Brian McGuigan and Phillip Jordan announce their retirement

Started by muppet, November 01, 2011, 08:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: eriugaMS on November 01, 2011, 11:31:09 PM
Jordan cannot ever be a great after his stunt in 2003.

Feigning injury and hurt to get D Marsden sent off will only ever send out the message he was a cheat and perjursit (By action) and an insult of all that is good in our sport.  Yes it may have won him an AI medal but to do so by such mal-practice of all that is good in Gaa was and is a heresy to all proper supporters of the game.

He may be remembered for a few all Ireland medals but in the minds of many he will be remembered for being a cheat and as yellow as a duck's foot

Yawn ..... GET OVER IT!

eriugaMS

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 01, 2011, 11:33:38 PM
Quote from: eriugaMS on November 01, 2011, 11:31:09 PM
Jordan cannot ever be a great after his stunt in 2003.

Feigning injury and hurt to get D Marsden sent off will only ever send out the message he was a cheat and perjursit (By action) and an insult of all that is good in our sport.  Yes it may have won him an AI medal but to do so by such mal-practice of all that is good in Gaa was and is a heresy to all proper supporters of the game.

He may be remembered for a few all Ireland medals but in the minds of many he will be remembered for being a cheat and as yellow as a duck's foot

Yawn ..... GET OVER IT!

Yawn..... quite a succinct and great counter argument illustrating facts that counter the original proposition ................... NOT

boojangles

BennyCake

Never really liked Jordan. He just had one of those faces. A bit like John Terry or CJ McGourty. One you'd love to slap. Nothing personal. It's probably just a tribal thing. But I suppose his record speaks for itself.

McGuigan was a decent player in his day. He suffered bad injuries too and was nice to see him return afterwards. Am i correct in saying that because of his injuries and being off work, the GAA made sure in future, players were compensated in such circumstances?

Orchardman

trileacman, you say brian was robbed of an all star in 2005. This was the 6 forwards, who do you suggest he replace??

Brian Dooher (Tyrone), Peter Canavan (Tyrone), Eoin Mulligan (Tyrone), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Stephen O'NeillFOTY (Tyrone), Stephen McDonnell (Armagh)

Brian came home a week before the first round against cavan, hardly played a full game the whole championship. He had a great final though, hitting 3 big scores. He's a sound lad, who could have been alot better only for the injuries.

Yes jordan did indeed make a clown of himself in 2003, but apart from that i think he has been a class act, isn't the only man to start every game under harte in championship. I was thinking most the tyrone lads were going to give it one more lash, but i guess it's better to have a couple leave this year, and some more over the next year or 2. Dooher is different, he's 5 years older than the 97/98 crop, and it's time he was gone

BennyCake

I'm not sure McGuigan deserved an all star in 05. Canavan or Mulligan certainly didn't.

Canavan didn't play in the league that year. Was sub v Dublin in both games as far as I recall. Got a couple of points in the semi and a goal in the final. Only played half of both. Mulligan had done nothing up until that goal against Dublin. Had a good game in the replay, and was average enough in the semi and final. Ronan Clarke had a better year than all three.

It's seems to be if a player does something memorable he'll get an all star... Cassidy's point, Gormley's block, Mulligans goal, Cluxton's point etc.

rrhf

They shouldered the wheel for long enough with great success, and now new blood will come in and be tasked with continuing their success.  Their legacy is that Tyrone now see an all ireland as a legitimate target every year at minor under 21 and senior level.  To me Jordan was the most important Tyrone footballer over the last 10 years, consistently excellent, scored some key all ireland final points.  Mc Guigan was essential to prise open the big games, possessed with a vision and ability and committment that could overcome the most formidable of teams and injuries.  Without either or both Tyrone would not have achieved what they did.  They will of course be replaced in time but their service will be remembered by Tyrone people for a lifetime.     

BennyHarp

Quote from: BennyCake on November 02, 2011, 01:14:27 AM
I'm not sure McGuigan deserved an all star in 05. Canavan or Mulligan certainly didn't.

Canavan didn't play in the league that year. Was sub v Dublin in both games as far as I recall. Got a couple of points in the semi and a goal in the final. Only played half of both. Mulligan had done nothing up until that goal against Dublin. Had a good game in the replay, and was average enough in the semi and final. Ronan Clarke had a better year than all three.

It's seems to be if a player does something memorable he'll get an all star... Cassidy's point, Gormley's block, Mulligans goal, Cluxton's point etc.

Did Mulligan not RTE get man of the match in the 2005 final? Not bad for an average performance in what was widely regarded as the best final in years.
That was never a square ball!!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Orchardman on November 02, 2011, 12:09:23 AM

Brian came home a week before the first round against cavan

If he hadn't come home that summer Tyrone would not have won the All-Ireland. A lot of people wrongly attributed Tyrone's sharp decline after 2005 on the retirement of Peter Canavan but in truth it was the loss of Brian McGuigan that was most keenly felt, he was at the creative hub of that team and so much went through him. It was to his credit that he returned from those two terrible injuries to play inter county football again. He wasn't the same player but the class was still there and he gave a terrific performance coming off the bench in the 2008 final. Came on with about 20 minutes to go and calmed things down for Tyrone, getting on the ball and using it wisely. Tyrone scored 0-5 without reply in the closing stages and McGuigan was key to that with his cool head in centre field. I think it's a shame we didn't see more of the younger lads blooded the last couple of years as McGuigan was on form this summer and with others around to do more of his running and get onto his passes he could still have been very effective.

Jordan has been a class act over the past decade. Did he ever miss a championship match? He could easily have played on at the highest level for another couple of seasons at least. These lads don't owe Tyrone anything though, good luck to them.

heffo

Two great players who won't be replaced easily.

McGuigan was very unlucky with his injuries.

Best of luck in retirement.

Rois

Sublime players. 

What a decade they gave us.   But people my age should not be retiring - makes me feel very old!!

ONeill

For me Jordan was the first name on that team sheet. When he was absent form any NFL or McKenna game Tyrone were a much weaker side. Harte was lucky Jordan remained relatively injury free for the last decade although I believe he may have played through a couple of the latter season with injury. Best memories were his pass to Mulligan for the Canavan goal in the '05 final, his clinching point in the same game driving through the middle, his goal v Cavan in 2005 and single-handedly managing to annoy the whole of Armagh for the rest of their lives since 2003. Also, when the Dubs nailed Tyrone this year Jordan kept motoring til the end.

McGuigan oozed class. His point v Kerry in the 2005 final when he dummied two Kerry defenders was a thing of beauty. Apparently his stats for that game were phenomenal. Like Jordan, he always performed on the big occasion. People still don't realise what he went through to recover from his serious eye injury. He only half told that story.

When Gormley goes that Tyrone side will truly be a memory.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

The headline could be misleading...

"Brian MCGuigan and Phillip Jordan announce their retirement - together"

The first ever announcement of true love on the GAA scene
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orangemac on November 01, 2011, 11:33:04 PM

The soldiers from the 97/98 minor teams are one by one leaving the battlefield. They will not be easily replaced.

You wish  ;)

Just_Browsing

Two class acts.  I'd say there clubs will be delighted to get a few years out of them with there full commitment to the club scene and that will be great for both clubs.  Moy will certainly be serious opposition in Div 2 next year - both Ryan Mellon and Jordan available for all league games.

Will be hard players to replace on the Tyrone team but hopefully we will see some of the younger players get a chance now.