Obesity in Ireland, What's goin on?

Started by omaghjoe, May 06, 2015, 12:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie d

Quote from: The Iceman on May 07, 2015, 12:31:51 AM
So the attitude of more exercise doesn't work. Calories in versus calories out is bullshit when calories in are not all equal.
for example: 160 calories from a handfulof almond nuts with dietary fibre that regulate blood sugar levels versus 160 calories from a drink of pepsi that immediately enters the blood stream, spiking insulin levels and creating fat. Exercise doesn't help any of that. How much exercise will a child need to do to burn 160 calories? 80 minutes of jogging

The problem is sugar. Excess sugar in processed foods, low fat foods, reduced fat foods, diet foods.

the only way to combat childhood obesity and obesity in general is to remove sugar. consume clean healthy calories, stop drinking fizzy drinks and eating sweets and then promote some exercise and activity....

Thats the crux of the documentary FED UP. Worth watching lads.

Yes I agree, that diet is more important. You could exercise all you want, eat an unhealthy diet and still not make much progress. My point was, and maybe its just me, that I did more exercise first and after a few weeks a better diet followed. Now that I haven't done much exercise lately the healthy food has went out the window.

magpie seanie

GP tells me it's 20% Exercise, 80% Diet.

Sitting in a chair looking at a screen 8-9 hours a day doesn't help either I imagine. Humans were not designed for that.

grounded

Here is a fairly good article on the relationship of sugar and obesity. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/9160114/The-bitter-truth-about-sugar.html

Sugar tastes good and is cheap. Food manufacturers realise this. Get them addicted when they are young and you have a customer for life. A bit like smoking really. I was amazed how much sugar is contained in some foodstuffs. A 500ml bottle of Volvic flavoured water has around 28g or 7 teaspoons of sugar!  Those little 100ml bottle of Danone PROBIOTIC Actimel have almost 3.
         I suppose the food manufacturers are operating businesses which are obviously profit driven. However they should/do have some responsibilities such as not deliberately targeting the very young with advertising.
         I've often asked myself how did Coca Cola decide what names and the frequency of said names to appear on their bottles for the Irish market?

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 07, 2015, 01:07:30 PM
GP tells me it's 20% Exercise, 80% Diet.

Sitting in a chair looking at a screen 8-9 hours a day doesn't help either I imagine. Humans were not designed for that.

Get off the board then and do some work  ;)

Was running with a mate this morning. He a very solid runner but is a big build (ex intercounty footballer - midfielder). He'd have run a right few marathons but not this 3 years as he felt he was carrying too much weight to get his time down, at the same time he knew this was largely muscle rather than fat.

Anyways, he done the Nightrun 10km recently and PB'd in a time of 38.40. Said he really went for it on the night and targeted it from months back. He says that the biggest factor for him was loosing weight in the run up and he done this by very simply stopping doing his weights and workouts. Lost half a stone in a few months with this approach and made a serious difference to his run. (Maybe this be better on the running thread!)

armaghniac

America has gone well of course with crap in food, but also in promoting people to drive everywhere. Quite apart from roads with no proper footpaths, you have drive in restaurants, drive in postboxes, etc. Ireland has taken many dysfunctional attitudes from the US, and in this case Berlin rather than Boston might be a better guide. For instance, in France they have an elaborately designed school meals programme and there is none of this about children not eating vegetables. Here many kids are sent to school with crisps in the lunch box and people would rather a tax cut than well designed subsidised school meals which would infringe on individual "rights" to eat crap.

You would think Canada would be better than the US. But I met an Englishman who was in Vancouver for a year, he used talk a walk with his wife around the block in his suburb  each evening. Someone called the police (whatever about racial prejudice, these were middle aged middle class polite white English people), who came along and questioned them. The police said there was no law against this, I got the impression the police didn't think this a good use of their time, but the fact remains that someone called them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Is the school meals issue more in post-primary? Our ones take school meals and they are traditional meat and two veg dinners similar to in our day. They also have chicken wraps, curry etc. but definitely none of the crap Jamie Oliver used to bang on about.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 08, 2015, 12:32:03 AM
Is the school meals issue more in post-primary? Our ones take school meals and they are traditional meat and two veg dinners similar to in our day. They also have chicken wraps, curry etc. but definitely none of the crap Jamie Oliver used to bang on about.

The situation in the North is much better than the South.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2015, 12:33:27 AM

Yes, someday we hope to unite our schools dinners with your good selves.

Jebus Christ almighty!
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2015, 03:49:52 AM

Jebus Christ almighty!
Will you wear a commerative brocolli floret on your lapel every year?

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 08, 2015, 07:39:20 AM
Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2015, 03:49:52 AM

Jebus Christ almighty!
Will you wear a commerative brocolli floret on your lapel every year?

Did I post that?  :-[

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

I came across this article about a family in America that only eats meat, yep only meat

http://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/09/zero-carb-interview-the-andersen-family/

Food for thought (sorry!) for the veggies out there..... and the rest of us.
Eye watering amount of money to spend on food tho.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2015, 10:41:03 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2015, 03:35:25 AM
"Look at your man out for a run. Dick!"

"Look at your man out cycling. Dick!"

"Look at your man out for a walk. Dick!"

"Look at your man going to the gym. Dick!"

"Look at your man playing tennis. Dick!"

Who says that? It's fairly obvious you haven't lived in Ireland for a long time Eamonn. The amount of walkers, runners and cyclists on the roads is huge these days.

In all fairness it wasn't too bad in Ireland, and anytime I go back now and go for a spin nobody passes any remarks.

It was rough in England though. Cycling around Manchester I used to get dog's abuse, but then they'd abuse you every time you go out to the corner store for a pint of milk. Depends where you live I suppose. When I lived in Salford it was awful, when I lived in Stockport it was fine. Problem was I usually had to ride through Salford to get to the places I liked to go.

ballinaman

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 16, 2015, 03:16:43 AM
I came across this article about a family in America that only eats meat, yep only meat

http://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/09/zero-carb-interview-the-andersen-family/

Food for thought (sorry!) for the veggies out there..... and the rest of us.
Eye watering amount of money to spend on food tho.
Jaysus, they look/sound like an awful shower of sickners...

imtommygunn

Their colons must be in some shape...

When those kids grow up if they try to eat carbs etc i suspect their body might struggle to process them.

The Iceman

I can't fathom how that diet works and how they are healthy without supplements. Doesn't make any sense..
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight