Westmeath v Galway

Started by Duine Eile, March 19, 2007, 11:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Hard to know how this one will go. A lot depends on which version of Galway will turn up I suppose. The improvement in Galway's fortunes and the return of Padraic Joyce were not a coincidence, his influence turned Galway's league campaign around and hopefully the return of Mike Meehan, along with Deccy and Kieran Fitz will give Galway a further boost.  On the negative side Niall Coleman is supposed to have picked up an injury over the weekend playing for Annaghdown, he played well in Galway's last two outings so let's hope it's not too serious. At least a 60 minute performance is needed this time round though, we were lucky twice, I doubt it'll happen a third time.

GaillimhIarthair

It looks like Coleman's injury is serious enough as he is expected to be out of action for up to 6 weeks.  I guess the earliest we will see him in action again is May 20th. 

Croí na hÉireann

I think Sunday will tell a lot about how Westmeath's season will go. They met a very physical Louth team last day out who gave them by far their hardest game so far and hopefully we've learnt a lot from it. Should be looking to win our home games, 2 down, 2 to go, so halfway there. U21s got kicked out of the championship last Sunday so would look to see some of them more involved from now on. By some I mean Boyle, Connellan, Gavin and maybe Smyth who looked useful when he came on. If Sunday's performance is anything to go by we can forget about the rest of them.

Westmeath are playing a NFL game prior to the football at 1.45 so should any Tribesmen fancy coming to support the real maroon & whites against Mayo they would be more than welcome  :P Seriously though fair play to the County Board for having the games as a double header, they haven't been found wanting in this regard recently.

Point of irritation, could you change the title of the thread to reflect who's at home Duine Eile...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Duine Eile

Don't really see what difference it makes but alright. :-\

Croí na hÉireann

Billys Boots

QuoteU21s got kicked out of the championship last Sunday

Why, what did they do?  Is this an opportunity for the mini-metropolitans to get the oul legal wheels grinding again?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dangleberrys

The aul 'dont throw stones when you live in a glass house' eh...... :P

;D

Croí na hÉireann

O'Shaughnessy returns for Westmeath

David O'Shaughnessy will make his first start for Westmeath since last August's All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Dublin in Sunday's NFL Division 1B clash with Galway at Cusack Park, Mullingar.

The Garrycastle man, who was introduced as a substitute in the loss to Louth, replaces Damien Healy at midfield in what is the only change to the side. Healy received a one-month suspension following his dismissal against the Wee County.

Westmeath (SF v Galway): G Connaughton; F Boyle, M Ennis, J Keane; A Rigney, D O'Donoghue, D Heavin; M Flanagan, D O'Shaughnessy; F Wilson, D Dolan, J Smyth; A Mangan, P Bannon, D Glennon.

Will be interesting to see how Shaugho affects things from the start. He was key to our win in Galway last summer and competed well last day out against Louth when he was sprung from the bench. Was largely anomyous against de Dubs last August though.

Heals can rightly feel hard done by for the red card and subsequently the one month suspension considering what else went on in Dundalk. It'd be great to welcome him back to the fold in a League semi-final, which is where we'll end up if we win our last two home games.

If Flan wants to be playing midfield for the visit to Slasherland he'll have to put it in from the start. With Gary Dolan on the way back coupled with Bannon and Heals eyeing the position he has it all to do.

Willo and Glennon have been quiet since Derry, big games needed. Ball has to go into Budda quicker, he looked on form early against Louth but then the supply dried up. Good to see Boyle back.

Looking forward to the game, like last summer there'll be only a kick of the ball in it. Should be a big enough crowd what with the hurling on before it as well.

GalwayBayBoy

Westmeath 0-10
Galway 1-13

Some small payback for last year's debacle.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway finished strongly, registering 1-5 without reply, to beat Westmeath by 1-13 to 0-10 in Division 1B of the NFL at Mullingar.

The Tribesmen had the best of the early exchanges and they led by three points to one after 19 minutes.

Padraig Joyce struck first from a free and the Connacht county followed up with points from Nicholas Joyce and Ja Fallon, both from play.

