Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Any truth in the rumour that Yash Armstrong of Rossa fame is playing for their senior team, at the age of 51?

I wouldn't be surprised.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnjoe

Going by a small snippet in todays Irish News, our under 16`s did well at a recent inter county tournament, losing to Armagh by one point, and beating Tyrone, Derry, and Fermanagh.

Well done to all concerned.I`ve seen a few under age games recently, and I can say for certain there is a much, much better type of young player coming through the system. the skill levels are much higher too.

If Antrim can beat Derry, it would give the county a massive lift. In fact, if our minors beat Derry, I might even be persuaded to think that O Prey has something about him, but at the minute the jury is still out!

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: ONeill on May 16, 2007, 11:55:57 PM
Any truth in the rumour that Yash Armstrong of Rossa fame is playing for their senior team, at the age of 51?

I wouldn't be surprised.

he looks as young as you Shane
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Glensman

Anyone know if there are senior football matches next Wednesday as in the 23rd?

Cheers.

imtommygunn

It's hurling on next wednesday. The football seems to be on this weekend - mostly on Sunday.

Check out the county web-site fixtures.

http://antrim.gaa.ie

aontroim

That round of hurling fixtures was in there before the Ulster Hurling Final was moved to next weekend - i can see these fixtures being pulled - well Div 1 anyway.

NICSSA

Div 1 and 2 Football is on this saturady and then a 3 week gap to 10th June

Glensman

Cheers NICSSA...I may come on here asking for fixtures during work time...sorry. I can get the antrim website but the fixtures section is banned for some reason.

Good result for you boys v Rasharkin NICSSA...things coming together for you guys? Rasharkin play badly?

Real shame about Paul Doc's injury - any news on whether he'll be back for the county.
Must have been some dirty fecker for McDermotts to do that to Paul Doc...civil fella.
The ignorance of some people gets to me.

NICSSA

Threw it away Glensman, it's probably the best we've played all year. All Rasharkins scores came from frees , their last one with the last kick of the game. Div 2 is a close league at present with only 2 points between the top 5 teams

culchy1

NICCSA maybe if you's learnt how to tackle properly you wudnt give away as many frees! ::) ;)

maybe u shud be playing in defence! ;)

every time rasharkin got near the posts you's chopped them down, only saying lak.

and dont come with the ref was crap because he was as bad for both teams.

johnjoe

Went into our official county website just there, for the first time in a while, for a browse.

The main action seems to feature around the corporate raceday, and the Saffron Sweep Draw.

I cant believe that seven or eight clubs have made no contribution at all to the Saffron Sweep. Most clubs will finish up in the region of 20 - 40 tickets sold, and this represents some kind of reasonable/decent effort.

The Cushendun contribution of 173 sales is a tremendous achievement for such a small parish, and shows what can be done.

The clubs with no sales at all sicken the life out of me. There are no excuses at all for this, so if one of these is your club, dont even try to pass it off as anything less than a disgrace.

There is an onus on us all to improve our national standing and put some pride back into our county. This is the first venture of its kind, for many years, so get out and get your tickets sold. Stop the rot.

I know it wont happen, but clubs with less than a certain quota sold, say 10 minimum, should not be allowed to compete in next years c`ships, or some penalty that reflects their total disrespect for officialdom.

Any other opinions on this?

gallsman

I agree that more should be done, however it is not the business of the county board to be telling people exactly who has sold what. That will simply lead to bickering, name calling and downright idiotic ideas likr the one mentioned above.

No disrespect intended at all johnhoe, I just think it's lunacy to be threatening people with championship expulsion based on ticket sales. Completely against the ethos of the GAA.

Glensman

Sorry Johnjoe but that is a stupid suggestion. Barring clubs from the Championship for not selling tickets...come on.

It is a super initiative and some clubs have clearly embraced it more than others but to stop championship for it?!
Where clubs have had gala dinners, been fundraising solid for the last number of years it is sometimes wise to take a step back. How that shows a TOTAL DISRESPECT FOR OFFICIALDOM I'm not sure.

A stern call from the county chairman would suffice. Regardless of the merits of him in his role a call from him might see some action being started. Not much point in a club getting on the wrong side of him.

Rewards for the most sales are fair enough I reckon.

What else "sickens the life" out of you then? Just so that I know what we are dealing with.

stiffler

I think the ticket sales look poor, they were 750-800 sales reported to the county board last week, and with a target of 2000 sales it doesnt look too rosey. heres hoping alot of sales simply havent been reported to the county board, and there is a big push in the coming 2wks and hopefully the draw will end in a sucess.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

johnjoe

Gallsman, Im all for name and shame. Personally I think the clubs who have treated this major fundraising initiative with total disrespect should be hung out to dry.

Examine the background.

A new county chairman goes about the business of bringing Co Antrim Gaa into 21st century. He instigates a full review of what Antrim is doing wrong. Every aspect of County activity is included, finance, dev squads, schools, proper coaching, cultural, clubs, etc,etc. It is all inclusive. Its everyones big opportunity to agree a roadmap/business plan for the future.

The end result (the Antrim Strategic Plan) is the best piece of collective administrative work probably ever carried out. It is a roadmap designed to put Antrim GAA on the map. At its launch, Michael Greenan and Nuicky Brennan describe it as the best of its kind.

The plan calls out for greater finance to put together the first phase of the strategy - the short term priorities. We are on our way!!!

All it requires is a committment from ALL clubs, to do a BIT each( sell 20 tickets minimum). Some clube exceed this, embrace it fully, get stuck into making Antrim better.  Other clubs give it the one fingered salute!!!

The way I see it is this is the best chance we are ever going to get, to put our house in order. If Mc Sparran loses his motivation, his drive, as so many have before him, due to APATHY FROM CLUBS, then we will never see an All - Ireland title in our lifetime. Thats my honest assessment, and I firmly believe it.

If this initiative fails, who is going to take on the mantle of delivering the next one? We must not fall at the first fence.

Wouldnt it be a real pity if the poor clubs were exposed. My arse!

Time for some clubs to get their finger out, thats what I say. We`ve been hearing the excuses for too long.