Amazon Kindle

Started by Ash Smoker, April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ash Smoker on April 23, 2011, 09:54:41 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Did you all buy them from the .co.uk site or from the .com American site?
Why would you buy from .com if you live in Ireland?

LeoMc

You can pick them up in Tesco for the same price, £111, as from Amazon.

Minder

Got one of these yokes for Fathers day, has anyone illegally downloaded books for theirs?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RMDrive

Quote from: Minder on June 20, 2011, 05:52:10 PM
Got one of these yokes for Fathers day, has anyone illegally downloaded books for theirs?

*cough* no of course not. Why would you ask?

Minder

Quote from: RMDrive on June 20, 2011, 08:57:28 PM

I didn't know you could, but a gentleman has informed me you can, I will have to have a word. Or you could PM me like a good lad.

Eamonnca1

I hear you can jailbreak the Nook and turn it into a simple Linux tablet.

I think I'd prefer the Kindle though, I've tried using my iPhone as a book reader and the constant glare of the screen would put your head astray eventually.

I'd be all in favour of getting a Kindle but I might wait for the price to come down a bit more.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: rrhf on April 22, 2011, 03:31:42 PM
I think people are mad to spend this money on what is effectively technology gone backwards, In my day we had these so called kindles in the history class.  They were called Microfiche/ film readers at that time. You can pick up a second hand fiche or film reader for the £50 mark, to do exactly the same job, just make sure the bulb still works, or if you really dont want to read a book take up swimming.   
I think I've found the error in your statement (assuming you're not joking, which I assume you are).

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on June 20, 2011, 09:16:13 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on June 20, 2011, 08:57:28 PM

I didn't know you could, but a gentleman has informed me you can, I will have to have a word. Or you could PM me like a good lad.
Have you no shame!* I take it this gentleman is a resident of West Belfast?

You'll of course let me know how it's done...

Mac hinery

Calibre e-book management is a useful bit of software that can convert pdf files to kindle format.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Ash Smoker on April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM
Does anyone have one of these and how do they find them to use?
I have looked on Amazon and it seems I have to buy it in from the USA, but then buy the books off amazon.co.uk
With all the postage charges and import tax, it starts to become expensive.

Is there a cheaper way of acquiring one?
Look at the Sony reader in Waterstones or on line. Does the same job but isn't as bulky.

RMDrive

The kindle will accept many different file types (azw, mobi, lit, txt, doc, pdf)
I use Calibre which is an ebook organiser. It will also convert files into kindle-friendly ones.
pdfs are the only real challenge. The kiindle shows them no problem but you have to change the orientation to landscape in order to have the text be a comfortable size.

onefaircounty

Lads I don't know a whole pile about it.

If someone was a big reader would they notice much difference, how do you turn the page and how is it on the eyesight? How is it for ease of use?

RMDrive

Quote from: onefaircounty on June 21, 2011, 12:29:10 PM

If someone was a big reader would they notice much difference, how do you turn the page and how is it on the eyesight? How is it for ease of use?

I've been using it solid since Christmas except for a few days when I read the Club. If easy on the eyes - there's no backlight and I find it reads just like a paper book. You turn the page by pressing a little button on the side (there's one on both sides).
It took me about 2-3 days to get used to it but now I don't even notice that it's not a real book.
Only downside is that if there are maps or glossaries or character lists, it's not easy to flick back and forth to them like it would be with a normal book.
If you are getting one I'd recommend that you buy the Kindle cover - essential for protecting the screen.

Minder

Quote from: RMDrive on June 21, 2011, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: onefaircounty on June 21, 2011, 12:29:10 PM

I've been using it solid since Christmas except for a few days when I read the Club. If easy on the eyes - there's no backlight and I find it reads just like a paper book. You turn the page by pressing a
little button on the side (there's one on both sides).
It took me about 2-3 days to get used to it but now I don't even notice that it's not a real book.
Only downside is that if there are maps or glossaries or character lists, it's not easy to flick back and forth to them like it would be with a normal book.
If you are getting one I'd recommend that you buy the Kindle cover - essential for protecting the screen.

I got a cheap holder/cover from Amazon the other day, it doesn't cover the screen though. Do you need a "skin" for the cover?

RMDrive

The one I have is a leather cover that the kindle clips in to. It's like the cover of a book.