Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Gaa

The leagues will be distorted for a few years to fix the Covid issues. With 4 senior clubs being relegated that will make intermediate strong next year and senior football will be weakened by those who do manage to get promoted. I don't rate any of those teams in the running better than Edendork for example.
Living the dream!!!

Tyrone11234

Agreed. Although, their league position of last isn't a true reflection of their team. I'd say they're better than Galbally, Eglish , derrylaughan etc

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Tyrone11234 on October 18, 2021, 07:16:38 PM
Agreed. Although, their league position of last isn't a true reflection of their team. I'd say they're better than Galbally, Eglish , derrylaughan etc

The starred format has obviously hampered Edendork, however I believe the other teams mentioned are all better quality sides than those that will be promoted to senior football next year.

It is what it is. You'd imagine next season's intermediate championship winners would be targeting a strong run at an ulster title and maybe more. The promoted sides likely bankers to be relegated. It will take 3-4 seasons to sort itself out.
Living the dream!!!

NotedObserver

Under Lights

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on October 18, 2021, 11:31:16 PM

The starred format has obviously hampered Edendork, however I believe the other teams mentioned are all better quality sides than those that will be promoted to senior football next year.

It is what it is. You'd imagine next season's intermediate championship winners would be targeting a strong run at an ulster title and maybe more. The promoted sides likely bankers to be relegated. It will take 3-4 seasons to sort itself out.

There was talk of splitting the ACL into 4 divisions again, it would have gotten away too if it hadn't of been for that pesky covid.

Also next season suppose to be a split season so no starred games and no club football to July.
Possibly 10 or more current Tyrone senior squad players in Intermediate next year.

Ancharraig123

Pomeroy/Galbally in the exact position as Edendork, your 2/3 best players missing for 9 games of course they are going to find it tough in starred games against Trillick,Errigal,Dromore etc

LeoMc

Tickets still not up on the website for the weekend matches!

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Under Lights on October 19, 2021, 06:15:39 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on October 18, 2021, 11:31:16 PM

There was talk of splitting the ACL into 4 divisions again, it would have gotten away too if it hadn't of been for that pesky covid.

Also next season suppose to be a split season so no starred games and no club football to July.
Possibly 10 or more current Tyrone senior squad players in Intermediate next year.
You will still have your starred games as the league will start at the end of May. Division 1b will be perfect for the likes of Pomeroy Galbally and Edendork, rather than the constant yoyo up down between Senior and Intermediate.

smort

Surely a split season means no overlap??

PMG1

Quote from: smort on October 19, 2021, 11:00:40 AM
So you expect club footballers to sit kicking their heels until the middle of July??? Half the league will be starred as before with those starred games being played May, June and July

smort

Yes
Preseason will start in May probably, play football from July to December, then 4 months off

Do you want club footballers to start preseason in February and finish the year in December. A month off and then do the same in 2023 and forevermore?

Under Lights

Quote from: PMG1 on October 19, 2021, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: smort on October 19, 2021, 11:00:40 AM
So you expect club footballers to sit kicking their heels until the middle of July??? Half the league will be starred as before with those starred games being played May, June and July

That's the point. Club football with no breaks. Cut your cloth accordingly.

Jimbop

As I understand it the AI final will be in or around 18th of July going forward.

I think it would be unfair to expect clubs to wait until 25th July for their first game.

A sensible approach would be pencil in say 4-5 starred games beginning middle of June. That means a fair balance between the burden on likes of Edendork / Pomeroy of starred games, while also maximising club games during the summer months. If Tyrone have a bad year then it could end up that clubs have very few games without their county players.

Redhand Santa

December was an exception this year with the All Ireland running late and Tyrone reaching the final. Next year there will be an opportunity to play starred games from late May to mid July. Then finish the leagues pre championship. Season will be wrapped up by late October for most teams. Definitely too late waiting around until late July to start things.

smort

Although in recent years, with Tyrones increased levels of success and progress at all Ireland level over the past generation, the club season has been finishing late, often in November for promotion/relegation playoffs

I genuinely believe that over the past 18months club players have come to realise that they don't want a 10/11 month season anymore. Maybe starting in mid-July is late, but this could be earlier if Tyrone were out (although would hope Tyrone will continue to make it to semis and finals over coming years). 15 league games and say 4 championship games for a successful team, that's 19 games. At 4 games a month, that's 5 months, and you could even have a couple of fixtures Friday\Sunday or midweek during August.

Without being able to see the detail anywhere, I thought the split season motion meant just that, a complete separation of club and county. Maybe you could have a start in June and lineup some starred fixtures for then, if Tyrone are still playing then the clubs can begin without them, if Tyrone are out then so be it, county players back with their clubs. Or you could have new regional tournaments in June or something

I have finished playing myself but still know a lot of active club players and the opinion would be that the balance before was all wrong. Genuinely believe there should be 4 months of rest for club players Jan - Apr, and I know some will get rest in December the previous year, but successful teams will still be playing