aido prevented a certain goal and his presence later spooked Hennelly into that awful flap that gifted Kerry their second goal and effectively ended the game as a meaningful contest. That's a 5 point swing and the game.

Disappointing to see a very young fan have a go with him as he went to take his seat after second card.

Farrandeelin

I could go and rant and rave about last Sunday, however it's too late now at this stage to get anything off my chest. All I know is that Mayo are in trouble. It's time those players who were the ringleaders of the heave (I know, I know - I shouldn't mention it but I had to) stood up and be counted now. There was no leadership in the second half the last day, from the line or the players themselves. Parsons was about the only one to emerge with credit, as did Caff who stuck to Gooch like glue all day, K Mc did nothing wrong apart from those two stupid frees in the first half.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.