Nicky (who hit the crossbar) and Padraig Joyce passed over very presentable goalscoring opportunities as Galway threatened to run riot.

Fifteen minutes had elapsed before the Lake County registered their first score and – predictably – it came from the boot of Dessie Dolan (free).

Padraig Joyce and Dolan traded scores before Joe Bergin landed a lovely one for Galway.

Dolan and Damien O'Shaughnessy registered the last two points of the first half for Westmeath and, unbelievably, despite Galway's apparent superiority, there was only a point in it at the break, 0-5 to 0-4.

Westmeath came out all guns blazing for the second half and momentarily took control of the game. They had two quick points, including a nice finish from Fergal Wilson, before Derek Savage replied for Galway.

Dolan (2) and Wilson were on target as the hosts moved ahead, while Galway stayed in touch through Padraig Joyce (free) and Bergin.

When full back Michael Ennis stormed forward to kick an inspirational point, stretching the gap to two, it seemed destined to be Westmeath's day, but Padraig Joyce's 56th-minute free ensured that there was soon just a point in it again: 0-10 to 0-9.

Nicky Joyce levelled with a point from an acute angle and the bearded Matthew Clancy then bagged the decisive goal.

Savage and Padraig Joyce (2) tagged on late points for Peter Forde's men who finished very strongly to win by six.

Duine Eile

Good win for the lads today. League has completely turned around for them again this year. All the usual suspects played well in fits and starts from what I've heard, didn't make it to Mullingar myself. Mike Meehan was quiet enough but it's going to take him time to get going again. Good to see Deccy back though. Mattie Clancy, the object of many people's scorn (including my own) came on and goaled again to save the day for Galway. As I said wasn't there myself, had only the radio to keep me updated so can't really comment on performances. Two more vital points picked up, Louth next sunday and another 2 points hopefully.

An Gaeilgoir

Should be a good game in May, i thought we would have it easy enough against ye, but now.... i'm not so sure..ye are motoring nicely...Kilcullen against Joyce should be a good tussle!

Duine Eile

Padraic seems to have a bit of fire in the belly again alright,he's had a quiet couple of seasons on the county scene but it looks like he's going to give it one big push for what could be his last year. It was plain to be seen that the forward line was in disarray at the start of the league campaign without his influence. The team seem to be coming good at the right end of the league. In saying that though we made the final last year and got nowhere in the championship. Hopefully that won't be the case this year!

GaillimhIarthair

Good result for our lads yesterday and great to get another 2 points on the board.  We seem to be motoring along very nicely now and I'd be hopeful of advancing to the latter stages of the league at this stage.  Louth away next will be difficult enough but I'd expect us to come away with something from Dundalk and we should be good enough to beat Down in Tuam in the last league game.  PJ's return seems to have steadied the ship and I don't think its any coincidence that results have improved since.

Croí na hÉireann

I wouldn't be taking too much heart from it to be honest lads, you've a lot of work to do. O'Mahony was at the game and I wouldn't say he was too concerned about what he saw. Bergin was the only one who did himself justice IMHO, class act.

Westmeath, where do I start, the inside forward line or the lack of one thereof. Fcukin useless the lot of them. Whatever Bannon's position is, it's not full forward. I'd try him half-forward instead of that Smyth fella. If Smyth is on the team sheet next week we can forget about making Division 1 next year. Budda brutal, Glennon even more infurating than usual. Time to put Dessie back in the corner. He gets through a mountain of work at no 11 and is a fantastic playmaker but we desperately need him inside.

The backs by and large had the measure of their men and along with the midfield and Dessie were the reason we were taking the game to Galway till the last 5-10 mins. Flan and Shaugho worked well in the middle and hopefully they can still improve as a partnership. Reason we were caught out at the end was due to the backs having to get forward to show the forwards how it's done and as a result we got caught by sucker punches. The goal really floored us and heads dropped a little bit. We'll have to bring some of the mental toughness back as there was still enough time to get the three points back as Galway subsequently demonstrated.

Kildare next Sunday is a must win, nothing else will do.