Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

I can't imagine AZ expected this outpouring of stories about that one time a group of knacks from <insert country here> behaved like knacks on the terrace, they're all knacks in <insert country here>. I know people are saying they're only relaying their experience and they're entitled to their opinion etc, but do they really think that some counties have a pronounced tendency towards producing scumbags? Merciful hour.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: deiseach on September 25, 2013, 01:53:39 PM
I can't imagine AZ expected this outpouring of stories about that one time a group of knacks from <insert country here> behaved like knacks on the terrace, they're all knacks in <insert country here>. I know people are saying they're only relaying their experience and they're entitled to their opinion etc, but do they really think that some counties have a pronounced tendency towards producing scumbags? Merciful hour.

Your lucky Tyrone aren't into their Hurling!!

Syferus

The two Laois lads in Carrick for the Donegal match were mad craic anyways.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 25, 2013, 10:48:29 AM
Quote from: Feckitt on September 25, 2013, 10:42:14 AM
I have to object to the Laois poster who is obviously and rightly i suppose sticking up for his own county.  Firstly it has nothing to do with Billy Sheehan, as I wasnt at that match, and the matches that I refer to all happened before the Sheehan incident. 

Armagh have no border or any real reason for rivalry with Laois.  In fact there is no rivalry.  However, the match in 2005 was unprecedented for the nasty atmosphere from Laois fans.  There was no apparent call for it, and I still cannot figure out why?  Nor was it from a bunch of teenagers.  Almost every Laois person that was anywhere near me in the stand was in very bad form.  I have no problem with any other county.  A few years later at a nothing league match in the Athletic Grounds, the same horrible atmosphere was there.

I have never had this experience with any other county ever.  A few other posters have mentioned the 2005 match.  It is unlikely we were all sitting in the same section.  It just seems very strange.

Was that the double header with Tyrone/Fermanagh on before when Tyrone won by about 15 points?? As a neutral I was at it (supporting Armagh) in the middle of Laois fans and didnt remember anything nasty being said. In saying that it can happen. As much as I hate all things Tyrone the worst experience I ever had was in Newry against Down in a qualifier (Skinner scored wonder goal) and some Down boll*x didnt stop going on about Londonderry from the first to last minute!! Not even sure he realised that the Down full back that day was a Bellaghy man Scullion!!!

Walter, I am disgusted at that Down Boll*x everyone knows that comment is for the exclusive use of Tyrone people towards our friendly Londenderry neighbours.

A direct response to 10 years of 'There will never be a SAM in Tyrone'

The Hill is Blue

I'm really only interested in the Dubs doing well. Outside that I take it on a match to match basis. There's no one county that I would never want to win.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

seafoid

Quote from: Feckitt on September 25, 2013, 11:40:09 AM
Armagh most definitely did have a bandwagon crowd, but the Laois abuse was all coming from proper supporters, not 19yr old pissheads.  The bandwagon brigade don't travel to the Athletic Grounds on a Saturday night.

I have heard Londonderry being chanted on the hill in Clones, by Armagh teenagers, but I don't think this compares to adults shouting Orange b**tards, Queen Lovers and f**king dirty british b**tards!
That is totally out of order at a gaelic football match. The sacrifices players in the North had to make over the years are not understood very well down South, imo.   

Flutehook

From Dublin - far north thereof, nearly surrounded on 3 sides by Meath. "Like living in their armpit" as the oul' fella would say. Poisonous atmosphere during the 80s & 90s, bordering on hatred and could never bring myself to support them. Was self-aware enough though to appreciate how pathetic my depression was at Louth, Westmeath and Armagh failing to do what we coudn't achieve either! l've warmed to them a little of late however, whether due to my maturity or their decline I can't yet say!

Dublin is a small county but I was blissfully unaware, until we had a match in Glencullen, of the vituperative intensity of my countymens' dislike of Wicklow down that way. I would have as much consciousness of Easter Island as a rival tbh.

Perhaps I'd exhausted all my negativity on Meath but I couldn't really grasp the degree of special antipathy many Dubs held for Kildare in their breakthrough years. I know there's the money and the imports but whatever they did was done to them first on that front. Most of the ones I've met seemed like decent football folk (and the odd hurling one too) it must be said.

We once used Laois as an aspirational  yardstick in hurling and I've a lot of time for their hurling folk and the work they do - didn't mind terribly when our U21s lost to them for example and would like to see them back up the ranks. Their footballers though - bit of an Easter Island job.

Longford/Westmeath/Carlow - generally would follow and would like to see some good underage work in recent years result in something for one of them.

Offaly - can't really remember them as a football force but used to love their hurlers in the 80s and 90s - loved the way they would never bow before KK.

On Kilkenny, they take the p1ss on the football but have set the standards in hurling for a dozen years. Would generally respect, but not love, them and was glad, if only for a change, to see Tipp turn them over.

Despite some epic mills with Wexford in the early 90s would have cheered for them against Limerick in 96. Sad to see where they are at now.

Louth is only up the road and, sure, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel for them after the serial travails at the hands (and feet) of the Meath heathens!

Outside of Leinster I would, having worked up that way in the past and made friends there, generally support Down, Armagh, Monaghan and Tyrone and like to see them going well. I'd like Antrim hurlers to do something but fear, a bit like Derry footballers, the insular club scene provides both a comfort blanket and a cop out.

Outside of these would like to see Waterford hurlers make the breakthrough - just not at our expense. Similarly for Mayo seniors and Roscommon U21s - good footballers and support in numbers.

Kerry, for their general hypocrisy, gracelessness and lack of class in dealing with Tyrone's superiority in recent years are always good to rattle.

larryin89

Have a soft spot for Galway, would always cheer them on with gusto , except v our own shower of course.

Absolutely anyone except Roscommon , the sight of that jersey makes me sick.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

When did this much talked about Laois-Armagh rivalry begin?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Throw ball

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 26, 2013, 12:08:00 AM
When did this much talked about Laois-Armagh rivalry begin?

Would not call it a serious rivalry. A number of Armagh fans experienced sectarian abuse at matches against Laois. Big Joe reported similar stories in his book. Then in the league in the last two years we had Billy Sheehan. All Armagh did in revenge was give them Justin McNulty! :D

On a serious note there are many decent Laois supporters and we all know that. But sport is about rivalry and when your team is not involved you look for a reason to support one of the teams playing. Now Armagh people can add Laois to a list of teams to cheer against which includes Tyrone and Down to varying degrees.