Armagh v Fermanagh - Round 2 Qualifier - Enniskillen - July 11, 16:00

Started by AFS, June 28, 2010, 09:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eireogatron

every single bloody year theres a call for one of the golden age to be called back in. WHY???? these boys have retired of their own free will and can you really see someone who is 35 & retired deciding to come back into county football to play 20 minutes a match? NO CHANCE! With all due respect to Paul, a monster of a player in his day, but he was slowing down towards the end of his inter county career and just because he is playing well in Armaghs division 2 doesnt mean he is still the inter county player he was. This would be the backward step of all backwards steps.

"we have no leaders" - what??? Stevie McDonnell, Kieran McKeever, Brendan donaghy.... these guys arent leaders?? come off it!! leadership doesnt come from having a big mouth, it comes from experience, certainly at intercounty level so let the boys in the panel today get that experience and we'll have plenty of leaders.

I may be going a bit overboard here but I'm sick to death of our fans calling for the players of 2002 to return for "impact". that era has gone - GET OVER IT!!!

PatDaly

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/this-weeks-fixtures/

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2010
11.07.10 (Sunday)
Round 2 - Fear Manach v Ard Mhacha
Time: 4 00 PM
Venue: TBC
Referee: TBC
Extratime playable

Armaghgeddon

Would agree. We have loads of leaders, just look at them all stepping up when we played Monaghan. Most players on the Armagh team have the characteristics of a team captain, they have great work ethic, great under pressure but against Down and Monaghan it was non exsitent.

anportmorforjfc

With the Leinster football final and the Munster hurling final on the 11th i'm guessing the game isn't on tv?

PatDaly

Can anyone explain why Stefan Forker didn't get a run out against Donegal? I think the lad is very talented and needs to get more opportunities. He came on against Down in the league final and did great.

Erne Gael

Quote from: Emmett on June 28, 2010, 12:25:29 PM
After yesterdays drubbing it is hard to see anything but an easy Armagh win in this one. I just hope we don't go out without a fight. I would like to see Malachy return to the half back line that helped us reach the Ulster Final in 2008. The majority of the new lads drafted into the panel this year are great triers but unfortunately just not good enough at this level or at any county level (as proven in the NFL). The team I would like to see start is..........

Ronan Gallagher
John Woods
Martin O'Brien
Niall Bogue
Damian Kelly
Ryan McCluskey
Tommy McElroy
Martin McGrath
James Sherry
Mark Little
Rory Gallagher
Darryl Keenan
Seamus Quigley
Ryan Carson
Chris O'Brien

Well as a Fermanagh supporter, that performance yesterday was a complete disaster and to see any kind of result v Armagh is beyond us. Look how both teams have progressed since they last played in 08!! Monaghan Divison1 and 2nd Ulster Final in 3 years, Fermanagh Div 4 and 2 championship wins in 2 years (last year v Down and this year against a mediocre Cavan side). Yet this is exactly the same Monaghan team that played in 08.
I cant figure out why fermanagh did not employ their usual sweeper system that has served them well since 08??? would this not suggest the reason why fermanagh conceded 21 points yesterday???? The new players in have not produced the goods to be fair and to say they did the business v Cavan is a false indicator of where they are and fermanagh are in the rankings. Winning championship games in semi and final stages is where you earn your corn.

Emmett you suggest returning to the same half back line as the ulster final...I think they should return to most of the team that reached that final. The players available in the squad at minute such P. Sherry in at corner back, D. Kelly Half Back, Ryan Keenan and C McElroy into the forward line. even throw cosgrove in middle and or play as half forward coming into middle of pitch. Little does not deserve his place on current form along with a few other forwards after yesterdays display. I agreed Woods deserves his chance as he has not put a foot wrong in any games I seen of him in Mc Kenna and I heard he was good in final league game v Cavan marking Mackey

Gallagher
P. Sherry
Lyons
bogue
kelly
mccluskey
t mcelroy
mcgrath
J. sherry
cosgrove
r gallagher
little/mcelroy
d.keenan
quigley/carson
r.keenan

David McKeown

According to the email from the county board this afternoon the match is fixed for this Sunday in Enniskillen
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

armaghniac

QuoteAccording to the email from the county board this afternoon the match is fixed for this Sunday in Enniskillen

Was Tony Fearon involved if they are planning to go a week early?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AFS on June 28, 2010, 03:50:58 PM
What ever way it's spun, you simply don't build a team for the future by recalling 35 year olds two years into retirement. It's a daft idea, and I'm sure Paul himself would be the first to laugh at it.

Exactly, would be madness to look towards McGrane now.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

armaghniac

QuoteExactly, would be madness to look towards McGrane now.

Has anyone thought of inviting Jarlath Burns back?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: sammymaguire on June 28, 2010, 10:41:30 AM
Thats a draw Armagh will be delighted with, short trip against a team which comes off the back off a drubbing where the confidence will be on the floor... Armagh should win this at a canter

Be careful what you wish for

Thats exactly what I said in 2004, a year we could have won a second All Ireland.

topgun

i personally think that bringing Paul McGrane, the greatest midfielder of his generation, the greatest player armagh has ever had, back onto the panel wouldnt be a bad move, the only way this would happen would be if Paul himself thought he had something to offer, imagine the things that toner, lavery and vernon could learn from this man, and he would certainly be able to last 20 mins, (b dooher for example around same age),  building teams isnt always about new blood its providing that new blood with the proper tools, and wat better tool than already said for the aforementioned trio above to learn from the best, Paul has orange blood and would be happy to help any way he could. 
a prophet is not recognised by his own

PatDaly

Quote from: topgun on June 29, 2010, 01:38:20 AM
i personally think that bringing Paul McGrane, the greatest midfielder of his generation, the greatest player armagh has ever had, back onto the panel wouldnt be a bad move, the only way this would happen would be if Paul himself thought he had something to offer, imagine the things that toner, lavery and vernon could learn from this man, and he would certainly be able to last 20 mins, (b dooher for example around same age),  building teams isnt always about new blood its providing that new blood with the proper tools, and wat better tool than already said for the aforementioned trio above to learn from the best, Paul has orange blood and would be happy to help any way he could.

I can't disagree with this provided it was done exactly the right way (i.e.) its not interpreted by the current younger players as a criticism of their ability. I also think it would be some lift for an Armagh team under pressure going into the last 20 minutes of a high profile game to be able to introduce Paul McGrane. If Geezer had been used in this way in his last 2 years on the team we'd possibly have more than 1 All-Ireland. The All-Ireland semi in 2005 vs Tyrone comes to mind although some will argue Geezer could have gone the full 72 minutes that day.

I'm still looking for a reply to my previous post - can anyone explain why Stefan Forker didn't get a run out against Donegal? I think the lad is very talented and needs to get more opportunities. He came on against Down in the league final and did great.