Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Well as our teaching friends traipse back to school over the coming week with heavy hearts, at least our local papers are keeping them in the public eye with stories like this from Fintona.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/claim-teacher-wrote-on-pupils-head-with-marker-probed-38428314.html

playwiththewind1st

They will all trudge back in &  then throw a sicky...6 months' full & 6 months's half (probably)? Terrible!

Jim Bob

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 23, 2019, 08:08:23 PM
They will all trudge back in &  then throw a sicky...6 months' full & 6 months's half (probably)? Terrible!

All of them ?

ONeill

Starting my 21st year. Wanted to be an astronaut.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2019, 07:08:15 PM

Better pension as a teacher & no ould Apollo 13 type risks.

armaghniac

You seem a bit of a spacer alright.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Best of luck!

Start of the year is always hard going to get through the crap, seemingly pointless training days but back in the classroom with the door shut you will soon be back in the groove counting down the days to Halloween.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 23, 2019, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 23, 2019, 04:58:59 PM
Well as our teaching friends traipse back to school over the coming week with heavy hearts, at least our local papers are keeping them in the public eye with stories like this from Fintona.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/claim-teacher-wrote-on-pupils-head-with-marker-probed-38428314.html
*cough!*
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5587.msg1921136#msg1921136

Sorry! Didn't see that.

But even by Fintona standards this is a strange one.  Incident must have occurred months ago, why only surfacing now?  What sort of brain freeze occurred with the teacher if the details of the story are true?

Never heard of a teacher writing on a child with a marker. There was a case in a neighbouring school with an ongoing building site where a teacher marked the headmaster's welly boots with large L and R to make sure he had them on the correct feet. (A Jimmy Cricket reference for those old enough to remember)

RedHand88

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 24, 2019, 07:58:51 PM

Better pension as a teacher & no ould Apollo 13 type risks.

Apollo 13 wouldn't worry me, at least they survived. Apollo 1 would be more scary.

playwiththewind1st

The teacher pensions will be OK too. Pumped a whole lot more money into them recently , apparently. Heads constantly on the radio, moaning about how they haven't enough money to run their schools & what's the priority? ? Pension costs!

JimStynes

Anyone want to send me their Primary 6/7 planning  ;)

Jim Bob

Another version is that a post it note was stuck on child's forehead with the writing on it   No marker involved

Orior

School principals in the north might go on strike. Quite bizarre. Will anyone notice?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49709991
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

playwiththewind1st

You can be quite sure it will be "action short of a strike", so that they don't lose a day's pay out of their inflated salaries. School budgets in a mess? Big headteacher salaries account for a sizeable part of that little problem.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on September 16, 2019, 01:53:38 PM
You can be quite sure it will be "action short of a strike", so that they don't lose a day's pay out of their inflated salaries. School budgets in a mess? Big headteacher salaries account for a sizeable part of that little problem.

No teacher is losing any salary with their current industrial action. No reason why principals shouldn't do the same.

Heads' salaries are not the issue, only one per school. Problem due to:

1. Real terms decreases in budgets each year since 2012. Allowing ministers to claim there have been no decreases in the amount of money being paid to schools.

2. Around 60% of the £2.1bn budget for education is actually paid to school budgets. Compared to GB where over 85% of the DE budget arrives in schools.

3. Any increases in pay since 2012 for teachers or ancillary staff has been taken from existing budgets, increases in employers contributions for pensions of teachers and ancillary staff have been taken from existing budgets. Only this year has new money been put into budgets to assist with pension contributions for employers. Now paying 20% of gross pay of ancillary staff and 24% of gross pay of teachers back into pension schemes. Schools also pay 14% of gross pay into National Insurance.

4. All inflationary increases in heat/light/supplies have had to be absorbed in static funding scenario.

But sure why look at the evidence when a glib and false comment can be made.

Quote from: Orior on September 16, 2019, 01:22:36 PM
School principals in the north might go on strike. Quite bizarre. Will anyone notice?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49709991

Almost every primary school principal is already on strike. Most CCMS school principals are members of INTO so also on strike. In controlled schools the principals mostly belong to UTU and are already on strike.

This creates an issue of principals running with the hares and hunting with the hounds as they answer to Boards of Governors and have a say in the strike action.

In secondary schools, the principals in most non-selective schools are members of NAHT which has decided to ballot for strike action.  Another block are the principals of selective schools who are almost all members of ASCL.

There are a few principals in secondary schools who are members of INTO/UTU/NASUWT/NEU and they are using their position to attend union meetings by right but are actually the management of the school who are the target of the striking teachers. A bit sneaky but they know what they are doing and so should their staff.