Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

Impressive crowd alright but Johnnycool is right. Didn't Danny Hogg ware a beard around that time. That isn't Jim Close either.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

cville

I think you're right on the photo - my guess would be 1991 - as that was the last year they both had the old style jerseys ... 92 the year Down won was the biggest crowd - although the 1995 draw was up there also... since then it has lost any sense of value ... Just think that 1992 was the peak of the Ulster revival ... you recall that the previous summer Antrim fell to Kilkenny in an epic ... also that year Antrim played Down in November in a top of the table clash in Division one of the league... On the stand side and at the concrete behind the goal you couldn't turn a sweet in your mouth ... Now at Casement it's just the die-hards... 

ONeill

I  think Jody would need to get the likes of McGourty on his side as he's one of their potential matchwinners with a few good years ahead of him. I actually thought Conor may have received the call-up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

charlie stubbs

aontroim abu

Quote from: Guillem2 on November 22, 2006, 05:57:14 PM
Impressive crowd alright but Johnnycool is right. Didn't Danny Hogg ware a beard around that time. That isn't Jim Close either.
you're 100% right that isnt Jim Close. it is the minor game from 1992 and it is Joe Boyle form Rossa playing for Antrim, dont know who the Down player is

cville

JUST TO REFRESH - ANTRIM DOWN GAME CASEMENT 1992 - GO TO SPORTSFILE IRELAND - TYPE IN JIM CLOSE - LOOK AT THE B W PHOTO...

Agree that it's not Jim Close... agree that it is the 92 minor final ... I had expressed the view that the Ulster Hurling Final once attracted near 20,000 people.... 92 was the biggest ever.... not a kick in the arse off it!

SlimShady

oneill, i think its time you removed your tongue from Sean McGourty's hole. Ok, you work with the scruffy tr**p-big deal. Connor McGourty for the Senior team? Get a f**king grip. He needs 2 more years before looking at it.

aontroim abu

Quote from: cville on November 23, 2006, 10:17:37 AM
JUST TO REFRESH - ANTRIM DOWN GAME CASEMENT 1992 - GO TO SPORTSFILE IRELAND - TYPE IN JIM CLOSE - LOOK AT THE B W PHOTO...

Agree that it's not Jim Close... agree that it is the 92 minor final ... I had expressed the view that the Ulster Hurling Final once attracted near 20,000 people.... 92 was the biggest ever.... not a kick in the arse off it!
ok ok cville - calm your jets before you burst a blood vessel. FFS im only pointing out who really is in the photo

cville

Antrim__Lad

Quote from: aontroim abu on November 23, 2006, 10:09:32 AM
Quote from: Guillem2 on November 22, 2006, 05:57:14 PM
you're 100% right that isnt Jim Close. it is the minor game from 1992 and it is Joe Boyle form Rossa playing for Antrim, dont know who the Down player is

yep, its not Jim Close, it is Joe Boyle from Rossa.

ThatsTheFootball

Slim,
i agree that Cj not ready for county senior but u can say the same thing about crozier and tomas mccann

SlimShady

Mickey Culbert didnt agree when he had them playing in his last few games!!

nrico2006

Your boy cj could be good, give him a year or too. He did well for ur minors this year, but there has been a few more impressive minors around ulster in recent years who havent went straight into senior teams.  As for the older fella, well hes a different story.
I agree that maybe there shud be more st galls players there.  But this mcgourty debate is frustrating.  Yes he maybe shud be on the panel, but to say he wud get on any team in ulster and be many's main man is nonsense.  He has done very little for antrim to suggest differently, and u can hardly read alot into university football. Fair dues, it is good standard, but scoring a few points in a uni match against hung-over players a few years younger than urself doesnt make u great.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ThatsTheFootball

ur right, culberts last few games...in the tommy murphy cup!! when the only players for selection were the 1's who could be bothered!

Frank The Tank

Slim

It's fair to say that the McGourtys are not everyone's cup of tea. But if you have to resort to scummy remarks like that it doesn't say much for you.

My advice to you kido, as one of the characters of this site, is to stop giving them so much bloody air time!
I will just this once.

Kevin McGourty has never produced for Antrim. Why? Because you need a different mentality at that level. Conor McG is an exciting talent. Will he produce at Inter-County Senior level or will he throw toys out of the pram at every opportunity like big bro?
Already showing signs of serious arrogance, I fear the worst.