Mayo v Kerry (MacHale Park, 13/3/2016, 2.30pm)

Started by moysider, March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 15, 2016, 09:21:01 PM

Donaghy had a big input on the result the last day.
He had a very decent game in general but was involved in 2 big game changing events.
His tackle on Aido prevented a certain goal and his presence later spooked Hennelly into that awful flap that gifted Kerry their second goal and effectively ended the game as a meaningful contest. That's a 5 point swing and the game.

Disappointing to see a very young fan have a go with him as he went to take his seat after second card.

Feck Donaghy Moy.Gives out his fair share.Spent his time goading Mayo supporters down in Limerick.Spends his time in the refs ear aswell.Brilliant target man but a gobshite

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 15, 2016, 09:57:58 PM

He had a very decent game in general but was involved in 2 big game changing events.
His tackle on Aido prevented a certain goal and his presence later spooked Hennelly into that awful flap that gifted Kerry their second goal and effectively ended the game as a meaningful contest. That's a 5 point swing and the game.

Disappointing to see a very young fan have a go with him as he went to take his seat after second card.

Feck Donaghy Moy.Gives out his fair share.Spent his time goading Mayo supporters down in Limerick.Spends his time in the refs ear aswell.Brilliant target man but a gobshite

I know, I know. I don t like the cut of him either but I'm sure he doesn t give a shite what we think. He won t be running for election up here anytime soon. But yet again he was very effective against us again. It was clear he was willing to take a card for the tackle on Aido if necessary to try and prevent a gaol. As for the second goal. Not the first time Rob has been done when's been around.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 15, 2016, 11:12:10 PM

I know, I know. I don t like the cut of him either but I'm sure he doesn t give a shite what we think. He won t be running for election up here anytime soon. But yet again he was very effective against us again. It was clear he was willing to take a card for the tackle on Aido if necessary to try and prevent a gaol. As for the second goal. Not the first time Rob has been done when's been around.
[/b]

Not just Donaghy that does him.Hennelly is a liability and always has been.Brilliant shot stopper but his kickouts are erratic and he dosent command the square at all.The sooner Clarke is back the better

Rossfan

I'm very disappointed to see only 5 pages on this one.
D'ye not care about the League any more?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 15, 2016, 09:55:18 PM
I could go and rant and rave about last Sunday, however it's too late now at this stage to get anything off my chest. All I know is that Mayo are in trouble. It's time those players who were the ringleaders of the heave (I know, I know - I shouldn't mention it but I had to) stood up and be counted now. There was no leadership in the second half the last day, from the line or the players themselves. Parsons was about the only one to emerge with credit, as did Caff who stuck to Gooch like glue all day, K Mc did nothing wrong apart from those two stupid frees in the first half.

I think it is dangerous to start putting the gun to players heads over that heave Farr. If anything those who handled the replacement of Horan should be the target of anybody's temper. Early days but looks like our neighbours may have gained from the intrigue post Horan's resignation.

The new management is trying a new tack and so far anyway players seem to be struggling to adapt and confidence appears to be low once we fall behind in a game. We re competitive but not creating chances. That may well come.
As mayo4sam pointed out earlier, some issues have been addressed. It's a work in progress and there's time.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 15, 2016, 11:18:03 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 15, 2016, 11:12:10 PM

[/b]

Not just Donaghy that does him.Hennelly is a liability and always has been.Brilliant shot stopper but his kickouts are erratic and he dosent command the square at all.The sooner Clarke is back the better

First goal went straight under him. That can happen though.

Not sure he can or will be dropped.

mayoman dan

As far as i know Clarke is involved so i dont see any reason not to drop him.Were asking for trouble with him.Look at the 2 Dubin games last year big mistakes in each of them cost us goals

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 15, 2016, 11:44:03 PM
As far as i know Clarke is involved so i dont see any reason not to drop him.Were asking for trouble with him.Look at the 2 Dubin games last year big mistakes in each of them cost us goals

What happens if Hennelly is dropped and walks? Is the new management strong enough to deal with it. Clarke's injury history is very bad and what are the chances he's able to complete a year? What then?

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 16, 2016, 12:00:23 AM

What happens if Hennelly is dropped and walks? Is the new management strong enough to deal with it. Clarke's injury history is very bad and what are the chances he's able to complete a year? What then?

Interesting points Moy.Ideally Clarke would stay injury free and Hennelly would fight it out for the number 1 spot with him.Keeping a fella on the team because he might walk away if dropped is not very fair to the rest of the squad.As sure as night follows day Hennelly will crack when the pressure comes on

muppet

It is probably best that we trash him on the internet and demand that he be dropped. Maybe we could start screaming in panic everytime the ball comes in, just like we did with Peter Burke (who played for Ireland) near the end of his days.

I reckon Hennelly is 8 years younger than Cluxton and 6 years younger than Clarke. Even though he is there a long time, he is still relatively young for a keeper and will continue to improve. On his day he is terrific. We are fortunate to have such a very experienced back-up to step in if necessary.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 12:26:27 AM

It is probably best that we trash him on the internet and demand that he be dropped. Maybe we could start screaming in panic everytime the ball comes in, just like we did with Peter Burke (who played for Ireland) near the end of his days.

I reckon Hennelly is 8 years younger than Cluxton and 6 years younger than Clarke. Even though he is there a long time, he is still relatively young for a keeper and will continue to improve. On his day he is terrific. We are fortunate to have such a very experienced back-up to step in if necessary.

I'm not demanding dropping Hennelly anyway - even though I think Clarke is a better keeper. Age, injury history and maybe more come into the equation. Dropping Hennelly would be a huge call for management, but the back-up keeper should get time during the league.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on March 16, 2016, 12:45:26 AM

I'm not demanding dropping Hennelly anyway - even though I think Clarke is a better keeper. Age, injury history and maybe more come into the equation. Dropping Hennelly would be a huge call for management, but the back-up keeper should get time during the league.

Not you.

There is very little between them, but personally I would stick with Hennelly (even if I didn't see the last game).
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 12:52:52 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 16, 2016, 12:45:26 AM

Not you.

There is very little between them, but personally I would stick with Hennelly (even if I didn't see the last game).

If it was just down to better keeper I would go with Clarke by some distance. But it's not that simple. He has a terrible track record of injury and now that he is into his thirties are things likely to change?  He's been very unlucky and as a consequence so have we.
In my time 3 Dublin keepers (Cullen, O'Leary and Cluxton) would have played @ 90% of Dublin matches, league and championship, last 40+ years. That's something else. Cork hurling goalkeepers huge careers also.
Clarke in Mayo panel since 2001 but probably missed 50% of those years with injury. For a goalie he is still relatively young but he has a history of breaking down.

highorlow

The goalie is the least of our problems lads.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on March 16, 2016, 09:48:16 AM
The goalie is the least of our problems lads.
its as big as any .
I dont believe there was any structuaral  flaws that cost mayo the game on sunday . we cooulda shudda got a couple of penalties kerry goal should have been disallowed. out free taking was bad and we had too many bad wides  , so i would say it was more of an unlucky and subpar effort rather than any fundemental weakness.
After the exxcellence of  monaghan diarmaid Oconnor had a poor game and was cranky thought out , he only a kid yet maybe a break would do him the world of good, or even a run with the u21's
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere