Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSC

I been reading the following thread fro a few weeks now and I feel its time to join into the discussion.
Point number one, I'm a Creggan lad, so Slim, don't shoot just let.
Firstly Slim, a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. Well all know that you dislike Creggan, fair enough but keep it respectful. I always hated Cargin on the pitch, but enjoyed a drink with the lads after the matches and most Creggan lads' respect how the Cargin club is run. It's called respectful competition.  Although we are a smaller club, I believe that we can be proud of our achievements.
Secondly slim, I notice that you slag off Creggan's two championships as you have the same total. Does that mean St Johns and Bellaghy lads can slag Cargin off as being shite since they would have members who would have twice the championship medals as the Cargin club would have all together, I don't think so, do you?
Thirdly lads, (shady Char included), PH was not kicked out of the Creggan club as the club had no legal position to do so after the rule was abolished. I believe the club asked PH to sit out for a year since we were getting threats about playing matches from a number of clubs before the season started. PH didn't want to do this and I believe there was a split and legal proceedings were threatened. The threats were against our club so we were in a position that we couldn't guarantee U-10, U-12's safety aswell as the seniors. That was the position the club was in.

I believe that history will look kindly on PH, as the sooner we get as many taigs into the PSNI, the better for all of us

SlimShady

jeesh, where do i start...

Quote from: CSC on February 23, 2007, 12:58:34 PM

I always hated Cargin on the pitch, but enjoyed a drink with the lads after the matches and most Creggan lads’ respect how the Cargin club is run.

Bollocks.

''I notice that you slag off Creggan's two championships as you have the same total''

show me where i slagged them?

''the club asked PH to sit out for a year since we were getting threats about playing matches from a number of clubs before the season started. PH didn't want to do this and I believe there was a split''

why should he sit out? because of threats made by people of your own club? (come on now, everyone knows these 'threats' weren't from elsewhere) It was those people who should have been booted out!

''I believe that history will look kindly on PH''

Correct.

''we were getting threats about playing matches from a number of clubs before the season started''

disgraceful lie right there, totally disgraceful.

SlimShady

p.s.

does any of you dudes know when the Championship Draw is taking place? Most other counties have theirs done.

But then again, Antrim isnt most other counties i s'pose!  :-\

Ethan Edwards

Does anyone know the draw for the SWS Antrim Feile Football , there is always some good football played at his level
That'll Be The Day

johnjoe

SW Feile. Dont know full draw, but Stinsons play Lisburn. 

CSC

Slim, just responding to a couple of points.

"Bollocks.

''I notice that you slag off Creggan's two championships as you have the same total''

show me where i slagged them?
Slim"

Right here
Re: Whats the highest Level you've played GAA at?
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 03:59:04 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Correct, thats what i am. A mid 20's flop with more wee gold ones than the whole of Creggans history!!!   

I thought that that comment was a bit cheap, that's all.

Regarding your point
"why should he sit out? because of threats made by people of your own club? (come on now, everyone knows these 'threats' weren't from elsewhere) It was those people who should have been booted out!"

You have a point here slim as I have to take peoples word on the issue. There would be a bit of hearsay with a number of the stories.  There was a number of reported "friendlies' asked for as long as we brought PH etc etc., and a number of requests not to travel with our juv. teams

What I do know is that during the year, in a number of matches when things were getting a bit hot and heavy, the opposition made remarks as to cop lovers, brits, etc, so the club on certain instances were identified with PH joining the PSNI and in my view were targeted.

Personally, I believe we should have played PH as I think it would have been the right thing to do and as we agree, 'I believe that history will look kindly on PH'

Correct.

SlimShady

show me where i slagged Creggans 2 Intermediate wins?

why would I? Sure didnt i play in it myself and won it. Played in lower Championships than that and will again, i have no doubt.

you cant quote me on words i did not say!

Ethan Edwards

'I believe that history will look kindly on PH'

PC Peader the statesman  :D :D :D
That'll Be The Day

Glensman

Any chance you 3/4/5 couldn't change the name of this thread to "South West Antrim Shite"?
Maybe start a new one about football.

Win for the saffrons today...hopefully a couple more before the year is out. Anyone at it? Anyone stand out?

Square Ball

Yeah

good to see for Jody and the boys, this is the ony report i could find, hopefully we get a better one from someone who was at the game.

Two defeats put Jody Gormley's side in relegation trouble
Antrim notched their first NFL Division 2B win of the season when they beat Waterford 1-13 to 0-8 in Dungarvan.
The Saffrons trailed 0-5 to 0-4 at the interval but an Aiden Gallagher goal helped them fight back to win easily.

Antrim had lost their opening two games against Wicklow and Meath and were already looking likely candidates for Division 4 football next season.

Waterford beat Wexford in their opening NFL game while Antrim had been hit by a flu bug leading up to the match.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

imtommygunn

A gritty first half performance when facing into the teeth of a strong breeze set Jody Gormley's Antrim side up for their first win of the League, and their third victory in as many years over a disappointing Waterford side at Dungarvan yesterday.

It was obvious from the start of this tie that wind was going to be a major factor in deciding the result, and when Waterford went in at the break with a slender one-point lead after enjoying the advantage, an Antrim win was very much on the cards.

The visitors picked off three excellent first half points from play with limited opportunities, while the home side persisted in playing a short passing game, and with poor finishing, ran up a total of nine first half wides to Antrim's three.

Waterford started well with top player Gary Hurney back in the side at corner forward, and it looked ominous for Antrim as he shot the home side into the lead in the second minute.

A sideline kick by Mick Ahearn was carried by the breeze and bounced over the bar to give Waterford a two-point lead in the 11th minute, but the hard-working Antrim half-back trio of McGoldrick, Bell and Scullion were giving little away and Waterford had to wait until the 19th minute for a Brian Wall point from a free to take a three-point lead.

In the 22nd minute, Darrel Martin got forward at the end of a good Antrim move to score his side's second point and, as Waterford's wides tally mounted, full-forward Michael McCann sent over a vital Antrim point to leave just one between the sides.

Minutes later O'Lionain was forced off injured to be replaced in attack by Stephen Cunningham and Waterford's last score of the first half came from a Brian Wall free in the 30th minute.

It was Paddy Cunningham who lifted Antrim spirits with a pointed free in the 32nd minute to leave the half-time score 0-5 to 0-4 in Waterford's favour.

Two minutes into the second half Cunningham had the sides level for the first time.

The decisive score came 15 minutes into the second half when, after Sean McVeigh won a great ball in midfield, Aodhan Gallagher raced through the Waterford defence to shoot a great goal for a 1–10 to 0–7 lead.

After 15 minutes without a score it was Michael Rae who increased the Antrim lead with five minutes remaining.

Waterford were reduced to 14 players with three minutes remaining when Eddie Rockett was dismissed for a second yellow card, and a late point from a free by substitute Jason Ryan was all they had to offer before Kevin Niblock had the final say with a point on the final whistle.

Antrim manager Jody Gormley was happy to get the win, his side's first of the League: "It was always going to be difficult coming down here. We knew Waterford were playing well so it was not going to be easy. I was very pleased with the way the players battled for the ball when facing the strong breeze in the first half and trailing by just a single point at the break left us in a good position. We dominated in midfield in the second third of the game."

MATCH STATS

Antrim: S McGreevey, P Doherty, C Lynch,

N Ward, C McGoldrick(0-2), G Bell, T Scullion, D Martin (0-1), S McVeigh, C Brady (0-1), K Brady, A Gallagher (1-0), K. Niblock (0-1), M McCann (0-2), P Cunningham (0-5) Subs:

M Rae (0-1) for K Brady, A McClean for Bell,

C McGourty for C Brady.

Waterford: T Wall, S Briggs, J Phelan, E Walsh, D Hickey, E Rockett, P Ogle, M Ahearn(0-1), J Hurney, B Wall (0-2), G Power, W Hennessy, G Hurney (0-3), A Hubbard, L O'Lionain (0-1). Subs: L Lawlor for J Hurney, T O'Gorman for Phelan, J Ryan (0-1) for Hennessy.

Ref: S. Joyce (Wexford)

SlimShady

Seems to be a great 2nd half performance which is great news as in the past few games we've fallen away in the latter stages. i still think there is a lot of progress to be made though i'm still confident we'll chin the in-breds over the bann in the Championship.

''Eddie Rockett was dismissed for a second yellow card''

his chicken burgers are rotten too.

Gold

Was COLIN Brady playing wing half forward?

Did he score a point?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

The Last Fence

I was talking to one of the boys today... and by all accounts the scre should have been much higher but for a nasty wind
and also said that the team that was shown in the irish news today was not how they lined out!! but i didnt get the line out

Ethan Edwards

Stinsons discussion continued from derry thread,

Max what name would you give the team that Ahoghill merge with , surely this is what Ahoghill have done with Portglenone, they have merged and rather than call the team Portglenone (therefore losing their identity) they have called it Sean Stinsons giving them a new Identity at undergae level.
That'll Be The Day